Red Hot Chili Peppers Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it looks like in most markets Peppers are using less than 2/3rds of the stadium. So paired with openers like that, and having a loooooong time with tix on sale, they will do fine.

I noticed too that the Stones were also not selling a larger than usual section of the stadiums on this tour. I know that there were a LOT of available tickets, especially lower bowl, a few days before the show here in Nashville.

Looked at a recent boxscore from july/august. Interesting. Billy Joel doing well with a couple stadium shows in the NorthEast. But Foo Fighters playing to only 15,000 at Madison Square Garden. The Eagles doing 2 nights there, but only playing to 22,000 over two nights. And then they only played to 6000 people at the Capital 1 arena in DC.

Kinda good U2 isn't out on the road right now. It seems like there may be a bit of over saturation with everyone jumping back into touring at once.

Interesting that they’re playing stadiums in the US. I don’t think they’ve done that before.

Went on the Ticketmaster app with the presale yesterday. Santa Clara. Debacle. I only wanted Pit tickets. Kept showing $250 per ticket. Every time I chose it, it came up as someone else for the tickets first and would send me back in the queue.

Then, the same tickets were $350 then $600+

Wtf is that?

The show is so far out that I’ll just take my chances on stubhub a few days before.

But man, am I pumped to hear the new stuff with Frusciante!

i'm definitely going to see this show but it's like 60/30/10 for thundercat/RHCP/strokes. i wouldn't bother if frusciante wasn't back in the band.

Well it looks like in most markets Peppers are using less than 2/3rds of the stadium. So paired with openers like that, and having a loooooong time with tix on sale, they will do fine.

I noticed too that the Stones were also not selling a larger than usual section of the stadiums on this tour. I know that there were a LOT of available tickets, especially lower bowl, a few days before the show here in Nashville.

Looked at a recent boxscore from july/august. Interesting. Billy Joel doing well with a couple stadium shows in the NorthEast. But Foo Fighters playing to only 15,000 at Madison Square Garden. The Eagles doing 2 nights there, but only playing to 22,000 over two nights. And then they only played to 6000 people at the Capital 1 arena in DC.

Kinda good U2 isn't out on the road right now. It seems like there may be a bit of over saturation with everyone jumping back into touring at once.

It's not just oversaturation. Olds are more hesitant than the youngs to get back out arm to arm with a stranger in a crowded setting. That will take some time to return to normal.

Downtowns in many metro areas are also on life support right now. People haven't returned to the office and many who lived there and are still able to work remotely have moved away for more space. This will inevitably hurt ticket sales.

In the case of Eagles? They're totally washed, have had about 8 final tours already, and are the very definition of mailing it in. It's about time they transitioned to playing the local amphitheater circuit with Chicago.

We could be in a nuclear holocaust and New Yorkers would still find a way to see Billy Joel.

We could be in a nuclear holocaust and New Yorkers would still find a way to see Billy Joel.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

So what's with this dynamic pricing thing, is this new? I've seen it in the last few shows I've tried to buy tickets to. Are they literally raising ticket prices as demand increases, or am I misunderstanding?

I’m shocked so many people are active to talk about RHCP. I used to love em, but they’ve really dropped for me.

Couple factors, IMO:

1) They've always been pretty popular on this message board
2) This is basically a reunion tour, so people are excited.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

So what's with this dynamic pricing thing, is this new? I've seen it in the last few shows I've tried to buy tickets to. Are they literally raising ticket prices as demand increases, or am I misunderstanding?

They've been using it for a few years now and getting bolder with it as time goes on. They raise prices based on demand, usually during an onsale you will see it happening.
Coupled with basically every "good" seat now being listed as "Platinum" its really getting tricky to find good seats at what should be face value.
The reverse is that if a show doesn't sell out, you can sometimes get tickets cheaper as show date approaches, but of course that's a gamble that the demand won't be there.
And as you'd expect they are much quicker to raise prices at even the slightest hint of demand than they are to lower them.

Couple factors, IMO:

1) They've always been pretty popular on this message board
2) This is basically a reunion tour, so people are excited.

This hasn't been true in my experience. Back when Stadium Arcadium came out in 2006, there were fair number of fans here, yes, but as a huge fan myself, it's been a struggle to drum up much interest here since John departed in 2009.

Some of it is people not being excited by their material with Klinghoffer(I think they wrote some great stuff with him, even if it's not as consistent or often as interesting guitar-wise as their material with John), but some of it is also just the typical "they only write about California and sex and drugs lulz" stuff that gets tiring.

So I think the level of interest right now is 100% your #2 - because John is back, and a lot of people never thought they'd get the chance to see them with him again. It's an exciting time to be a fan of the band and their upcoming album is by far my most anticipated record of 2022. May well be setting myself up for disappointment, but I hope not.

I’m shocked so many people are active to talk about RHCP. I used to love em, but they’ve really dropped for me.

When did they drop for you?

John's second stint with the band(Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium) is pretty highly regarded outside of the real old-school fans who loved them with Hillel and and think they became a MOR pop-rock band when John came back the first time.

Their material with Klinghoffer doesn't quite reach those heights but, like I said above, I think they wrote some worthwhile stuff with him too.

When did they drop for you?

John's second stint with the band(Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium) is pretty highly regarded outside of the real old-school fans who loved them with Hillel and and think they became a MOR pop-rock band when John came back the first time.

Their material with Klinghoffer doesn't quite reach those heights but, like I said above, I think they wrote some worthwhile stuff with him too.

Around 2012. I think it was a mixture of lack of interesting content but also my tastes changed. Those were my college years. I’ve since stopped calling them one of my favorite bands and do not typically list them whenever I’m sharing music I like. It’s not to say I don’t like them, so much as they’re lukewarm for me and not otherwise strongly representative of music I adore.

They've been using it for a few years now and getting bolder with it as time goes on. They raise prices based on demand, usually during an onsale you will see it happening.
Coupled with basically every "good" seat now being listed as "Platinum" its really getting tricky to find good seats at what should be face value.
The reverse is that if a show doesn't sell out, you can sometimes get tickets cheaper as show date approaches, but of course that's a gamble that the demand won't be there.
And as you'd expect they are much quicker to raise prices at even the slightest hint of demand than they are to lower them.
Yea it's the industry's way of counteracting the secondary market. If a ticket that retails for $100 fetches $500 on StubHub, why not do the same with the actual ticket before it even gets to the secondary?

It actually makes business sense and is technically fair to the artist and promoter alike, yet somehow still comes off as slimy and shitty.

Because its not technically fair to the consumer.

Oh, it’s fair. TM calls it out on their platform that pricing may be subject to change due to demand, etc. Only very recently has the dynamic pricing been enacted during *presales*. Which is what comes off as especially slimy and shitty. For instance, with RHCP, if you didn’t have an Amex, you’re paying $50+ more per ticket the following day when the mailing list presale code is active.

It could be worse - a few months ago, I watched as a Genesis Verified Fan presale pulled tickets off the system and re-listed them higher within the first hour. To me, the online ticket buying experience has gotten less tolerable with the “waiting room” and random virtual queue placement antics. I preferred the old “first refresh, first in, first access” system.

It could be worse - a few months ago, I watched as a Genesis Verified Fan presale pulled tickets off the system and re-listed them higher within the first hour..

That's nothing.
I was checking out the on sale for the Black Crowes for their 2020 tour before the world went to shit, clicked on some tickets and when they went into my cart they were magically $30 higher than the price when I added them.
The shenanigans are borderline criminal.

That's nothing.

I was checking out the on sale for the Black Crowes for their 2020 tour before the world went to shit, clicked on some tickets and when they went into my cart they were magically $30 higher than the price when I added them.

The shenanigans are borderline criminal.

Funny thing, as that tour was going to be undersold even before the pandemic. The Crowes are no longer an amphitheater band unless it’s a co-headline tour, and even then it’s a stretch.

I think I would classify myself as a moderate RHCP fan. When they release a new album, I buy it ASAP. I saw them in 2000 when they co-headlined with STP. My primary focus for that night were the Chilis, BUT STP stole the show. The Chilis were great, but STP were better. Nobody owned the stage like Weiland. When John left, Josh did a fine job, and honestly, I don't think they lost a step. I'm happy John is back and I can't wait for the new music, but I won't be schlepping to Metlife to see their show.

Because its not technically fair to the consumer.

ehhhh i don't think it's fair, but i also don't think it's necessarily unfair, per se.

it's different, and a change. the only people who really notice are the hardcore fans that are always first on line. THESE are the people that are screwed by it more than anyone else. but these were also the people who were getting screwed by the old way where the majority of tickets would end up on the secondary market at absurd prices.

i don't think there is a solution to the ticketing issue that is going to be fair. someone will get screwed.

This hasn't been true in my experience. Back when Stadium Arcadium came out in 2006, there were fair number of fans here, yes, but as a huge fan myself, it's been a struggle to drum up much interest here since John departed in 2009.

Honestly, I was specifically thinking of Stadium Arcadium times. I remember being hugely surprised by how much discussion there was about the band at the time because they didn't seem like a very Interference-like band to get so much attention.

how the hell does ticketmaster get away with more than doubling the price of every ticket in the stadium overnight between the presale and the public sale? the seats that i had my eye on at $155 last night during the presale were $340 when i was able to buy them this morning. fuck that, no sale. and like half the seats in the stadium are apparently completely unavailable to anyone who doesn't have an american express credit card. ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yep. The tickets I looked at during the presale that were $70 were $130. I'll see what's available the week of the show. What a bummer.

Simply not worth the money. Are they even going to have stadium level production for what they’re charging or the standard shed with side screens? Maybe they’re banking on summer 2022 being the truth to live music normalcy we all hoped for this past summer and demand to match. But may be tough to sell stadium nosebleeds at $150 a pop. They’ve got plenty of time to tweak prices to take advantage of demand ebb and flow.

Tickets definitely aren't moving quickly here in Nashville. Like I said, they're using maybe 60% of the stadium, and I would say that after a few days of sales, they maybe have 35% of tickets sold. Prices didn't jump much here, which would also reflect the slow sales.

Kiedis sounds in that song like he was swallowed and then spat back out by Moby Dick.

Back
Top Bottom