RIP Lou Reed - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 PM
From the Random thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
What would you recommend there? I've heard Transformer, Berlin, and Coney Island Baby. Not sure where to go next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Definitely Street Hassle. The title track is probably his best solo song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Definitely New York or his album with John Cale, Songs for Drella.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
New York is also great, yeah. Song-wise maybe even more consistent than Street Hassle, although SH is essential for the title track. I Wanna Be Black sums Lou up in three minutes. The man simply didn't give a fuck.
Lou's Between Thought And Expression was the first box set I ever bought, and aside from Iron Maiden () he may have been the first artist whose backcatalog I explored with the intention of checking out everything (Dylan came a bit later). And like Dylan, even when the albums weren't phenomenal you could count on a handful of exceptional tracks.

Anyway, Street Hassle's title track is up there near the top of his output, but the album itself is uneven. New York is certainly a consistent high point in terms of writing. But I can't imagine anyone familiar with Lou's discography recommending either before The Blue Mask, which is an extremely personal album, dealing with childhood, his marriage, addiction, and his mentor Delmore Schwartz. And the music is out of this world, Lou sharing guitar duties with the great Robert Quine. There might not be a better LR album guitar-wise.

5 Stars from Rolling Stone:

Lou Reed: The Blue Mask : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone

and a very enthusiastic one from Christgau:

The Blue Mask [RCA Victor, 1982]
After this becomes a cult classic, in a week or so, noncultists are gonna start complaining. "My Dedalus to your Bloom/Was such a perfect wit"? And then bringing in "perfect" again for a rhyme? What kind of "spirit of pure poetry" is that? One that honors the way people really talk. Never has Lou sounded more Ginsbergian, more let-it-all-hang-out than on this, his most controlled, plainspoken, deeply felt, and uninhibited album. Even his unnecessarily ideological heterosexuality is more an expression of mood than a statement of policy; he sounds glad to be alive, so that horror and pain become occasions for courage and eloquence as well as bitterness and sarcasm. Every song comes at the world from a slightly different angle, and every one makes the others stronger. Reed's voice--precise, conversational, stirring whether offhand or inspirational--sings his love of language itself, with Fernando Saunders's bass articulating his tenderness and the guitars of Robert Quine and Reed himself slashing out with an anger he understands better all the time. A

I also highly recommend the late-period Set The Twilight Reeling, which is probably his second-best guitar album, but this time he's playing everything himself. To say that it's drenched in feedback is an understatement. And while it mostly kicks ass, there's also some tender stuff in there as well, like his tribute to the recently-deceased Sterling Morrison.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Very saddened by this news.
I think my discovery of the first VU record made me realise there was this whole other musical world outside the mainstream. I loved his New York street poetry. Street Hassle is a brilliant song. And a brilliant short story too.
Over the past week, when I was on holiday in NYC I kept hearing his songs in my head, especially those from the New York album as they referred several specific locations.

He will be terribly missed.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
45:33

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Listened to Transformer on the way to work this morning. A great record. The more I think about him the sadder I get, he was obviously one of the most influential people in music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Is that Metallica collabo his last recorded output? Not that it diminishes him in any way, it's just kinda like Orson Welles' final performance being in Transformers.
Don't forget this track!

Gorillaz (feat. Lou Reed) - Some Kind Of Nature - YouTube
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #19

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 PM
RIP.
Sad news.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Those two chicks with Lou are pretty hot.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #22

Twitter, news websites and music blogs can't seem to agree on the wording of Eno's quote.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
Refugee

velvet underground - venus in furs - YouTube
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #24

"Are you a homosexual or a transvestite?" "Sometimes."
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Lou Reed reviews 'Yeezus'

I guess this caused a minor Internet stir a few months back, though I didn't read it at the time. Anyway, DAMN. Beautifully written and thoroughly thoughtful analysis. Completely shames every other review of Yeezus that I read, Lou just nails what makes it work as an album.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
"Are you a homosexual or a transvestite?" "Sometimes."
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Lou Reed reviews 'Yeezus' I guess this caused a minor Internet stir a few months back, though I didn't read it at the time. Anyway, DAMN. Beautifully written and thoroughly thoughtful analysis. Completely shames every other review of Yeezus that I read, Lou just nails what makes it work as an album.
Yeah I loved that. Contrast that with the interview I posted!

I got stuck in a Wikipedia wormhole today and read up on Reed and Andy Warhol. It always amazes me that society has become a lot more prudish in the years since.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #28

What do people here think of Metal Machine Music? Anyone sat through it? I've read a wide range of opinions today, some condemning it as an absolute piece of shit, some respecting it for what it represents (a middle finger to his label, or just a big fuck you to preconceived notions of what an artist should do), some claiming it as a progenitor or punk/noise rock, some saying it's misunderstood genius and others genuinely loving it.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:01 AM
From VU's wiki page: " In a 1982 interview Brian Eno made the often repeated statement that while the first Velvet Underground album may have sold only 30,000 copies in its early years, "everyone who bought one of those 30,000 copies started a band." "
Old 10-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Lou Reed reviews 'Yeezus'

I guess this caused a minor Internet stir a few months back, though I didn't read it at the time. Anyway, DAMN. Beautifully written and thoroughly thoughtful analysis. Completely shames every other review of Yeezus that I read, Lou just nails what makes it work as an album.
Is this legit? Like, I'm a little surprised Lou knows the origin of certain samples, or referencing Kanye videos...like I'm not saying I thought he was out of touch, but this seems a little too finger-on-the-pulse.