Record Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got seven inches
there's gotta be a better way to say that.

thanks, though. bah, i remember a couple years ago when i thought i'd be able to go to rsd i called up a shop here and asked if they'd be getting in a particular record, and i got brushed off with a generic answer. i'm sure as it gets closer to the date they get hounded with calls, but i also don't want to wait in line forever at one store only to find out they didn't even get in what i'm wanting. there's a few stores here participating :blahblah:

Yeah when I was trying to figure out what store had what I got blown off as well. It's kind of pot luck I think.

I should record everything I say for a week and then listen back to it.

I know the owner of my local record shop pretty well. He's always willing to go through the invoice for RSD and show me how many copies of each record he's ordered, but he never actually knows what he's going to get. He ordered several copies of "DoYaThing" last year and didn't get any.

I should record everything I say for a week and then listen back to it.
i bet you'd end up thinking you're a blowhard.

I know the owner of my local record shop pretty well. He's always willing to go through the invoice for RSD and show me how many copies of each record he's ordered, but he never actually knows what he's going to get. He ordered several copies of "DoYaThing" last year and didn't get any.
oh wow, that sucks. i'd wondered if that could happen with these releases.

I think I had you on the lookout for that for me, from memory.

Do they post a list of all the releases or something? Or does Pitchfork? I can't remember.

DoYaThing turned out to be a pretty limited release, but I've never bothered to go on eBay to see how much they're going for. I have 320 kbps MP3s of both the full-length and radio edit versions, so good enough for me.

Last year they posted a PDF checklist of all the releases on the RSD website once it was finalized.

Does the Cobbler want?

*NEW* Destroyer This Night (Remastered LP, 1st time available in US, limited to 2000 copies)

Anyone got any idea how the Flaming Lips' Zaireeka vinyl re-release is going to work? I'd love to hear the album but I don't really want to buy three more record players...

It's a 4xLP, which was the only way to make the initial experiment any more stupid.

It's a 4xLP, which was the only way to make the initial experiment any more stupid.

Oh man. I know Flips fans are loyal and will pay thousands for blood-infused vinyl, but this...

They tried to play it through 160 iPhones the last time they were in Brisbane. It failed, and I think Wayne got punched in the face accidentally.

The CD version is really easy to listen to and mix down. Just find four media players, shrink them down so you can see the four play buttons and click them all really quickly. Then open audacity and save the results.

The album itself isn't that great, but the idea that there is no perfect version is quite appealing. Every listen is unique.

Kind of a weak batch this year to my eye. I'll be trying to nab Elephant and the Chelsea Wolfe/King Dude 7".

I'm going for my first Record Store Day this year. Any tips in general for how to go about it? Also, those who know New York stores, any recommendations for where I should go?

My list, for the moment:

The Band - The Last Waltz 12"
The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me 12"
Cut Copy - Bright Like Neon Love 12"
David Bowie - The Stars (Are Out Tonight) 7"
Flaming Lips - Zaireeka 12" box
Foals - Holy Fire 12"
GZA - Liquid Swords chess box
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe/Stone Free 7"
MGMT - Alien Days cassette
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die 12"
Pink Floyd - See Emily Play/The Scarecrow 7"
Rockabye Baby - White Stripes 12"
Small Faces - There Are But Four Small Faces 12"
Tame Impala - Tame Impala EP 12"
The White Stripes - Elephant 12"

I'll probably only end up buying 3-4 of these and spend the vast majority of my time looking for cheap used vinyl, as is usually the case.

I'm going for my first Record Store Day this year. Any tips in general for how to go about it? Also, those who know New York stores, any recommendations for where I should go?

It sucks going in a big city. I miss when I lived in Fort Worth.

How would Cobl , put it? I could rock up whenever I felt like?

Anyways, in Chicago, you need to stand in line for a good few hours or more if you want anything. I would imagine NYC is worse.

I know last year a lot of stores opened at midnight. I'm not looking forward to that possibility again, because I'll probably end up going to the midnight sale and then needing to stay in the city to go to the other awesome stuff they do in the morning.

Not going for the Big Star release LM?

I'll be optimistically looking for:

Brian Eno x Grizzly Bear x Nicolas Jaar 10"
Cut Copy - Bright Like Neon Love 12"
David Bowie - Drive-In Saturday 7"
Pink Floyd - See Emily Play 7"
Tame Impala EP 12"
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die 2x12" white LP
GZA - Liquid Swords Chess Set

Back
Top Bottom