Record Store Day 2015 - Discussion on Releases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flaming Lips - Bad Days
Grizzly Bear - Horn of Plenty
Polaris - Music from Pete and Pete! Holy shit! Everyone's gonna want that fucking album... Fuck.
Steve Reich - music for 18 musicians
Rockabye Baby - Grateful Dead
Replacements - Alex Chilton
Erasure - violent flame remixes if I can find it
Pizza Underground - again, if I can find it
Run the Jewels - RSD release

I need that Pete and Pete record, so friends, if I don't find it >_>...

I thought you'd be all over the Mark Kozelek AC/DC covers thing, as well as Tears for Fears.

Nothing I'm drooling over this year, which should save me some significant shipping costs :lol: but I would love the three Flaming Lips releases, as well as Protect Ya Neck.

I was thinking of getting the Tears for Fears single, but honestly, they're not my favorite songs by them. The Mark Kozelek thing sounds hilarious, I'll think about it.

But seriously Music From Pete and Pete is a must have. I can't believe this is reality.

Sign me up for the Citizen Dick single.

Fantastic.

Interviewer: Now, a song like "Touch Me I'm Dick" is about... what?

Cliff Poncier: Well, I think "Touch Me I'm Dick," in essence, speaks for itself, you know. I think that, you know, that's basically what the song is, um... about... is about, you know... I-I think a lot of people might think it's actually about, you know,"My name is Dick, and, you know, you can touch me," but, I think, you know, it can be seen either way.

I can't believe the Citizen Dick thing is "really" happening. It would have been funny if they included the song "Louder Than Larry".

Vinyl:

Bob Dylan - The Basement Tapes
ESG - The Moody EP
The Everly Brothers - 15 Everly Hits
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Okkervil River - Sleep and Wake-Up Songs
Otis Redding - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete
The Zombies - R.I.P. Album

Cassette:

Metallica - No Life Til Leathr
Various Artists - Burger 101

The Bob Dylan Basement Tapes release is coming out in separate mono/stereo editions and it's unclear if it's modeled after bootleg versions of the tape or is similar to the album release from the 70's, etc. Supposedly, every copy is going to be signed by a guy that played on the sessions, so this release will easily be the fastest seller of this RSD given...

1) Classic rock act that brings in the fogey buyers

2) Special release given the content

3) Is signed

I'll be shocked if anybody walks into a single record store in the entire country and is able to find one of these on the racks a minute after the doors are opened. That's not even factoring in the high price that Dylan stuff gets on the secondary market (case in point, the vinyl release of the recent 1964 copyright extension recordings), so flippers will be all over this one.

It's definitely up there. Both mixes and a nice 7" as well. The Otis Redding reissue from the last record store day wasn't that easy to get either (it was the one thing I missed out on, even after getting a couple of releases via Bullmoose).

I'm actually most excited to hear that Burger Records release. It's like four tapes covering the first 100 or so releases from that label/distributor (most, if not all, are now hard to come by). Surely a bunch of great music on that one as they release a lot of highly listenable stuff all the time.

First store wasn't participating even though it had their information listed on the Record Store Day website. Somebody's getting a really nasty yelp review later this afternoon. On to store number 2.

And store number two only had Bad Days and they wanted 20 for it, so I passed. At this point we're going to just have to settle for amoeba scraps.

And now we're in a stupidly long line, but at least that means they have stuff? We'll see. This guy in line as apparently never been out before, he's asking the dumbest questions and sounds like he walked straight out of the van from Fast Times.

I got the White Stripes and Darjeeling Limited soundtrack. I didn't get the U2, Flaming Lips, and Guided By Voices releases. I had fun. Just hanging out with like minded record nerds at 5am is fun and made time fly by until 9am when the store opened.

Here's my haul. Not bad. Got The Decemberists, Florence and the Machine, Courtney Barnett, Johnny Marr, Slayer, Metallica and a collection of weird electronica, including the theme from Doctor Who. Cause I'm a giant nerd. :wave:

Rough Trade NYC had run out of U2, Johnny Cash and The White Stripes by the time I got there. I was thinking about getting The Dresden Dolls release, but not for $50. Still, a good collection overall!

CC5m6G7UUAI_LeT.jpg

We decided to check out Amoeba.

It's 4 in the evening.

We're in a line snaking around the store.

After we see if they still happen to have Polaris... We have to wait in another line that stretches all the way to the back of the store to check out.

Never.
Again.

Back
Top Bottom