Record Store Day 2015 - Discussion on Releases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to both Mad Platter and Groovers Records today in Riverside, CA. I bought my records at Mad Platter then went to Groovers to hang out and help out my friend who does social media for them and then just say hi to the owner again because I haven't seen him in so long. I had a bit more fun at Groovers but that was because the vibe was a party atmosphere because he had record muffins, soda, water, good music playing and everyone was super cool and there was an incredibly diverse crowd.

IMG_1220.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMGP7458-02.jpeg

IMGP7462-02.jpeg

IMGP7490-01.jpeg

I wanted to get the Lemonheads but I ended up not getting it. Did anyone get it? I wish I got it now.

That's one I'm hoping to buy in superdy-duperty high-rez. I saw it, but I didn't want to pay $25 for vinyl and then turn around and pay another $18 for FLACz next week.

I'll cut you some FLAC. Hahahaha. Joke.

A quick overview pic of what I got:

1UfAXJO.jpg

Ashley has nicer pics that can go in the vinyl thread or whatever.

That picture is fine. My phone is trying to kill me today, and I don't want to mess with it anymore.

My local stores didn't get any of the releases I wanted. They ordered them all for me, and none showed up. RSD in a minnow country I suppose... I was after The Decemberists, Brand new, Darjeeling Ltd Soundtrack and U2.

Instead I went to a local that had a great sale on, and picked up a few Beatles albums I'd been putting off buying, and Motion City Soundtrack, all 50% off.

It's another release of that super-limited "white label" vinyl that came out last fall. 5,000 copies, I think? And it's the deluxe - not sure if the original "white label" release was the deluxe or not.

I wasn't going to try hard to get one, but I found one this morning so bought it, because what the hey.

It's another release of that super-limited "white label" vinyl that came out last fall. 5,000 copies, I think? And it's the deluxe - not sure if the original "white label" release was the deluxe or not.

I wasn't going to try hard to get one, but I found one this morning so bought it, because what the hey.

Basically this. The first "white label" was a single vinyl, just the standard album. The RSD release is the deluxe version, double vinyl. The first one is much more scarce, I think.

I didn't even realize the first one existed. I probably did at the time and just forgot about it.

So, apparently Polaris started touring for the very first time last year. I completely missed this, and if it hadn't been for the link to that site, I wouldn't have known. And wouldn't you know it, their very first tour of the West Coast starts this week and they're going to be selling copies of the vinyl there. I think I'll hold off on purchasing the vinyl so I can get tickets to the show and if I'm lucky enough to grab a vinyl at that, I'll do so, and if I'm not, who cares, I got to see Polaris live.

Seems like Reckless has an enormous amount of stuff left from yesterday. I'll have to get over there sometime tomorrow.

Yeah, and since they're not fulfilling online orders right now, it's probably even easier to nab leftovers.

As I posted in the thread, they have leftovers of U2, as well, if you're interested.

I don't know about the U2 release. I'm looking at the Otis Redding Blues album along with the Robert Plant 10".

Reckless' website says that all locations still have copies of SOI, but I don't know how often they update that.

Friggin Cobbler took a giant shit on the thread and left without saying anything.

Last edited:
lol "dying"

Sounds like more of a desperate projection than a statement of fact. "I HATE RSD IT SUCKS I HOPE EVERYONE STOPS GOING" would have been a worthier and more interesting title.

I didn't actually read that press release, but the pitchfork article from whence it came. I think there's some pertinent points. It is meant to be about the smaller people.

That's not the first time I've read about indie labels having trouble getting product out for RSD because the pressing plants are clogged up by the majors.

Judging from the line yesterday, though, I would not say that RSD is dying. I'm sure the major labels will find a way to ruin it eventually, but the backlash having any significant impact is probably still a few years away.

Everything good about art gets "ruined" eventually if it gets big enough. Coachella used to be a music mecca, but everyone bitches about it now. Amoeba is supposedly amazing, but every time I go I leave hating the vinyl comeback more than ever as I wade through rows and rows of $30 reissues to get to the handful of quality, fairly-priced originals.

RSD puts too much emphasis on reissues and it costs too much for smaller stores to pick up stock, but I buy the merchandise for the same reason I would go to Coachella in the year 2015 despite my reservations: I feel it's worth what I'm paying. No more, no less. I go to record stores throughout the other 364 days of the year and can contribute to smaller independent stores then. Or I can go to one on RSD after getting the exclusives I want elsewhere. It's not like I'll be shot on sight for buying a non-RSD exclusive on RSD.

RSD is not morally corrupt, it's just a commoditized event like anything else popular and music-related. It's still fun and celebrates music. If it's not fun for you, go do something else. Life is too short for all this hand-wringing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom