Red Hot Chili Peppers Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey AttnKleinkind, good to see that you're chipping away at that post count. Me too.. ;)

The majority of my favourite RHCP songs happen to be the released singles scattered across their various albums, so without knowing which of the better known songs you're already into I can't really recommend any other standouts. You can't go wrong with any of their singles, perhaps there are some earlier ones that you haven't heard, such as Knock Me Down and Behind the Sun etc.

As for albums, I don't have any of the funkier ones released before Blood Sugar Sex Magik (only the sample on the What Hits?! compilation that someone else has already mentioned) but haven't yet been disappointed by any of their more recent efforts. I think these are more accessible and I'd start with them before you work your way backwards, which I should also do at some point. Have fun!

Listen to Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Mother's Milk (their best IMHO - perfect combination of funk, melody and that fuck-around Chili image that was lost in the last 10 years). Ignore the last 2 records.

Mother's Milk.

This is more rock then funk, if you ask me. The best-known song on the album is their great cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground, but there are a handful of other standout tracks, like Knock Me Down, Magic Johnson, Nobody Weird Like Me, Stone Cold Bush, Good Time Boys etc. It's also the first album with John Frusciante, after the death of their original guitarist.

I agree with a lot of the earlier posters.

Californication
BloodSugarSexMagic

Those are the best ones IMO. Stadium is good, esp. Disc 1 but I don't think it reaches the heights of those 2.

Here's what I would suggest:

Start off with Blood then Californication, BTW and Stadium.

Once you've enjoyed those, go back to Mother's Milk and then One Hot Minute.

Now, if you've become increasingly hardcore about the Chilis, then you get into The Uplift Mofo Party with original guitarist, Hillel Slovak.

And finally, to complete your obsession with the Red Hots, you listen to their first two albums, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Freaky Styley.

My favorite Chili song is Dosed.

lazarus said:
Mother's Milk.

This is more rock then funk, if you ask me. The best-known song on the album is their great cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground, but there are a handful of other standout tracks, like Knock Me Down, Magic Johnson, Nobody Weird Like Me, Stone Cold Bush, Good Time Boys etc. It's also the first album with John Frusciante, after the death of their original guitarist.

Knock Me Down and Good Time Boys are masterpieces. Nobody Weird Like Me, Subway To Venus, Stone Cold Bush... all awesome. The best Chili album.

"Wet Sand" is my favorite track (from Stadium Arcadium). I'm also a big fan of "I Could Have Lied" and "Under the Bridge."

Californication, Stadium Arcadium, or their Greatest Hits. You can't go wrong with any of those. :up:

Okay, well, you want the more "obscure songs" after looking at the first post. Album by album, this is an "off the charts" look at the band. The first few albums, however, I may include major songs just because they were still underground and a lot of people don't know them:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Out in LA
True Men Don't Kill Coyotes

Freakey Styley
American Ghost Dance
Blackeyed Blonde
Catholic School Girls Rule

Uplift Mofo Party Plan
Behind the Sun
Skinny Sweaty Man
Me and My Friends

Mother's Milk
Nobody Weird Like Me
Johnny, Kick a Hole in the Sky

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The Power of Equality
Sir Psycho Sexy (you want to talk about a SICK song in the best way possible)
I Could Have Lied
The Righteous and the Wicked

One Hot Minute
Coffee Shop
Shallow be Thy Game

Californication
Easily
Parallel Universe
Get on Top
Right on Time

By the Way
Dosed (!!!!!!)
Universally Speaking
Venice Queen
Tear

Stadium Arcadium
Charlie
Wet Sand (!)
Make You Feel Better

My favourite is By the Way, you simply cannot go wrong with it. Some of the earlier, funkier stuff is awesome as well.

But right now, you NEED to download Don't Forget Me, Venice Queen and Freaky Stylely.

I looove Venice Queen.

Also 'I Could Have Lied' is classic.
One of my favorite songs ever.

I just told him, as he was leaving the restaurant (California Vegan), how his book helped me during a period of severe depression. I thanked him for his art and shook his hand. He was grateful and exceptionally humble. You can get the sense that he really is at peace within himself. Cool spirit.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers Thread!!!

I am seriously into this band, but around these here parts there just isn't enough talk about them. They are all (maybe with the exception of Kiedis) very talented and I think they are truly a worthy band to be chatted about for many pages.

So here else out there is a big fan, fan, fanatic, scarily obsessive-compulsive, looking to get into them?

My favourite album is without a doubt By the Way, it was a fantastic collection of songs, and it's closely followed by one of their earlier efforts, Freakey Stylely. Can't Stop is my favourite song.

I saw Chad, Flea (on trumpet), Johnny F and some weird emo-looking keyboardist perform an improvisational 30-minute jam at Fed Square here in Melbourne about two or three years ago and it blew my mind.

Love, love love.

The "weird emo" would be Josh Klinghoffer, a buddy of Frusciante's.

Kiedis makes this band difficult to enjoy, but I love Frusciante, especially his solo work.

I love them, not a fanatic, but yes, love them.
Anthony is really HOT with long hair! :hyper:

Desecration Smile video makes me LAUGH! I love how high Flea looks! :happy:

Top favs are:

Give It Away
Dani California
Scar Tissue
Higher Ground
The Zepher Song

I own Slane DVD and think its great. Also enjoyed their BBC performance months and months back. :up::up:

The "weird emo" would be Josh Klinghoffer, a buddy of Frusciante's.

Kiedis makes this band difficult to enjoy, but I love Frusciante, especially his solo work.

:lol: He copped some shit from us that night :D

Glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't a Kiedis fan. Do you know most of Frusciante's solo work, including all his reallly drugged up, Usually Just a T-Shirt work? It's fucked.

Really good band...have most of their albums here on my pc.

On Mercury is one of the best tunes of this decade. :up:

I dislike the commercial, softer sound of their post-One Hot Minute records, despite some solid tracks being on there. By the Way is especially incredibly dull.

Their work in the 80's and early 90's is amazing. Mother's Milk is one of my favorite albums. And I care to believe that One Hot Minute is vastly underrated.

Good Time Boys and Knock Me Down are classics. I especially miss that bizarre Peppers sense of humor that made their early records so special. Since Californication they've taken themselves way too seriously.

Kinda parallels U2's career a bit.

double post

But to add, I Could Have Lied is their best song.

Back
Top Bottom