RIP Lou Reed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hiked up the mountain Sunday morning and was sitting on a rock overlooking the city when a friend texted me that he had died. Really loved him and had not followed his liver transplant story so for me it was pretty shocking and sad.

This.

Is that Metallica collabo his last recorded output? Not that it diminishes him in any way, it's just kinda like Orson Welles' final performance being in Transformers.

His last recording was the song "Wanderlust" with the band Metric. Their show last year at Radio City was the one and only time I saw him perform live, it was his last time doing so in NYC, and maybe ever.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRSq-gwUz0[/yt]

Yes, we get it. U2 likes Lou Reed. Not enough to know that Transformer isn't a Velvet Underground album though.

Yes, we get it. U2 likes Lou Reed. Not enough to know that Transformer isn't a Velvet Underground album though.

Surely you know that U2.com content isn't directly written by the band, right?

And anyways, in the actual quote Bono, I think it is, calls it Reed's best work..some of which, as I understand it, was written, recorded and even played live by Velvet Underground :shrug:

Five years later and U2.com hasn't improved at all. Like, I figured at some point they'd at least consider making a move towards competence in such a digital-heavy culture. This band is so passionate about relevance and yet seems to have no fucking clue how the Internet even works.

Five years later and U2.com hasn't improved at all. Like, I figured at some point they'd at least consider making a move towards competence in such a digital-heavy culture. This band is so passionate about relevance and yet seems to have no fucking clue how the Internet even works.

Get off my lawn!! Damn kids!

-the edge

Surely you know that U2.com content isn't directly written by the band, right?

And anyways, in the actual quote Bono, I think it is, calls it Reed's best work..some of which, as I understand it, was written, recorded and even played live by Velvet Underground

I was kidding, having a go at U2 for their website's incompetence.

And no, Bono doesn't say that Transformer is Lou Reed's best work in the article. He uses puns and references to his work ("transformation", "magic and loss") to make a poetic statement about his music in general.

At least we're spared of Larry demolishing Perfect Day.

Man, I couldn't really process the death until I got Boner's thoughts on it. I have closure now.

And no, Bono doesn't say that Transformer is Lou Reed's best work in the article.

My mistake. I misread the capitalized "Transformation" at the beginning of this sentence as "Transformer" lol

'Transformation is at the heart of Lou Reed’s best work'

Good catch :up;

He does however describe Transformer as the Lou Reed album that influenced him greatly, played a song from it on tour a good few times, and then, as you pointed out, made a pun out of the idea of transformation and calling it at the heart of his best work.

So, I think it's pretty safe to say that Bono thinks its one of - if not the - best Lou Reed album (in his opinion) :yes:

And no, Bono doesn't say that Transformer is Lou Reed's best work in the article. He uses puns and references to his work ("transformation", "magic and loss") to make a poetic statement about his music in general.

Not to rehash this but when I read this article I couldn't help but recall our little exchange in this thread. It looks like the U2.com piece was a snippet/paraphrase of the following:

U2's Bono Remembers Lou Reed's 'Perfect Noise' | Music News | Rolling Stone

In which it's pretty plain to me that Bono regards Transformer as being his favorite, if not best, work.

He clearly states, just as in that previous summary of the article, that it was the thing that introduced him to Lou Reed and that he has fond memories of. It is therefore very likely among his favorites, yeah. But he still doesn't call it his best work from the quote you originally took, since he keeps focusing on and praising Velvet Underground afterwards.

Interesting to see him naming Running to Stand Still as being heavily influenced by VU. It seems quite different to Heroin lyrically or "feel-wise" to me, despite the very similar subject matter.

Interesting to see him naming Running to Stand Still as being heavily influenced by VU. It seems quite different to Heroin lyrically or "feel-wise" to me, despite the very similar subject matter.

I remember reading something about that years ago, although I don't remember if it was the band actually saying it or some writer comparing the two. Something about how heroin is the perspective of the junky, running to stand still is the narrator watching others around them become the guy from heroin.

But he still doesn't call it his best work from the quote you originally took, since he keeps focusing on and praising Velvet Underground afterwards.

lol. I've already noted I mistook the original quote from U2.com.

Ultimately, however, I actually did correctly interpret it as being one of, if not the, Lou Reed album that was favorite of his. He certainly didn't focus on any specific VU songs or albums after singling out Transformer, other than a brief mention of Pale Blue Eyes (and what seems to be a reference to Heroin however I vaguely recall them also talking about Walk On The Wild Side and RTSS in the same sentence before :shrug: ) and the fact that they were delighted to have them open for them during Pop. That's not exactly "keeps on focusing on and praising VU afterwards". He's expends two sentences acknowledging VU in terms of being one of the influences that Reed was born out of. Does he even mention any other Lou Reed solo albums or songs outside Transformer?

The songs he/U2 cover of Lou Reed's come solely from Transformer, do they not? Pretty sure they do, but maybe there's a snippet I've forgotten.

Anyways, this is such a ridiculous splitting of hairs because as I mentioned many of the songs from Transformer were first written, recorded, and played live with VU.

The chords are almost identical..during the slower parts of Heroin.

I remember reading something about that years ago, although I don't remember if it was the band actually saying it or some writer comparing the two. Something about how heroin is the perspective of the junky, running to stand still is the narrator watching others around them become the guy from heroin.

Interesting, I hadn't read that. It does make sense though. Do you remember where you might have read that?

Hey guys it's really important that you acknowledge that he's right. Come on, he went out and found PROOF, and was generous enough to share it with us.

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT

Hey guys it's really important that you acknowledge that he's right. Come on, he went out and found PROOF, and was generous enough to share it with us.

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT

You know, while it's certainly flattering that you follow me around seeking my attention, people might get the wrong idea Laz. I'm not interested, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom