Record Store Day 2011 tomorrow :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
who's going??? what are you hoping to buy?? what time do you need to wake up to go and queue at your local independent :wink:

With luck, I will be much poorer and own vinyl copies of the following:
Free-Album-Gorillaz-The-Fall.jpg

PANDA-BEAR-TOMBOY.jpg

Record+Store+Day+Exclusive+TRON+Legacy+Translucence+Identity+Disc+Vinyl+Record+by+Daft+Punk.jpg

It's going to be an awesome day.

I'm going to shoot for the RSD edition of Tomboy (failing that, I'll just get the normal one) and hopefully the Lips box set. We'll see if something else catches my fancy.

Not sure if I'm going yet or not, but there's nothing in particular I'm wanting most of all, so I'm ready to go and see what's what and pick when I get there.

Big Star - Third (Test Pressing Edition) :drool::drool::drool:, My Morning Jacket - Z, and maybe Tomboy are the big three I'm searching for. Tomboy is considered very limited, but I doubt I'll have any trouble finding it here in Chicago. Maybe finding one with an accompanying shirt that fits me, but that happens to me anyway.

The Decemberists live EP / album deal sounds cool to me, but don't really know if it's worth being to a store at 8am on a Saturday for .

Holy ass, I had no idea that that Big Star deal was happening. Any idea what the price is supposed to be...?

If you shout... said:
Holy ass, I had no idea that that Big Star deal was happening. Any idea what the price is supposed to be...?

There's a PDF file out there containing suggested retail prices, but I can't find it. It's limited to 1000, so I'm going to guess it'll be a bit pricier...maybe around $30. If it does cost that much, it will be the only record I pick up. Absolutely my #1 priority.

Where are you shopping at, Shouter? I'll be scouring Chicago, but there are as many participating stores as there are hipsters and I'm not sure where to look.

I'm gonna be at the Numero Group flash store, tomorrow, to do some intense crate-digging. They're opening and closing the store just for this, and they've apparently come into some major, serious, very Numero-esque collections (totaling about 30,000 LPs), all of which will be made available. Probably gonna get there at like 7:30, to get a jump on the crowds. Who knows what treasures may be found? Gonna try to grab the actual RSD releases that I want at Permanent. They'll be open at midnight, but may not have some of the more traditionally "indie" releases; Big Star, though, should be all good.

If Permanent is a no-go, my advice would be to check the websites for Laurie's and Dave's, tonight, and see if they'll have what you want. If so, get there early. Otherwise, get to the downtown Reckless really early. It's the least-visited of the three Reckless locations, and you'll therefore have to deal with the shortest line. It's also Reckless, so they'll have everything. Like, every last thing.

If you find that PDF, please please please say word.

I can't find the PDF now. I'm thinking they might have taken it down once the list for the public went up.

If you shout... said:
I'm gonna be at the Numero Group flash store, tomorrow, to do some intense crate-digging. They're opening and closing the store just for this, and they've apparently come into some major, serious, very Numero-esque collections (totaling about 30,000 LPs), all of which will be made available. Probably gonna get there at like 7:30, to get a jump on the crowds. Who knows what treasures may be found? Gonna try to grab the actual RSD releases that I want at Permanent. They'll be open at midnight, but may not have some of the more traditionally "indie" releases; Big Star, though, should be all good.

If Permanent is a no-go, my advice would be to check the websites for Laurie's and Dave's, tonight, and see if they'll have what you want. If so, get there early. Otherwise, get to the downtown Reckless really early. It's the least-visited of the three Reckless locations, and you'll therefore have to deal with the shortest line. It's also Reckless, so they'll have everything. Like, every last thing.

If you find that PDF, please please please say word.

That was 9/10ths valuable. Thank you, sir.

I'll be doing a great deal of googling ahead of time to best use my time, but both Ashley and my mom will want to visit Numero Group for non-RSD stuff, so that's a must while we're in town.

Yeah, that's the only place you absolutely cannot afford to miss. Or, you know...I THINK that's the only place you cannot afford to miss. It's not yet open, so maybe they're just talking a lot of shit. I doubt it, though, since it's the practically the best archival label of all time. Nearly all the other releases will be around all day, seriously. The Numero shop opens early, at 9, and is just a few blocks from the Wicker Park Reckless, fyi. I think it's on the 1300 N block of Milwaukee, in some yoga place. Right around there, anyway.

Also, it appears that there are a few more releases which I want/need than I realized. I am going to be totally fucked, financially. Damn it.

If you shout... said:
The Numero shop opens early, at 9, and is just a few blocks from the Wicker Park Reckless, fyi.

Thank you for this. I was going to ask you for general directions (at least, you know, what stores are closer in relation to each other), but you shouldn't have to do mapquest's job.

I wish it weren't such an ordeal to find shit here, but it's totally worth it, especially with my mother visiting. She reminds me of Martha on some days and is going to lose her shit in the midst of these mammoth collections. Cumberland, MD is even worse off re: record collecting than we are here.

Both of the Reckless locations I mentioned are right on the Blue Line (Damen = Wicker Park; Washington = Downtown). Permanent is five minutes on the Chicago bus (66) from the Chicago Blue Line stop. I don't remember where Dave's is actually located, but Laurie's is in Lincoln Square, and therefore on the Brown Line.

Basically, you can get everywhere you probably need to be by way of the Blue Line, and maybe even get Big Star at midnight, thereby saving yourself the trouble. And by visiting Permanent, you will at the very least get to see a very honest picture of my life. And a really cute cat.

If you shout... said:
You're totally welcome, by the way. Absolutely no trouble. I'll be glad if it helps, and you get what you're looking for.

:up: We're a dying breed and have to stick together. Well, I don't know if we're dying anymore, but certainly endangered.

queuing 1.5-2 hours early in the hope of getting a copy of Radiohead's Supercollider/The Butcher and the Beach Boys double 10" 78rpm single. And Daft Punk of course. Also, the Nirvana Hormoaning EP and some others, who knows......

i will be pretty poor.

Peter Buck's going to be doing a signing at Easy Street in Seattle tomorrow. That almost tempted me to go, even though there's nothing I would buy. Had it been 10 years ago, I might have been first in line. Ha.

Hey, Shouter, I found the Excel file still saved on the laptop. I don't know if you want me to send it to you or not, but the suggested retail price for Third is....not listed. Sorry, buddy. I tried :(. One of the only one's that's not :huh:

Back
Top Bottom