Record Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soooo, I’m an idiot and misread my local record store’s hours. Blackout was sold out by the time I got my shit together. If anyone snags an extra copy and wants to sell, please PM me! Otherwise I’ll head to eBay.

I had a miserable time queueing today for record store day. 4 hours to get into Rough Trade in my neighborhood, freezing in the morning, burning under the sun at noon. But at least I managed to get most of what I wanted - except for the Sufjan and Arcade Fire EPs.

The National Live in Brussels is awesome.

IMG_0925.JPG

The price for that U2 picture disc ($25 or something like that) is so ridiculous.

I got "Lights of Home" picture disc and "Bowie Now". Stores sometimes have leftovers so might try to get "Let's Dance" single, Fleetwood Mac's alternate Tango in the Night LP, and/or Rolling Stones Satanic Majesties. And maybe The Cure haha.

Also was browsing and found a red colored B-52's "Summer of Love" single on sale, so grabbed that, though I'm not sure it was a Record Store Day release last year. Good price though and I see it's hard to find online.

Last edited:
I had a miserable time queueing today for record store day. 4 hours to get into Rough Trade in my neighborhood, freezing in the morning, burning under the sun at noon. But at least I managed to get most of what I wanted - except for the Sufjan and Arcade Fire EPs.

The National Live in Brussels is awesome.

View attachment 11877

I avoid Rough Trade for RSD, it has everyone and their mother going there - I got the U2 very easily at Record Runner at a little before 1PM, and I stumbled across a RSD pop up (think it was run by the RSD folks themselves) in a coffee place in the East Village (forgot if it was East 12th or 10th around 2nd Ave.) that had the whole slate of RSD stuff, and most of it was still there when I came upon it at around 4pm. An added bonus was that it brought me near the Broadway-Lafayette subway station where they are selling the David Bowie metrocards and have the satellite David Bowie Is exhibit, I managed to find the only two metrocard machines there without a massive line and got the set. :)

The price for that U2 picture disc ($25 or something like that) is so ridiculous.

Lol yeah, I passed pretty hard on that. Did end up with an OG copy of Wide Awake in America though which was tight.

Yeah I was surprised by the price. Was Red Hill Mining Town also around $25?

But this is the first time I actually went to a store on RSD, so figured I'd get it.

I avoid Rough Trade for RSD, it has everyone and their mother going there - I got the U2 very easily at Record Runner at a little before 1PM, and I stumbled across a RSD pop up (think it was run by the RSD folks themselves) in a coffee place in the East Village (forgot if it was East 12th or 10th around 2nd Ave.) that had the whole slate of RSD stuff, and most of it was still there when I came upon it at around 4pm. An added bonus was that it brought me near the Broadway-Lafayette subway station where they are selling the David Bowie metrocards and have the satellite David Bowie Is exhibit, I managed to find the only two metrocard machines there without a massive line and got the set. :)

Getting the U2 would be pretty easy considering that nobody really wants it. I’m surprised you decided to go today if that’s what you were looking for. There will be tons of copies lying around next weekend still.

Lol yeah, I passed pretty hard on that. Did end up with an OG copy of Wide Awake in America though which was tight.

I found an OG copy of Wide Awake too! Along with an OG copy of Rattle and Hum

Getting the U2 would be pretty easy considering that nobody really wants it. I’m surprised you decided to go today if that’s what you were looking for. There will be tons of copies lying around next weekend still.

No big thing or disruption to my routine, did my usual morning before going into Manhattan. I got off the bus at 12:40, was out the door with the disc at 12:50. They were moving. I don't think as many stores had it or that there weren't as many copies, there were two others that last time had many copies of The Blackout, but didn't have any of the LOH this time swinging by in the afternoon. Now the Madonna release had tons left over and every store I looked in had tons.

Curious - does anyone know if there is a website that shows how many copies of each release were made? Wanting to check out some of mine and see.

Heads up: stores like Amoeba are selling leftovers online. I ordered a few singles. "Let's Dance" demo by Bowie, "Back and Forth" purple vinyl by Aaliyah and the new Florence + the Machine which is a splattered color vinyl.

Thank you!

Hm I wonder why the David Bowie ones don't have a number. As well as some others.

As for U2, yeah the store I went to (Newbury Comics) had 3 or 4 left I think. But then the store I just ordered online from is about to sell out with just 2 left as of now. So I guess it just depends. Amoeba also doesn't have any extras on their site.

Last edited:
I stumbled across a RSD pop up (think it was run by the RSD folks themselves) in a coffee place in the East Village (forgot if it was East 12th or 10th around 2nd Ave.) that had the whole slate of RSD stuff, and most of it was still there when I came upon it at around 4pm.

That makes me sad if true. RSD is obviously becoming a brand in its own right, but a pop-up seems to undermine the premise of supporting the local brick and mortar shops, no?

I had a decent day: 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn,' 'The Kids Are Alright,' Uncle Tupelo's 'No Depression' demos, 'A Sea of Split Peas' picture discs, and 7"'sfrom Chris Bell and Fleet Foxes. I was hoping for the Sundays' 'Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic' but never saw it here.

I feel like a moron - there was a copy of Pink Floyd's mono "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" where I went, which is apparently one of the most sought after this year. Oh well.

Also wish I had bought the Led Zeppelin yellow 7".

That makes me sad if true. RSD is obviously becoming a brand in its own right, but a pop-up seems to undermine the premise of supporting the local brick and mortar shops, no?

I had a decent day: 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn,' 'The Kids Are Alright,' Uncle Tupelo's 'No Depression' demos, 'A Sea of Split Peas' picture discs, and 7"'sfrom Chris Bell and Fleet Foxes. I was hoping for the Sundays' 'Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic' but never saw it here.

I held that Uncle Tupelo then decided I was spending too much as it was. No Depression is such a great record.

I held that Uncle Tupelo then decided I was spending too much as it was. No Depression is such a great record.

Yeah, I've got a long, dicey history of buying deluxe reissue packages and listening to the demos once and never again - R.E.M. and Pavement come quickly to mind. But I had to pull the trigger on this one, knowing that I'll probably listen to it once. I figure there will be a buyer when I get tired of it since it's limited...

Well my nearby Newbury Comics had 3 extra Led Zeppelin's today. That surprised me because you can't find it on any website. I was at a store in the city Friday that was also out of leftovers of that.

And I had a 20% off coupon which was nice. They also had an old RSD 2009 Killers Spaceman picture disc. Then with the coupon I couldn't resist getting the Aladdin Sane silver vinyl, as well as a purple Janis Joplin "Pearl" album, limited to 1000 copies only sold at Newbury Comics stores.

Anyone try their luck with the first RSD 2020 Drop today?

I didn't go out, but I was able to grab a copy of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock for curbside pickup at a local shop. I also picked up Angelheaded Hipster on white vinyl; which is not technically an RSD release but an indie store exclusive.

I really wanted the two Bowie titles, but on CD, not vinyl. My local shop didn't even order them on CD, but I managed to find them at a shop on the east coast. Who knows how long they will take to arrive with Drumpf's lackeys sabotaging the USPS.

Waltzed in the afternoon and got the Al Green and 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, both are pretty nice releases. Almost grabbed the Spoon, but I have most of the songs on their proper albums already so decided to pass. I was tempted by the Brazilian Funk Box, but 7’ singles are never practical so I passed too.

I got at my record store around 10:15 (they opened at 10). The first people were already exiting and thankfully there wasn't a big line to get in (about 3 people in front of me and they only allow up to 10 people in the store nowadays). When I got in there were still plenty of the 11 O'Clock Tick Tock singles. I was lucky as I think I grabbed the last ChangesNowBowie CD, was not interested in his live 1974 CD.

It was a good day. :)

My store was online only - U2 sold out in 4 mins, but I grabbed a copy.

Managed to get the others I wanted (Sea Girls and the Inhaler 7 inch singles) through discogs without spending too much, so pretty happy all up.

I managed to grab the Boy 40th anniversary white vinyl this morning (it sounds great), but not before being harassed while in line by a MAGA asshole who started shouting at me to go home when I politely asked him to keep 6 feet away in line rather than crowding me.

What are these people like in real life? Was he decked out in stuff? An upfront arsehole? What was he doing shopping on Record Store Day? Sorry to hear that.

Back
Top Bottom