Recommend An Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm gonna take advantage on the fact that Fado was declared human intangible heritage by UNESCO last week, to recommend who I think it was the best portuguese singer ever: Amália Rodrigues.
I'll leave some links of some songs and performances of her, from her early stardom years, from her most prolific/popular/creative period, to her late years.
She sang other kinds of music besides Fado (like reinterpretations of traditional/folklore portuguese music, italian and spanish songs, etc) and some of the links will show it.

I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do.

THE ART OF AMÁLIA (Part 8 - "Barco Negro", 1955) The Art Of Amália is the 90 minute shortened international version in english of the original documentary in portuguese which lasts 5 hours.

THE ART AMÁLIA (Part 11 - "Gaivota", 1965)

"Rua Do Capelão/Novo Fado da Severa" (mid-1940's)

"Ai Mouraria" (1945)

"Povo Que Lavas No Rio" (1961) (from one of her most popular albums, gained a political "charge" because the people recognized itself in the lyrics)

"Abandono" and "Fado Português" (1965)
"Abandono" is about all the people who were arrested in Peniche for political reasons during the dictatorship back then. "Abandono" was censored and forbidden for a few weeks, but the album was a huge sucess and Amália was "too big to be forbidden", so the censorship was lifted.
I rarely cry while listening music, but this song is so "heavy" that I cannot avoid crying everytime I listen to it.

"Formiga Bossa Nova" (1969) a Brazilian typical song played in traditional portuguese guitars

"Vou Dar De Beber À Dor" (1969) her best selling single

"Com Que Voz" (1970)

"Amores Eu Tenho" (1970) Amália feat. Natália Correia (a portuguese poet) singing a medieval song (XIII century)

"El Porompompero" (1972) (spanish traditional, I guess)

"Tiro Liro Liro" tradicional/popular (1976)

"Lisboa Antiga" (1979) although this is a traditional popular march of the 1940's)

"Caracóis" (1982) (although is a song from 1969)

"Fadinho Da Ti' Maria Benta" (1982) popular/traditional

"Lagrima" (1983)

"Grito" (1985) this is the Fado Amália required she wanted to be played/sung in her funeral

Once again, enjoy it, hope you like it! ;)

Back
Top Bottom