Review the Last Album You Listened To (No Lists)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Let's just see if a thread like this goes anywhere, or if there's no point having it and Random Music, I'd just like to see.

Anyways, pretty much went through with it because I really loved this album and would recommend it to anyone willing to listen:

Wilderness Heart by Black Mountain : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music

It has some folk elements to it, along with heavier rock.

This song is not in the slightest indicative of their sound but I enjoyed it:

YouTube - Black Mountain-The Space Of Your Mind

And a better indication of their sound and also a favorite of mine:

YouTube - Black Mountain - Sadie 2010

On Rate Your Music I gave it a 4/5

On a 1-10 I'd give it somewhere between a 7.5 and an 8.0. Very good, very fun record.

I just listened to the entire Animal Collective discography, and, though I have heard these albums before, I thought I might offer some thoughts on the direction of this particular band's work.

I see the discography breaking down as follows:

1. Spirit They're Gone, Danse Manatee, and Campfire Songs: These three albums are heavily atmospheric. They float around the listener rather than striking directly, evoking the feeling of staring at the night sky. The result is an experience that, although lacking in stand-out moments, is highly impressionistic. I find that all three make sublime background music.

2. Here Comes the Indian and Sung Tongs: I find these two albums nearly unlistenable for the simple reason that they too often confuse cacophony for texture. This is the sound of a band trying incredibly hard to warrant the designation of "avant-garde." Thus, although these albums are purported to represent the organic and spontaneous, almost every song sounds forced.

3. Feels: This album stands out to me as the juncture of the eccentricities of the early albums and the pop sensibilities that were to follow. The latter half of the album, as exemplified by "Loch Raven," is hauntingly beautiful, maintaining subtlety in places where the band previously would have exploded into chaos (see "The Softest Voice" on Sung Tongs). I feel that this is their strongest album to date.

4. Strawberry Jam and Merriweather Post Pavilion: Although the term "accessible" is not terribly meaningful in relation to music, I think that these two albums can be accurately described as striving for greater accessibility. Enough has already been said, I suppose, about both of them, and I am sure that almost all of us have heard Merriweather. I think that both are excellent at points ("My Girls" and "No More Runnin" especially), but hardly the cultural pinnacles that some would have us believe.

fuck to the yes Ashley! i was gonna make this but i forgot.

i just listened to Down the Way, by Angus and Julia Stone, the Australian indie brother & sister outfit who have taken the country by storm.

the album came out ages ago, but i didn't listen to it, sort of out of spite. i wanted to hate this album, just because of the way everyone's fallen for it and quotes it on facebook and think it's the greatest music to ever exist (even though there's American and British groups making much better music, but god forbid should they ever listen to anything that's not played on triple j).

but it's not bad. the folky, nasally vocals they both put on can be annoying but there's some good tunes.

the big hit (overrated & a good example of what i'm talking about):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTvbcNhEgc

album opener and probably best track (despite the vocals):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0VKlQl5fOc

cut about 25/30 minutes off the record and it'd be more bearable.

i implore people to get on board with this thread!!! it would create some good discussion!!!

Here Comes the Indian: nearly unlistenable, too often confuse cacophony for texture. This is the sound of a band trying incredibly hard to warrant the designation of "avant-garde."

4. Merriweather Post Pavilion: I think that both are excellent at points ("My Girls" and "No More Runnin" especially), but hardly the cultural pinnacles that some would have us believe.

yep. i heard Slippi from impy's DI list and hated it, for the reason you mentioned above.

MPP however is pretty good (though had i heard it last year it still wouldn't have been high on my list) but no it's not the cultural pinnacle.

Speaking of Animal Collective, just finished Avey Tare's solo joint. I've gotta say, if it weren't for the fact that this whole album is, "Oh hai, I'm Avey Tare. Perhaps you've heard of my other band, Animal Collective? They sound just like this, only not mediocre." maybe I would've liked it? Ok, probably not.

2/5

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

I 'discovered' them at a festival this past summer. Yes, I'd heard of them before (and heard the singles like Little Lion Man), but never really paid much attention. Their performance floored me, quite an intensity. And the same can be said about this album. At times their modern folk music (which at times sounds also a lot like old folk music) is incredibly intense. Dust Bowl Dance is one of those intense highlights.
Not everything reaches that height, so the album is not an absolute masterpiece. But it's a very promising debut.

A

The Cave and Dust Bowl Dance, from their appearance at the Lowlands festival (so I should be somewhere there in the audience :) )
YouTube - Mumford & Sons "The Cave" and "Dust Bowl Dance" @ Lowlands 2010

Forgiveness Rock Record. Still love it. Still my favourite BSS record. So many great songs, and only the unnecessary final track is really a bad song. Theres the epic World Sick, the thrilling Chase Scene & Meet Me in the Basement, the outstanding Art House Director (complete with down under namecheck), the more contemplative numbers in All to All, Sentimental X's, Romance to the Grave and the ever awesome Water in Hell.

9/10

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator

Blues albums don't seem to get discussed/recommended around here very often, but this one is awesome. One of the best slide guitarists alive combined with a wonderfully full-throated blues singer, who also happens to be his wife. 5/5.

Essential track: Midnight in Harlem

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

I can't form a definite opnion on this album yet because I've only listened to the whole thing twice and I feel like there's a lot more to discover. It does feel overlong. That's mainly because of the shorter tracks and interludes which are boring and don't add anything to the album. Of course there are plenty of tracks that make the album worth listening especially in the first half. If there is one thing Sufjan is good at it's making bombastic folk songs. My favourite is Casimir Pulaski Day.
Still, I think his last album is vastly superiour to this one. Probably a good unpopular opinion.

Okkervil River - I Am Very Far

If you don't like this album, I will box your ears.

Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2

I find this album extremely enjoyable.

Laura Cantrell - Not the trembling kind

my oh my
this album is just fabulous
musicianship, lyrics, melodies and the voice!

beautiful

cobl04 said:
I'll come back to it. Maybe I'll give one of their others a spin first. I'd like to like it.

Stage Names next. If you don't like it, you should have your ears boxed.

New album from Polish alternative rock band, Myslovitz.

8f836696258984e6b62b54fe1ebee103.jpg

This is the first album that I've listened to by these guys, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. A relatively short and punchy running time (40 minutes). I don't really have much else to add other than I can't really say much about it after just one listen, but it is a very enjoyable album. This band in Poland are regarded as the "Polish Radiohead" however their style I find similar to that of the Swedish band Kent (mainly in the vocals, I would say).

The opener would have to be the pick of the bunch thus far.

YouTube - ‪Myslovitz - Skaza‬‏

It's no Mirrored (what really is?), but I certainly think it's worth your time if you're at all a fan of the band. No Braxton? No problem!

%D0%A1%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD_-_%D0%A0%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D1%85%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%8B%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%B9.jpg

This would have to be very close to my favourite album of the 2000s, it's not particularly long but an incredible joy. It finds the perfect mix of modern/"fresh" Western alternative rock music and traditional Russian rock. (I do have a deep interest in bands off the beaten path (UK, USA etc), and these guys would have to be among my top five artists of all time and for good reason)

YouTube - ‪Семь восьмых‬‏

Back
Top Bottom