Ray LaMontagne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kakvox

Refugee
Anyone else a big fan of Ray LaMontagne and his debut Trouble that came out in late 2004? It hasn't left my cd player since a friend gave me a copy a few weeks ago. He reminds me a lot of The Band. Seriously this whole album is amazing. :drool:

Yeah he's pretty class. I'm seeing him at ACL in September.

I'm bumping this thread because I just picked up his new album (as well as Trouble), and I haven't listened to anything else since Saturday. I'm completely floored by how lovely his voice is. I've been going through sort of a dry spell with new music lately, but he's as talented a songwriter as I've heard in a long time. :love:

If you're buying individual tracks, I recommend Empty, Can I Stay, Barfly, and Three More Days from Til the Sun Turns Black, and the title track from Trouble (though that whole album is pretty stellar).

I haven't heard the new album yet, but he was excellent on Friday.

Anyone notice something familiar about the cover of Trouble, the quote on the inside of the cover, and the lyrical content of some of the songs?

elevation2u said:
he cheated on his wife? his wife took their daughters and moved out? now he lives alone?

....at least that's what I got from the recent interview

Exactly. And the cover art is of a devil character dancing with a blindfolded woman. And the quote inside the cover is: : "Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song."

Funny how someone else has represented almost the exact same thing in the exact same way.

Last edited:
I don't think he has a bad song on either of his two albums. I saw him on his tour with Guster this summer, and I'm planning on seeing him again in Atlanta this December. No one has a voice like his.

I saw him last night, it was pretty amazing-except for some a holes in the audience.

Ray is the complete anti-Bono on stage, he barely speaks and when he does it's a whisper. The most excitement was when he called a guy a fuckhead for yelling out Freebird. I don't understand, if people want to go to a raucous rock show why would they go see someone like him? Some people and what they yelled out, it was so rude. He did To Love Somebody by The Bee Gees as an encore.

I was there early and he walked out of his bus and into the theater and never even looked at anyone. Oh well, he speaks with his voice and music.

I didn't even know he had a wife and/or daughters.

I got this NPR link from his mailing list

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6599923

Last edited:
He has a new album out next month, Gossip In The Grain. These are the songs. I can't wait to hear it

1. Let It Be Me
2. Hey Me, Hey Mama
3. Sarah
4. I Still Care For You
5. Winter Birds
6. Meg White
7. Achin’ All The Time
8. Henry Nearly Killed Me (It’s A Shame)
9. A Falling Through
10. Gossip In The Grain

His tour dates are on his web site, there are presales today. I was thinking about maybe getting a ticket but I didn't.

His tour dates are on his web site, there are presales today. I was thinking about maybe getting a ticket but I didn't.

I saw him last year and it was one of my favourite concerts. I'd defo buy tickets to see him again if he comes over here.

He was touring with Leona Naess last time as well.

I've liked him for quite awhile and still haven't gotten to see him. The closest show to me this time is on a school night, though :grumpy:

Apparently the new album has been pushed back to October

You Are The Best Thing is on his MySpace page

http://www.myspace.com/raylamontagne

1. You Are The Best Thing
2. Let It Be Me
3. Sarah
4. I Still Care For You
5. Winter Birds
6. Meg White
7. Hey Me, Hey Mama
8. Henry Nearly Killed Me(It's A Shame)
9. A Falling Through
10. Gossip In The Grain

I heard "Let it Be Me" recently and it is gorgeous. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

I was hoping I Won't Be Around would finally get a proper release. I've got a few mp3s of it from live shows, but none of them are very good quality. I'm still looking forward to this one, though.

Back
Top Bottom