RIP Prince - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well, the whole Prince library is in need of remastering. Unfortunately Prince won't be around anymore to oversee anything (who knows if he would have anyway).

The ideal move would be to package this into one boxed set: 2 discs for Dream Factory, 1 for Camille, 3 for Crystal Ball, and 2 for a remastered Sign O' The Times. Perhaps a final disc of outtakes from 1986 that didn't make any of these.
Yeah, I held off on mentioning the remastered part in case that got thrown with the “loudness war” aspect of things. But I agree and hopefully someone in the family/Warner Bros. group can look at these things and make sure all of that is taken care of in the process.

I’m still crossing my fingers for a properly remastered version of the extended mix of Computer Blue at some point. The bootleg version sounds decent enough, of course, but I wouldn’t mind being further blown away by a better-sounding track once all’s said and done!

Old 05-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:17 AM
I haven't heard any extended Purple Rain stuff. But I have an alternate version of Parade with longer mixes of Mountains, Anotherloverholeinyohead, and Kiss, as well as four other tracks from the movie/sessions, and it's such a strong period of creativity.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Prince's growth and output from 1999 through The Black Album/Lovesexy (1982 to 1988) has yet to be matched, only The Beatles can claim such a run.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
The original version of Computer Blue is much better and fleshes out the premise of the song so the listener has a complete picture. That would be a no brainer for a Purple Rain box set.

As for Crystal Ball, I tweak the original track listing slightly by moving Forever In My Life to the end of Side 2, as it was ultimately released (I don't like Hot Thing ending the side anyway). I then place U Got The Look at the start of Side 5 before Shockadelica.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #274
Blue Crack Supplier

That sounds good to me. I don't care much for Hot Thing as a side closer, and it's probably one of my least favorite on SOTT. These alt versions are so new to me I hadn't even begun to think about customizing them yet. You could also go one further by bringing back some Dream Factory tracks that didn't survive.

Sign O' The Times runs just shy of 80 minutes. Crystal Ball with U Got The Look added runs 2 hours. I guess it would be an endurance test to create something longer and make it a superior experience, but of course it would still be a lot more consistent than Prince's 3-hour Emancipation.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
The original version of Computer Blue is much better and fleshes out the premise of the song so the listener has a complete picture. That would be a no brainer for a Purple Rain box set.
Completely agree. My understanding was that it was cut down to make way for the last minute addition of Take Me With U?

The first few times I heard Purple Rain as a teenager, I liked the song enough, but even then thought to myself that it'd be a lot better with a second verse and being a tad longer somehow. When I discovered the extender version a number of years down the road, not only was I happy to see that it all existed in the first place, but was completely blown away.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
So this is a post I've been building up to for the last few weeks. I've been listening to all the 1986 material in frequent rotation, and I wanted to break down the evolution of Prince's various projects for those who don't care to read the Wiki entries, let alone the more detailed ones on the PrinceVault website...
Just getting around to reading this - but thanks for the illuminating look at the creative process behind Sign o' the Times.

My one question would be, with all of the high-quality material you say was left on the editing floor from these sessions, why on earth is that live cut of Beautiful Night on there? That to me is the one misstep on the album proper.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Completely agree. My understanding was that it was cut down to make way for the last minute addition of Take Me With U?

It was originally around 12 minutes and then got edited down to 7:30 for the album. It got edited down again when Take Me With U was added.

The 7:30 version was fully mastered and the outtake of it is close to official release quality.

The original longer version exists as well, but the sound quality is rough.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Just getting around to reading this - but thanks for the illuminating look at the creative process behind Sign o' the Times.

My one question would be, with all of the high-quality material you say was left on the editing floor from these sessions, why on earth is that live cut of Beautiful Night on there? That to me is the one misstep on the album proper.

I don't find the song bad, but it's odd to have a single live performance as the second-to-last track on an otherwise all-studio album.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Official says Prince died of opioid overdose
Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
It was originally around 12 minutes and then got edited down to 7:30 for the album. It got edited down again when Take Me With U was added.

The 7:30 version was fully mastered and the outtake of it is close to official release quality.

The original longer version exists as well, but the sound quality is rough.
Interesting stuff. I have the longer version, but am curious to hear the 7:30 version now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Sounds like the full report is coming out tomorrow too.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #281
Blue Crack Supplier

No surprise.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Medical examiner just confirmed... fentanyl was the drug, apparently.

Prince died of accidental overdose of painkillers: Medical examiner's office | MSNBC
Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #283
Blue Crack Distributor

Fentanyl is some seriously scary shit. As in normally used for extreme pain management ... end-stage brain cancer, hospice. If a doctor prescribed that to him for pain management, that is seriously fucked up.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, that sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #285
45:33

Local Time: 04:17 AM