Recommend an Album by Posting a Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jive Turkey

ONE love, blood, life
It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes to try and find new bands to listen to each year. Even just looking through the best of 2013 thread, I have no idea where to start. And people's tastes vary so much, that a simple verbal recommendation might not translate to an enjoyable listen. I thought it would be a great thread idea to have people recommend albums they enjoy by posting a youtube link to a song or two that they feel is somewhat representative of that album's sound. That way, anyone interested in searching for new music could get a good idea of what to devote their time to. They don't have to be new albums, but it might be a good place to introduce people to new bands or new albums. Since I'm not so up to date this year, I'll start by posting a couple songs by a band I've loved for several years that I don't think many people have listened to (I'm sure the regulars have heard me mention them several times). This is still one of my favourite albums of the past 10 or 15 years.

The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters

The Twilight Sad - Cold Days from the Birdhouse - YouTube

The Twilight Sad - YouTube

ok, 3

The Twilight Sad - And She Would Darken The Memory - YouTube

Since several of us are very high on the newest Manic Street Preachers album, here are a couple tracks from Rewind the Film. The album features a handful of guest singers in addition to the usual vocals by James Dean Bradfield. These three songs are fairly different from one another, but the album in general forms a nice cohesive whole. Interested parties should stop by the Manics thread for more discussion.

The melancholy Anthem for a Lost Cause (song starts at 1:55)
Manic Street Preachers - Anthem for a Lost Cause

The upbeat trumpety goodness of Show Me the Wonder
Manic Street Preachers - Show Me the Wonder

The beautiful poignancy of Rewind the Film
Manic Street Preachers - Rewind the Film

For whatever reason, The Twilight Sad is the only Scotch-Rock band I can't seem to get into. So weird.

I'm not a fan in general, not even of the genre really, but I really dug their last album. Very nice change of pace.

Oh, I very much like the music here. Not 100% on his voice, but I think this is definitely worth checking out.

Just learned that the dude in the baseball hat from Chaverches was a touring member of Twilight Sad!

Oh, I very much like the music here. Not 100% on his voice, but I think this is definitely worth checking out.

A friend recently sent me some Arab Strap songs because he thought they had similar voices. Indeed they do. I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea

A friend recently sent me some Arab Strap songs because he thought they had similar voices. Indeed they do. I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea

Like I said, I'm not sure why I don't like his voice. I friggin' love Frightened Rabbit...

I thought this thread was going to ask us to post a song so somebody else could recommend an album like it. But that's only because I'm no good at reading.

One of my favorite releases from this year is the "Don't Talk To" EP from Portland-based DJ and producer RAC (André Allen Anjos). RAC is best known for his remixes, and this EP is his first release of all original material. He gets his indie pop buddies to provide vocals for his compositions.

RAC - Let Go ft. Kele, MNDR - YouTube

RAC "Hollywood featuring Penguin Prison" Official Video - YouTube

He also has a project with his wife, who is a pretty decent vocalist in her own right, called Pink Feathers... (That's not her in the picture.)

Pink Feathers - In A Spell - YouTube

I'm hesitant to put a four-track EP on my AOTY list, but he is supposed to have a full album of original material out next year.

You can check out the full EP and all of his remixes at his website: http://rac.fm/releases

I can't recommend Blue Sky Black Death highly enough. I'm a big fan of plunderphonics, but it that's not you're thing, they're more than ambient enough on their latest album to make up for it. I'm not actually sure there's much plundering going on on Glaciers at all, really.

My favorite track from Noir:

Blue Sky Black Death - Sleeping Children Are Still Flying - YouTube

And probably the best track on Glaciers, if you forced me to pick just one:

Blue Sky Black Death - III (Glaciers) - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom