Record Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get that, I just find both formats equally archaic, at least you can use the fidelity argument for vinyl. What is the point of making a mix tape if no one can listen to it?

There is no point...unless it's a really cool movie tie-in.

FWIW, the soundtrack has been out on other formats for months.

On 28th of November there is RSD Black Friday (mostly US only releases)

Any chance there is someone here on the forum who could get this piece?

418456134250:245

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7579

I'd add 50% of the retail price as "pick up premium"

I want this so badly.
a thousand times this

You all realize that it's on cassette because it's on cassette in the movie, right?

It's still a neat idea and, well...not useless for me and my tape player :madspit:.

But all other cassette releases are basically stupid. I have bought one because it made me laugh, and I'll probably get a hold of this one eventually, as well, but otherwise, I agree with you.

So yeah, anyone who is heading out willing to pick up that Decemberists 7" for me, happy to reimburse them fairly for their efforts.

2014 Black Friday RSD Haul:

Neil Young - Official Release Series Discs 5-8
St. Vincent - Pieta Single
David Bowie - Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime) Single
Mother Love Bone - Hold Up Your Head Single
The Decembrists - Make You Better Single
Guardians Of The Galaxy - Awesome Mix Vol. 1 Cassette (Grabbed the last copy; probably won't even open it since I got the free Google Music download, but I do actually own a functional cassette deck.)

I was about 10th in line and found pretty much everything I was there for. I don't think they got any of the Peter Murphy, but it wasn't at the top of my list anyway.

I own a tape deck I bought last year...pretty high end new model (like the only ones you can buy at this point are from the same company). Has a crazy amount of extra features, remote, twin decks, etc.

I bought it because of the booming cassette culture scene that's been going on for years and I now own hundreds of cassettes, mostly tape level stuff that I enjoyed thanks to previewing the material on BandCamp or cassette podcasts/web sites. It's a fun format and sounds pretty good. For what it's worth, my R.E.M./Replacements cassettes sound considerably better than my MP3s of that material.

But yeah, in general the format is kind of dead, even with Cassette Store Day. People are certainly intrigued by it. It's a very fun format like anything analogue and it leads to the coolest looking physical items (seriously, these tape labels do incredible jobs in terms of the artwork). The problem really has to do with the lack of players (vinyl had the same problem up until very recently). There's literally no actual functioning portable cassette players out there to purchase new anymore. Most people are presumably just buying cassettes to support an artist they like. What's six bucks to them if they get a free download with the cassette?

I nabbed the three record store day releases I wanted from this weekend. Phil Spector (via BulMoose) and Lee Hazlewood & Afghan Whigs (via my local record store).

Also, it's fucking hilarious how this BullMoose chain in Maine often has literally every Record Store day item after the weekend. Maine clearly doesn't have much of a hipster scene, I guess. For example, the Guardians of the Galaxy cassette is going for almost thirty bucks on Discogs. If you live in Maine, you can purchase that tape in-store for under nine bucks.

A fair number of people at the front of the line for Black Friday were there specifically for the Guardians of the Galaxy cassette. My local shop received five and I was very lucky to grab the last one.

I went back to the shop on Tuesday to redeem the 20% punch card I had filled up with my Black Friday purchases. They still had the New Order and First Aid Kit RSD releases in stock, so I grabbed those.

I think Bull Moose records gets to sell record store day items online because the event originated as an idea by one of their employees. I tried to get something from their website last year after the April record store day and couldn't because site traffic caused the website to die.

Hey guys, just got back from LA on a business trip and while I was there, I managed to make it to the Hollywood location of Amoeba Music. What a store and their Jazz selection is great! Anybody here ever been?

They're all fantastic...SF store is kind of behind the curve when it comes to vinyl and actually has the worst selection.

If you're in Berkeley, you really should check out Rasputin's vinyl basement. Probably the best Bay Area selection of used vinyl. And they still have a dollar rack which is something that's been phased out most everywhere else.

I'll go later in the day or on Saturday and see what I can find. Nothing I really want so much that I'll get up early for it.

You can buy the Blackout online right now (63 left when I just looked) at Banquet Records. Exchange rate plus shipping works out to about $26 U.S. Not great but not horrible considering you don't have to go out and fight for it anywhere. Amoeba will have it for $14.98 plus tax, other places for $11.99 or $12.99. :D

You can buy the Blackout online right now (63 left when I just looked) at Banquet Records. Exchange rate plus shipping works out to about $26 U.S. Not great but not horrible considering you don't have to go out and fight for it anywhere. Amoeba will have it for $14.98 plus tax, other places for $11.99 or $12.99. :D

Thanks for the heads up. I'll not be able make it out tomorrow to my favorite record store, I'll try ordering it online. :up:

Done and done! Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom