Remain in Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Remain in Light - Talking Heads - 1980

TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg

1. Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On) (Byrne, Eno) – 5:46
2. Crosseyed and Painless (Byrne, Eno) – 4:45
3. The Great Curve – 6:26
4. Once in a Lifetime – 4:19
5. Houses in Motion – 4:30
6. Seen and Not Seen – 3:20
7. Listening Wind – 4:42
8. The Overload – 6:00

Quite simply one of the most influencial and best albums of all time.

Appreciate.

It's a hard album to get into, at least for me. There's a fuckload going on with the production - the polyrhythms take a while to swallow on each track.

I hate when people do this and just say how they like one single from an album, but yeah Once in a Lifetime is a brilliant song - especially the production at the end where the distorted razor-sharp guitar comes in to solidify the end of the track.

I still prefer Talking Heads: 77.

Also these threads are nice, but it wold help a bit if you could break down why it's such a great album in the original post. I think "Selected Ambient Works 85-92" from Aphex Twin is some amazing influential ambient music, but most people reading that will go "Okay fantastic never heard of it."

It can be a hard album to get into. That's because it's so incredible deep and thick with musical and technical concepts and treatments. It's also one of the most rewarding albums I own. I don't listen to it all the time, but when I start to get burnt out on certain albums I can always come back to this (and a lot of Talking Heads Albums really, but this one specifically) and always discover something new.

oh yeah, great album
Once in a Lifetime does show the one relative flaw though
that song has a certain catchyness that the rest 'lacks'
which makes it an album I don't often listen to

the live versions (of all their early albums really) on 'The name of this band is Talking Heads' though is a completely different story :love:

I wouldn't say the rest 'lacks' catchiness. It's just more hidden under the complexity of the songs. And by that I mean, the songs on this album are really deep, and can take a while to really dig into and discover everything, but on the surface, I'd say half of them are still pretty catchy. Crosseyed and Painless, The Great Curve, and Houses in Motion are pretty catchy I thought, the first time I heard them.

Yes.

But Fear of Music and Speaking in Tongues are pretty much tied for second best in my opinion.

This is such a goddamn great album.

Really. It is.

One of the best of all time. No joke.

I might give it a listen tonight.

So good. :drool:

Edit: In addition, Fear of Music is their second best and '77 is their third best. All three are classics, though. Hell, even Speaking in Tongues and More Songs About Buildings And Food are really, really great. And Little Creatures has "And She Was."

Talking Heads in general = :drool:

Last edited:
Lancemc said:
I wouldn't say the rest 'lacks' catchiness. It's just more hidden under the complexity of the songs. And by that I mean, the songs on this album are really deep, and can take a while to really dig into and discover everything, but on the surface, I'd say half of them are still pretty catchy. Crosseyed and Painless, The Great Curve, and Houses in Motion are pretty catchy I thought, the first time I heard them.
I'm well able to listen t music
'deep' or not

I love Remain in Light
and I recognize its importance
doesn't change that it will always remain an album I won't listen too as much as I would have if only 2 more well placed songs would have the same qualities as that song
as some of the live versions do have

Salome said:

doesn't change that it will always remain an album I won't listen too as much as I would have if only 2 more well placed songs would have the same qualities as that song
as some of the live versions do have

I think something we all can agree on is the fact that more or less every Talking Heads song is better live than in the studio.

Except "Animals," that is. But that's the exception to the rule.

"Animals" studio = :drool:

Back
Top Bottom