Red Hot Chili Peppers Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first listen (of the first 12 songs, it is too long) left me feeling ... somewhat bored.

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't a bad song there and the musicianship (especially Chad Smith and Flea) is great to magnificent, but it was all very mid-tempo.

Could just be that I was in the wrong frame of mind.
Will try it again.

My first listen (of the first 12 songs, it is too long) left me feeling ... somewhat bored.

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't a bad song there and the musicianship (especially Chad Smith and Flea) is great to magnificent, but it was all very mid-tempo.

Could just be that I was in the wrong frame of mind.
Will try it again.

Yeah I think that could have been remedied by cutting a couple tracks from the album.

I gave the album a listen while driving for an hour the other day and there’s some cool tracks but it felt like the album lacked variety.

I feel like the first part of the album is actually the weakest. Tracks 6 through 10 is where it really picks up and gets more interesting, and they probably could have dropped a couple of the later tracks as well. Love 'The Heavy Wing'.

All in all a solid effort, I'd probably rank it slightly below Stadium Arcadium, and well below By The Way and Californication, from their post-Navarro output.

Last edited:
Why is it so long :sad:.

It's really solid for so long, but it just keeps going and going and going. Why do they keep doing this?

Going to have to butcher this one just like Stadium Arcadium so that I can ever actually sit down and enjoy it.

Bastards of light is a great tune,love the breakdown. But The Heavy Wing is the best song on the album. I listened to the broken record podcast with Anthony and John, gives the songs a different perspective.

Really loving a few songs (The Heavy Wing, Black Summer among a few others), but as others have said, it plods along for way too long. Solid, but nowhere near the Californication-By The Way-Stadium Arcadium era and I would even rank The Getaway as a better, more varied and more memorable album. Other than the previous songs I mentioned, I don't think anything else matches Dark Necessities, The Getaway, The Longest Wave, Goodbye Angels, Encore and others on their last release.

We'll see, maybe it'll grow on me but after about 4 listens it's an exercise in patience to make it through and is overly monotonous.

I've listened to Unlimited Love twice and (to me) it's a grower. After the 2nd listen, I was digging the songs more. I do most of my music listening in the car, so the album didn't seem "too long" to me.

This album is a grower.

On first listen I was disappointed. Couldn’t put my finger on it, but the songs seemed to blend together with nothing fantastic.

After 6 weeks of listening, It’s a good album.

Best songs on the album:

She’s a Lover
Watchu Thinkin’
White Braids & Pillow Chair
Bastards of Light
Let Em Cry
The Heavy Wing

Pretty good:

Black Summer
Here Ever After
Aquatic Mouth Dance
It’s Only Natural

Above are all songs I’ve put into pretty steady rotation.

Haven’t listened to the songs below more than once or twice, but seemed ok. Will eventually revisit:

The Great Apes
Poster Child

Dogshit songs that I couldn’t make through one listen:

These are the Ways
Not the One
Veronica
One Way Traffic
Tangelo

This album feels like parts 3 and 4 of Stadium Arcadium. Similar sounds, production and style.

I love Stadium Arcadium, but would’ve liked some variety on Unlimited Love.

The biggest pet peeve of the album is lack of high points, like the solo on Wet Sand.

Frusciante shines but he’s underutilized.

Flea and Chad Smith bring the heat as usual.

Kiedis brings the usual meaningless nonsense lyrics. I don’t mind it too much though because most of the time I don’t know what he’s saying anyway. I’ve learned not to read the lyrics to preserve my enjoyment of the songs.

It’ll be interesting to see how this album sounds live.

Still comfortably their best record imo. I get songs from it stuck in my head all the time. Venice Queen, I Could Die For You and Throw Away Your Television are three of my fav tracks that don't get as much love (well, Venice Queen probably does). I think Can't Stop is as perfect a pop song as has been written this millennium. The lyrics are nonsense for the most part but it's as good a performance as it gets from Keidis, and he's just expertly held by Flea, Chad and John. A complete earworm that hasn't left my head for 20 years.

I really fell in love with Venice Queen after finding out the meaning behind the lyrics, and also being turned onto the amazing live performance from Slane. Don't Forget Me is another excellent deeper cut from the album.

Not sure if this ever got shared here. Flea talking to Edge for an hour. First I had heard it.

Ehhhh I dunno abouoh hello the strokes as the opener in DC
And 11 months later... hey, the Strokes are opening!

This is technically the second concert I'll get to post COVID (third if you count an Unforgettable Fire show in March)... but the last one was a Dave Matthews Band show I was dragged into going to so definitely looking forward to seeing The Strokes tonight. If RHCP don't play Under The Bridge I'm going to throw a shoe at Flea.

You got about a 50/50 chance of getting Under The Bridge. I think it’s dumb they don’t play it every show. Give the people what they want!

Yeah that bodes well. You’ll likely get Can’t Stop for the opener since they played Around The World in Philly

The show was great but Frusciante played about 20 seconds of Under The Bridge to open the encore before he stopped and they played I Could have Lied instead. I, and many others, were not thrilled.

Lol, that's so ridiculous. Several times its been on the printed setlist as the encore opener, and then they opt out of it and play Soul to Squeeze or I Could Have Lied.

It's like Frusciante will only play it if he's in the right mood or something.

How are the new songs live? I wanna see them early next year but the cheapest tickets are 170 fuckin dollars, for absolute nosebleeds. 200 minimum for GA.

The show was great but Frusciante played about 20 seconds of Under The Bridge to open the encore before he stopped and they played I Could have Lied instead. I, and many others, were not thrilled.

From the day I first heard the album, I've always preferred I Could Have Lied to Under the Bridge. Fantastic solo.

Bravo to Frusciante for not feeling obligated to play to the cheap seats. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom