Record Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Husker Du and Drive OST for me, maybe the new Bowie. Not going to upgrade my Cure and White Stripes, pretty as they may be.

On a related note, I finally bought Entreat Plus the other day but there's some paper / glue residue from the inner sleeves stuck to sides 1 and 4. Hope no one else has bought the other copy the store had yet.

I got the regular edition of the Drive OST from Mondo Gallery last weekend, and it's fantastic. Highly recommend going after the picture disc version, even though it's far from Stout's best artwork.

So I'm an idiot and at work the last couple weeks I've been organizing a beach cleanup. I just now realized I organized it for the same day as Record Store Day. So does anyone have any experience with these midnight sale they do. Looks Looks like I'm going to have to go to them.

What time is your beach thing? A lot of stores open at 8 or 9 on RSD.

I've never tried the midnight thing. I purposefully drive out to a store in Bellevue because the lines are shorter and the people slightly saner.

It's from 8-11 and it's an hour drive (at least) into downtown Chicago from here. The plan is to go at midnight and then go back after the beach cleanup for the pop-up store deals and whatnot, but we'll see. That's my favorite part about Record Store day, really, but Chicago twice in one day is certainly a thing.

OH hey, no midnight sales this year:

The End of Midnight Sales for Record Store Day

Usually this would make me happy, but, of course, now I can't go to Record Store Day proper this year. That's OK, we ended up buying tickets to the CIMM Festival (pretty much a music documentaries festival), which is going to be really fun, I think. I'll still get to go to the pop-up store and pick through whatever's left by 1:00 pm, lol. I managed to find Rockabye Baby Smiths last year, maybe I'll still be able to pick up White Stripes :drool:

I'm probably not going to buy the Nothing Can Hurt Me soundtrack at this point, but at least I'll get to see the film itself. :heart: Big Star :heart:

A Evening with Van Dyke Parks will be sweet too; he's one of those classic, influential acts that I never thought I'd get to see and it's in an incredibly intimate venue.

I'm psyched about you getting to see that. I saw it back in the fall, and I don't think they had finished editing it. So you may get a more finished version. But it was a joyful thing for me.

By the way, I saw Jody Stephens at the bike shop two weekends ago. I almost said "LeMel said hi." Almost.

532080_10151427540244775_475910352_n.jpg

547406_10151427541069775_1688224258_n.jpg

The problem with Record Store Day in this country is we don't get the full selection and they come infinitesimally small amounts. Bit of a weaker selection this year and the things I wanted they either didn't have or sold out of in 30 seconds.

I found Shearwater x Sharon Van Etten, Bat for Lashes and Nick Cave at another store, but I'm not a big fan of either of Shearwater or Van Etten so I passed on that, Bat for Lashes was just Laura b/w Marilyn and Nick Cave was $10 for one song so passed on those as well.

I'm planning to get up and go in the morning. I should probably go through the list and see what I want. I'll probably look for that R.E.M. EP as well.

I'll keep an eye out for the chess set, Cobbler, but I'll bet it ain't cheap.

Thanks mate, considering the Zaireeka 4LP boxset was something like $120 here I'm guessing it'd be pretty expensive.

This website has it at $60US, I'm guessing that'd be about $80 with shipping? I'd spring for that if you do come across it.

http://ughh.com/gza-genius-liquid-swords-the-chess-box/GET54055LP/

Basic list of what I'll be looking for, but since I won't be able to get to the store until noon, I'm ready for all kinds of disappointment:

MGMT - Alien Days Cassette
David Bowie - The Stars Are Out Tonight B/W Where Are We Now? 7"
Pink Floyd - See Emily Play 7"
Walk the Moon - Tightrope EP?
Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me
The Cure - KMKMKM
Foals - Holy Fire
The Glove - Blue Sunshine (#1 Priority - I didn't even notice it on the list before :ohmy: )
Rockabye Baby The White Stripes?
Spacemen 3 Perfect Prescription
Dazed and Confused Soundtrack
Mystery Side-by-Side

Store I'm at in DFW is doing this weird "auction" system and calling out each piece individually. Kind of a pain. Struck out on Horn of Plenty but I did get an Elephant. May try to nab GZA.

Happy RSD to all.

Aww, DB, you're so sweet :)

I'm scared of what pickings will remain once I get to the record store. If I can get at least one or two of the things I want, I guess I'll be happy. I knew what to expect when after I realized I screwed up.

Back
Top Bottom