Random Music Thread LXIII: Cobbler is disqualified for poor effort.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll watch a French or Italian film without the English subtitles. I usually don't get very far, but I pat myself on the back for the effort.

You can still learn a lot of the language with the subtitles. I've learned basically 80% of my English through subtitled films.

You know what language used to fuck me up? Polish. Because some things would sound enough like something I understood, but never quite make sense. Now, it might as well be Portuguese (we've got a couple towns around here where all the old folks are either from Portugal or Poland so I do actually hear both more than you'd think when I'm at work).

Slavic languages are supposedly a bitch, yeah.

Russian verb tenses always seemed absurdly simple compared to English to me, though.

I took three years of Sanskrit in college. (Or was it four?) SO FUCKING HARD. 70% was an A. I was thrilled to get a B that second or third year. I could read a little of the words on the Indian art at LACMA for a few years, but I couldn't do it now.

My high school French helped when I had to read signs and stuff in Lima.

You can still learn a lot of the language with the subtitles. I've learned basically 80% of my English through subtitled films.

Yeah, turning off the subtitles is just a little test to see how much I can pick up on my own. Makes me listen better. Or differently anyway. But then I end up listening to the language but not following the story.

I didn't realize English wasn't your first language until recently.

Welsh is the worst I've come across. You might as well just start throat warbling

Welsh is impossible. A fascinating language, but beyond my merely mortal abilities.

I was once functionally fluent in German, once knew decent Japanese, was once "fluent" in Latin, and could once competently read Old English. Those days are now long behind me. I can still get by in German, in day-to-day situations, and can understand situational Japanese. It's sad, but if you can't practice...

I'm a total moron, I don't overthink music, trust me. I wanted to like it, bought it, put it on, gave it back to back listens with headphones while out on the balcony, and, it just didn't do it for me. Maybe I'll try one more time.....

Were you sipping a fine Merlot out on that balcony?

Jeez, even at home he listens to stuff from the douchebag seats.

I speak a little French, but understand a lot more than I can speak. Grammar's rough. I know a lot of word definitions though. Also watch a lot of contemporary and old French films, so I'm constantly hearing it.

Picked up a little Italian and Spanish here and there. I'm pretty good with accents so when I do go to other countries I can at least deliver the common tourist phrases and be understood. Did fine in German and Czech. For some reason Hungarian gave me trouble. The accents/vowels were really confusing.

And like NSW, I used to read/write Hebrew. I could still pronounce stuff if necessary as I'm pretty sure I retained the alphabet, but maybe remember the meanings of less than 10 words if I'm lucky.

Russian verb tenses always seemed absurdly simple compared to English to me, though.

I took a semester of Russian and it was easier for me since my native tongue is somewhat similar to it, but I wouldn't say the verb tenses are simpler than English, especially in terms of conjugation.

Interesting comments from some people here who did forget a lot of some foreign language when they didn't use it that much. I fear this will happen to my German, since I won't be living in a German-speaking country anymore. Watching tons of German films might slow down the process at least.

Interesting comments from some people here who did forget a lot of some foreign language when they didn't use it that much. I fear this will happen to my German, since I won't be living in a German-speaking country anymore. Watching tons of German films might slow down the process at least.

I have a German-born friend who left Germany when he was 20 and has been living in the US for 20 years. He says he's lost quite a bit of German. His English is impeccable. I thought he was from Boston, which is where he first landed and studied English.

Jeez, even at home he listens to stuff from the douchebag seats.

I lob these things up and see who steps up...it's usually you and LM. Nice.

And like NSW, I used to read/write Hebrew. I could still pronounce stuff if necessary as I'm pretty sure I retained the alphabet, but maybe remember the meanings of less than 10 words if I'm lucky.

Hell, even when I had full command of reading and writing the language, my vocabulary was extremely limited. Very odd to be able to read this stuff and yet not know what the hell it meant.

It's called "indoctrination".

They don't care if you know what it says, they just think that a bunch of kids chanting it together is somehow going to...convince God we care?

It was mostly Bar Mitzvah prep, more than anything else. I only studied Hebrew for a year or two, and the second my Bar Mitzvah was over I started to slowly forget the language.

I have a German-born friend who left Germany when he was 20 and has been living in the US for 20 years. He says he's lost quite a bit of German. His English is impeccable. I thought he was from Boston, which is where he first landed and studied English.

There are tons of Croats (my folk) living in immigration all over the place, and it's interesting to see how their knowledge of the language deteriorates over time. Most of them are still quite patriotic and are working on never losing it, but it's interesting to see how they struggle with it at some points. I've met a lot of people in countries like Australia and Sweden and they all follow a similar pattern.

Do you guys get the show Treasure Trader on the History Channel in the states? It's such an awesome show. Bummed to hear that the main guy died last year

I can read a bit of Spanish, and can understand it if the speaker speaks slowly. I took 4 years. I did find that my Spanish got better once I started taking Latin. I used to read a bit of ancient Attic Greek. My father was fluent in Spanish, it was his first language. My Mother however can't speak a word, so no Spanish at home to teach me.

Oh and how did I not know Two Door Cinema Club leaked? Downloading now.

Oh and heading up to San Francisco tomorrow for Outside Lands. Stevie Wonder, Metallica, Jack White, Foo fighters, the Kills!, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, etc.

Shut the hell up.

xpz5eBIh.gif

My high school had obligatory Latin for two years so that was a good preparation for Spanish. I still have to go to a Spanish-speaking country to really get a hold of the language.

I can read a bit of Spanish, and can understand it if the speaker speaks slowly. I took 4 years. I did find that my Spanish got better once I started taking Latin. I used to read a bit of ancient Attic Greek. My father was fluent in Spanish, it was his first language. My Mother however can't speak a word, so no Spanish at home to teach me.

Oh and how did I not know Two Door Cinema Club leaked? Downloading now.

Oh and heading up to San Francisco tomorrow for Outside Lands. Stevie Wonder, Metallica, Jack White, Foo fighters, the Kills!, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, etc.

Hope you guys have a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom