Record Store Day 2011 tomorrow :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were so many fucking 45s in that power-pop section that I didn't even take a look. I would've gotten raped. That dude used to run a label, in the late '70s/early '80s. Cool guy, and I think that his stuff actually got comped by Numero, a while back.

My local record store had lines well out the door for most of the day today. It's great to see RSD attracting significant business.

WOW. What a different experience this was from last year in Fort Worth, but more on that in a moment. First a few "amusing" anecdotes to add to LeMel's post.

Various Artists - Good Morning, Vietnam ($0.25)
Various (Motown) Artists - 25 #1 Hits From 25 Years ($0.25)
Phil Collins - Face Value ($0.25)
Henry Mancini - The Best of Mancini ($0.25)

All I wanted out of this bunch was Face Value since it was a quarter. Well, 4/$1, and they just wouldn't let me buy the one album, I had to pick three more. It took me about 10 minutes to actually find three more albums worth grabbing, and as it turns out, that Motown collection was a surprise treasure trove. So much great music on this, the quality is great (listening to it right now) and it even has a Motown Quiz inside it!

I already own the Hatari soundtrack, so I wasn't as excited as Travis to score the best of Mancini (love me some "Baby Elephant Walk")

After spending half the day arguing over whether or not I already owned Teaser & The Firecat or Tea for the Tillerman (I was right, I had Teaser, so now I own two copies of that), I began to mourn the fact that I only found one RSD release I wanted, You're Gonna Get It!. I kept thinking about how much easier RSD was in Fort Worth. I rolled into Movie Trading Company at 2 PM last year and picked up a copy of Chronic Town with no problem. So finally I thought to myself...hell, why don't I call my friend Robert and see if he won't pick some stuff up for me...

Sorry for getting your hopes up, Shouter. Due to "a shipping issue," no stores in Chicago acquired Third. Ashley called a friend in Fort Worth and he hooked us up with a couple of RSD releases, but one store there claimed that it was a UK only release. Ignorant Texans.

...And sure enough, he was more than willing. They had pretty much everything we wanted, but at that point I was pretty strapped for cash, and the nerd in me just HAD to have that Tron disc, so my buddy in Texas picked up that and the "Fire" single for us. He's sending that our way soon enough. So that was all very exciting. Was a little disappointed to find out after that that Dave's HAD the "Fire" single, but oh well, better safe than sorry.

I literally remembered to go there while I was standing around waiting for my food at Portillo's to be done :doh:. Next time I go to Chicago, this WILL happen.

so did any of you three run into each other over the course of the day?

I would hope that Travis and I ran into each other :wink:

Short version of that mega post: I had an AWESOME time today. Spent a bit of money, but actually only went $2 over my budget. So glad you recommend Numero, Shouter.

And I'm glad I'm more familiar with Chicago's record store scene now. Will be returning to Reckless in the future, I didn't get to look at nearly as much of it as I wanted, but when the first two things I saw in there were The Lonesome Jubilee (I've been looking for this for a long time now and the quality of the version I got is pretty great) and The Cars for $1.99 a piece, I knew this was a pretty snazzy place, and the deals just became more apparent. As someone who isn't looking for anything too obscure, that seemed like a nice place for me.

If you shout... said:
There were so many fucking 45s in that power-pop section that I didn't even take a look. I would've gotten raped. That dude used to run a label, in the late '70s/early '80s. Cool guy, and I think that his stuff actually got comped by Numero, a while back.

Oh God, the 45s. I saw this one woman and her husband looking for the You're All I Need To Get By single for like a half hour. It just wasn't reasonable when we still needed to hit up Permanent and Dave's. I probably missed out on a shit ton of Big Star getting there so late anyway.

martha said:
When I was in fourth grade, every Friday Heidi (a fellow fourth-grader) would bring her accordion in and play Baby Elephant Walk. We all loved it so much.

Played all the contemporary hits, I see! :wink: /Laz

re: "Baby Elephant Walk." That was my at bat music my first year on carsity.

PhilsFan said:
Obviously you'd be pitching a tent there, but the shirt thing surprises me, as mediums fit me snugly and I have the build of Thom Yorke. Aren't you tall or some shit?

I never said they didn't fit me snugly, but I like that. Yeah I'm above average height, but I'm thin enough to where a medium doesn't look like a sausage casing.

God, I'm so excited, You're Gonna Get It! is the only Tom Petty album (up to Wildflowers) that I haven't heard and this thing is just gorgeous. Listening to it now before I finally pass out from exhaustion. What a great day.

The general consensus I heard at record stores today was that our stores got less merch this year, and I was disappointed in what didn't show up - especially the My Morning Jacket vinyl.

I ended up getting only one RSD special, but I made it count: the Big Star Third test pressing. Snagged it out of a boxload of material right in front of numerous people who were looking for it, and was truly nervous carrying it around. Depending on who you talked to, 3-5 copies made it to one store in Memphis, and there were some hurt feelings from the jilted. I thought two guys were gonna fight...

Now I've got to figure out if I should open it or not. :D

I got Foo Fighters, Nirvana, White Stripes. I also ordered a copy of that Burial + Thom Yorke 12" today. Once the Radiohead 12" hits the States in June I'm going to have to bust out the turntable and digitize them all.

I was about fifth in line today. One guy in front of me said something like, "I can't wait to get these on eBay," to which the guy behind him replied, "I hope you lose money." :D

Part of me expects word of the originals, if not the items themselves, to surface online like golden tickets to Willy Wonka's factory. I'm cynical enough to be watching ebay. :D

Another part of me imagines John Fry of Ardent Records and Jody Stephens pulling strings to ensure that a disproportionate share of the real copies wind up in Memphis. :hmm: But I know that one of the three that I saw sold today was a repro.

In reality, I've come to terms with 1/300 odds.

I've been watching Ebay as well :/.

Personally, I'd open it, but I'm like that. Hell, I listened to my copy of You're Gonna Get It. In the end it's all up to you...no pressure!

I never said they didn't fit me snugly, but I like that. Yeah I'm above average height, but I'm thin enough to where a medium doesn't look like a sausage casing.
Gotcha. My 6'1" brother wears large so I usually assume people a bit taller than me roll with larges.

As always, I'm drunk and rambling, so take all with salt grains.

I was about fifth in line today. One guy in front of me said something like, "I can't wait to get these on eBay," to which the guy behind him replied, "I hope you lose money." :D

hahahaha that's great. what absolute fuckstick stands in line and effectively announces to everyone that they heard about Record Store Day and immediately thought of ebay?? keep that shit to yourself man :wink:

hah yeah, people should have ganged up on him and hounded him out of the line...i'd hate to know one of the first four people in that door was robbing me of a chance to buy something special just because he wanted to sell it on.

Since when is Z hard to find on wax?

PhilsFan said:
Gotcha. My 6'1" brother wears large so I usually assume people a bit taller than me roll with larges.

Don't stereotype us, mang.

agentorange said:
Since stores have sold music in Memphis. :D

It was one of those things on the RSD list I decided would be cool to buy if I found it, but not something I'm willing to seek out.

I just didn't realize there was a RSD version of it. I see each THE JACK! album brand new every time I go shopping. In fact, I should probably expand my collection beyond ISM and Evil Urgez.

Back
Top Bottom