Recommend An Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened to Blue Sunshine on my morning run, which I have to say it isn't really cut out for. I still really enjoy it, but I have to admit it sounds a bit dated now. I think this is the first time I've listened to it since whatever year the remaster was released. Favorite tracks are still Like An Animal and Punish Me With Kisses. I think Robert Smith is underrated as a guitarist, and I like his work on this album. I did NOT listen to RS's resung tracks on disc 2, which are bloody awful; worse than Boner's.

OK, I recommend Utah Saints - Two to El Chupacobbler. Nice beats and a heaping helping of Michael Stipe.

I'll try to bring the lists up to date:

The List:
LemonMelon recommended Bono_212: I Am The Cosmos - Chris Bell
Bono_212 recommended Danny Boy: Blue Sunshine - The Glove
Danny Boy recommended LemonMelon: Earth Sun Moon - Love and Rockets
LemonMelon recommended FitzChivalry: Argus - Wishbone Ash
cobl04 recommended nielsgov: Aquemini - Outkast
Danny Boy recommended cobl04: Two - Utah Saints

Awaiting Recommendations:
bono_212
lemonmelon
zoropop40?
Danny Boy

Adele-21 which is even better than her album 18. She has incredible vocal range, a strong set of lungs and writes so compassionately and emotionally, right from her soul. I love this album.

I just got hold of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92, which I am interpreting as a recommendation from LM via his DI list.

I would like to recommend that he listen to Miles Davis's Get Up with It. He has heard a staggering number of albums, but I do not think that he will have heard this one.

How do you recommend listening to that one? Does it work in broken up listens, or do you just need to spend 2 hours with it straight through? I mean, I'd spend that much time with a movie, it's no big deal, but I've never listened to an album that long in one sitting.

I would split it into two or three listens. The two tracks that I am really curious for you to hear are "He Loved Him Madly" and "Calypso Frelimo." That would comprise about one hour of music.

OK, that's probably what I'll do then. I needed to hear it at some point but likely would have put it off because of the length.

I was going to listen to On The Corner next, fwiw. I adore Tribute To Jack Johnson.

Adele-21 which is even better than her album 18.

It's better than nothing, yeah.

Accepted recommendations:

cobl04 rec nielsgov: Aquemini - Outkast
Danny Boy rec bono_212: Fall Back Open - Now It's Overhead
Danny Boy rec cobl04: Two - Utah Saints
Iron Yuppie rec LemonMelon: Get Up With It - Miles Davis
LemonMelon rec FitzChivalry: Argus - Wishbone Ash
LemonMelon rec Iron Yuppie: Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - Aphex Twin

Awaiting recommendations:

Carek1230
zooropop40

Pending recommendations:

Carek1230: 21 - Adele
zooropop40: Dummy - Portishead

Zooropop and Carek should make this easier on us and just listen to each other's albums. :lol:

So Aquemini. It's hard for me to review this because it was outside of my comfort but here goes.

I can start by saying that I enjoyed it more than expected. I couldn't find a bad track on it which is very good considering its length. The only thing I disliked is the talking between the songs. It's hard for me to understand everything they say so I don't really try. I guess it's supposed to be funny? There are of course some great tracks on the album too, most notably Rosa Parks, Spottieottiedopaliscious (what an awesome title) and Liberation. I'll give this a few more listens because I really enjoyed most of it.

So, the list.

Carek1230
zooropop40

Aren't Danny Boy and Iron Yuppie also awaiting a recommendation?

I'd like to recommend to anyone who wants the following album: dEUS - In A Bar Under A Sea. It's my favourite album of Belgium's most succesful, and best, rock band. It's a great mix between pop, rock and even some jazz.

SpottieOttieDopaliscious is definitely my favorite on Aquemini, which is high praise.

Yes, Danny Boy needs a recommendation too. I forgot he listened to The Glove's record this morning. But iYup has my recommendation, so he's good to go.

Carek1230
Danny Boy
zooropop40

Pending recommendations:

Carek1230: 21 - Adele
zooropop40: Dummy - Portishead
nielsgov: In A Bar Under The Sea - dEUS

Damn it travis, you told me the wrong album, lol. Im listening to cobblers recommendation. Oh well, its awesome.

:angry: The list is right there.

Why I didn't read something I've spent a half hour editing, I have no idea.

I was going to listen to On The Corner next, fwiw. I adore Tribute To Jack Johnson.

Both tremendous albums. The range that he showed between 1969 and 1975 is nothing short of incredible. That's why I love Get Up With It so much: it showcases everything that he was doing throughout that extremely fertile period.

Adele 21 isn't available on Spotify in the US. I can download it from Freegal, but only 3 tracks per week. No way I'm paying for it.

*Scumbo, hold your fire. Freegal is a legitimate service that allows you to download music from Sony labels through your local library.

Just use Grooveshark, man. The only song worth paying for on there is Rolling In The Deep anyway.

So Aquemini. It's hard for me to review this because it was outside of my comfort but here goes.

I can start by saying that I enjoyed it more than expected. I couldn't find a bad track on it which is very good considering its length. The only thing I disliked is the talking between the songs. It's hard for me to understand everything they say so I don't really try. I guess it's supposed to be funny? There are of course some great tracks on the album too, most notably Rosa Parks, Spottieottiedopaliscious (what an awesome title) and Liberation. I'll give this a few more listens because I really enjoyed most of it.

awesome man :up: for the record, i don't like those skits (the talking in between) either. I'd delete them all if I could. SpottieOttie is probably my fourth or fifth favourite from the album... and I think it's tremendous. The lyrics, the horns, the slinky beats knock me out every time.

:angry: The list is right there.

Why I didn't read something I've spent a half hour editing, I have no idea.

I trusted you to give me the right answer when I asked you what I was supposed to listen to :(.

awesome man :up: for the record, i don't like those skits (the talking in between) either. I'd delete them all if I could. SpottieOttie is probably my fourth or fifth favourite from the album... and I think it's tremendous. The lyrics, the horns, the slinky beats knock me out every time.

I kind of hated the skits, but I know there was one on there I really laughed hard at. Just can't remember which it was.

The record store owner kicking the guys out of his store because they wouldn't take a second copy of the new Pimp Trick Gangsta Click album always makes me laugh.

You don't have to recommend anything in order to receive one. Just say you're interested and you're up for them. Of course, it's nice to share the wealth.

I'd recommend you something now, but I've given out two already.

Zooropop, if you like Dummy - which, by the way, is one of my very favorite albums, you might also like Bjork's Homogenic.

Two I'm kind of meant to listen to because I promised friends, are Bette Noire by Bryan Ferry and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

I'll give this a shot!

I'm mainly into indie and alternative rock. When I say alternative, I mean Radiohead, not Breaking Benjamin. As for the indie side of things, I'm pretty open to whatever, but I don't like that surf rock with lo-fi distorted vocals touch. Best Coast and Wavves did it well, but most others don't.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

I'll give this a shot!

I'm mainly into indie and alternative rock. When I say alternative, I mean Radiohead, not Breaking Benjamin. As for the indie side of things, I'm pretty open to whatever, but I don't like that surf rock with lo-fi distorted vocals touch. Best Coast and Wavves did it well, but most others don't.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
I've already mentioned this one: dEUS - In A Bar Under A Sea. It's a great example of 'alternative' rock of the best Belgian band of the last twenty years. There are some more experimental songs on there and a few jazz influences. It's definitely one of my favourites.

I'm also ready for a new recommendation. Just give me something pop, rock or electronic. That's very vague but I don't care. You can broaden my horizon.

Should I download Michael Jacksons discography, or will I end up with albums I don't wanna listen to? :crack:

Back
Top Bottom