Recommend An Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Ok, so we've talked about doing this in the past, and I'm looking for a recommendation for something to listen to anyways, so I figured now was as good a time as any, especially with the recent release of Spotify in the U.S. making this all the easier.

Concept: Using Spotify/Grooveshark/etc., let's say Person A (Laz), recommends Person B (Friggin' Cobbler) Freestyles by Shaggy 2 Dope, Cobbler then needs to go find Freestyles by Shaggy 2 Dope on Grooveshark/Spotify/etc.. Until Cobbler then finds, listens to and reviews Freestyles by Shaggy 2 Dope, he can't recommend an album to Person C (Axver). Once this mission is accomplished, Cobbler then can recommend to Axver Idlewild.

So, come in, say, "Hey, I want to join in!" and to get things started, we'll go ahead and have LemonMelon recommend to that person, in this case, it would be me.

LemonMelon has recommend I listen to Chris Bell's solo album, I Am The Cosmos, so I'm going to that now, and hopefully by the time I'm done, someone else will have joined in and we can actually get this started (Cobbler, I'm counting on you).

If anyone has recommendations to get this to be a little less confusing and running a bit smoother, I'd appreciate.

And, obviously, while the above was in jest, I hope all will take into consideration the tastes and musical leanings of those they are recommending to.

Ok...hopefully this goes somewhere, because, this post definitely gave me a headache, and I'd hate for it to be for naught.

I guess you'd need to keep an updated list of participants so everyone knows who will supply the next rec.

And is this like a listening party thread, similar to the film thread over in ZS where everyone watched the same film and discussed? Albums are a lot easier to stream and listen to than movies, which I think is what killed the film thread. You could get through 2-3 albums recs a week and have some great, continuous discussion going on.

Similar, but people would not be listening to the same album.

I'll go ahead and get a list started. Those recommending albums can go ahead and just add to the list.
THE LIST:

LemonMelon recommended Bono_212 I Am The Cosmos - Chris Bell

So that means someone needs to recommend something to LemonMelon, and then someone needs to recommend something to whoever recommends to LemonMelon, etc. etc.

Ok...let me think this through. I believe then, Danny, you can recommend you something to LemonMelon, and I'll go ahead and recommend to you, even though I'm not done with my album yet since 1)I'm half through it and 2) We need to get the ball rolling.

You like The Cure right? If you haven't heard it yet, I recommend you Blue Sunshine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, as long as Danny Boy hasn't heard The Glove, then this is

The List:
LemonMelon recommended Bono_212: I Am The Cosmos - Chris Bell
Bono_212 recommended Danny Boy: Blue Sunshine - The Glove
Danny Boy recommended LemonMelon: Earth Sun Moon - Love and Rockets

If this feels too confusing, let me know, we can throw the whole concept part out and just make this a "recommend me an album" thread, but if it's not, I think this could be fun. We'll see.

Also, once you recommend something, go ahead and edit the list, and once you've finished something, go ahead and do a strikethrough on the list, write a short review, and then just put it out there that you're open for recommendations again.

The List:
LemonMelon recommended Bono_212: I Am The Cosmos - Chris Bell
Bono_212 recommended Danny Boy: Blue Sunshine - The Glove
Danny Boy recommended LemonMelon: Earth Sun Moon - Love and Rockets

Loved that Chris Bell album a whole, whole lot. I guess I'm kind of late to the Big Star bandwagon, but I've been liking them more and more as of late. This album, while sounding original in some points, definitely had the best of that Big Star sound as well.

Also, I was a big big fan of this one song:

Chris Bell - Speed Of Sound (Lyrics) - YouTube

Which means that I'm open for another recommendation, but I'm already familiar with Dummy, so let's see if someone else grabs that one up.

:D:D:D

Re: Love & Rockets, I thought it was interesting how the album progressed from rock bombast to folky psychedelia as it went on. The band has a good range and I liked a number of the songs, many of them in the second half although the songs that left the strongest impression tended to be in the first. I felt the production didn't suit the material all that well and they had an unfortunate tendency to just repeat the song title over and over in the choruses, which I consider a bit lazy.

Overall though, really good. Youth was a great closer.

I didn't think I knew anything by them, but oh man, they sing "No New Tale to Tell". I love that song, and haven't heard it in some time.

What do you like, Fitz? I'd recommend you something, but U2, Radiohead and Bloc Party don't tell me much. :wink:

What do you like, Fitz? I'd recommend you something, but U2, Radiohead and Bloc Party don't tell me much. :wink:

I like the electric guitar. I like mixing decks.

Well, by those 3 bands I think it's fair to say I'm a lover of the electric guitar. Acoustic guitar, singer/songwriter stuff doesn't really do anything for me, e.g., The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, etc. The two exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Led Zeppelin's "III" (which really isn't 100% acoustic) and Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska", both of which I absolutely love.

I also like some Prog stuff like Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, some King Crimson and Pink Floyd (if they qualify as prog?).

The last year I've been getting into more electronica, though I've always loved Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Orbital, Daft Punk. But now I'm getting into djs: Digweed, Sasha, Sander K., Steve Lawler, Nick Warren, Sven Vath. I like Progressive and Trance electronica and Tech House. I'm also a bit curious about Acid. And I do like Ambient stuff, like by Four Tet, Emeralds or the latest Moby album.

To give you an idea, here are some bands/acts that I've seen within the past year or will be seeing this year (a lot of these I saw at this year's Coachella, but not all of them):

Royksopp
The Drums
CSS
Elbow (x2)
U2 (x3)
Friendly Fires
Digweed
Sasha
Chemical Brothers
Underworld
LCD Soundsystem
deadmaou5
Arcade Fire
The Black Keys
Broken Social Scene (although I only know one of their albums)
The Field
Groove Armada
OMD
Prince (x2)
Tapes 'n Tapes
Weezer
Cut Copy
Moving Units
Steve Angello
Ratatat
The Presets
Sven Vath
Chromeo
Leftfield

Well, how about this: Argus by Wishbone Ash. I just heard that one for the first time the other day. It delves into prog, but it's truly a record for lovers of the electric guitar. I was stunned by how unpretentious and high quality the arrangements and lyricism were, while still showing off their musicianship. Very strong record, and surprisingly catchy.

Sure why not just add yourself to the list if you need a rec:

Awaiting Recommendations:
bono_212
lemonmelon
zoropop40?

I can send you an invite if you need one.

That would be really nice of you, if you don't mind. Thank you so much. :)

Well, how about this: Argus by Wishbone Ash. I just heard that one for the first time the other day. It delves into prog, but it's truly a record for lovers of the electric guitar. I was stunned by how unpretentious and high quality the arrangements and lyricism were, while still showing off their musicianship. Very strong record, and surprisingly catchy.

I'm sure my Dad has it on vinyl from when it came out in '72, but I don't know if it's one of the albums he replaced on cd. I'll see if he has the cd when I see him this Sunday.

OK, that's something new. I haven't really delved into hip-hop further even though I said I would. Maybe this is a good start, or not?

I'm being a bit of a dick, but yeah, Outkast are really good (most every hip hop fan here agrees) and Aquemini, though long, has everything I love so dearly about them :)

Back
Top Bottom