Random Music Thread LXIII: Cobbler is disqualified for poor effort.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an opener? Just Pokey Lafarge and his band. They were fun.

He means the bands Jack rotates throughout the show. He has a male and a female group, and sometimes he mixes them.

He did a lot of mixing and matching throughout at Lollapalooza, it was interesting to watch. Dude has Captain Beefheart-level control of his band.

Ah. He had just the all-women band last night. They were great.

Although I was pretty far back; if he swapped out a few players, I might not have noticed.

I'm still impressed that Jack managed to fit 20 songs into 90 minutes when I saw him, and it never felt like he was rushing through the songs.

Plus, it was a slightly uncommon show with both Ball and Biscuit AND Black Math :heart: No I'm Slowly Turning Into You though, which was disappointing.

Oops, I lied. He did play Ball and Biscuit.

I liked that he played songs from all his various incarnations (not that I would recognize a Dead Weather song if it bit me in the ass - I have one of the CDs but haven't listened to it much; will have to remedy that).

Looking at the setlist, I have to say I didn't realize he'd played so many songs!

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Missing Pieces
Weep Themselves to Sleep
Love Interruption
Hotel Yorba
Top Yourself
Hypocritical Kiss
Screwdriver
Blue Blood Blues
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
I Guess I Should Go to Sleep
The Same Boy You've Always Known
The Hardest Button to Button

Encore:
Sixteen Saltines
Freedom At 21
Steady, As She Goes
Blunderbuss
We're Gonna Be Friends
Take Me With You When You Go
Ball and Biscuit
Suzy Lee / Seven Nation Army
Goodnight, Irene

The only thing that disappointed me was that Jack is doing some palm muting thing to introduce Seven Nation Army instead of driving the crowd nuts with the kick drum. I have no idea what that's about.

Did he have the audience sing the riff for the last verse? That was pretty cool.

He had a big pause before he started the song, like we knew it had to be next, and he was all "Yeah, you know it. Just wait ... wait for it ......."

Oh yeah, people were vocalizing the guitar riff well after Jack had left the stage. Duhhh duh duh duh duh DUH duhhhhh

DUH duh duh duh duh DUH duh duh duhhhhhh

#EYKIW

I snuck out during Goodnight Irene because it was a long walk to my car, but I was humming it all the way down the block, so it's like I stayed for the whole song!

Hotel Yorba was way better than I thought it would be. Better than the album version, IMO. It's been fleshed out beautifully.

I'm still a bit disappointed that he isn't playing On and On and On.

I've never really heard anything by Talking Heads live, though they're one of the most acclaimed live bands of the '80s.

Diving in head first with The Name of this Band is Talking Heads. It's amazing, the version of Psycho Killer on there is some next-level shit. This is heyday Talking Heads too, Remain in Light era.

This is pretty much the only way I shop, so if packaging changes, I screwed.

For the last two months I thought they stopped making my facewash and ended up swapping brands. Turns out they just completely changed the package. Used to be green, now it's white. Way to blend in, jerks

I've never really heard anything by Talking Heads live, though they're one of the most acclaimed live bands of the '80s.

Diving in head first with The Name of this Band is Talking Heads. It's amazing, the version of Psycho Killer on there is some next-level shit. This is heyday Talking Heads too, Remain in Light era.

One of the most amazing shows I ever saw.

I loved Tame Impala's show, and the new songs sound great. If you already like their music, there's no reason that you wouldn't enjoy them live.

Damn. 45 minutes. I'm on the verge of hauling my desktop over to a fabulous friend's house because my iPhoto is being a dick. Maybe I'll watch that on my husband's desktop later on. he's out of town right now. He'll never know. :hmm:

So will Tame Impala be worth the 33 clams it'll cost to go them them on a Saturday night right before Thanksgiving week?

Doesn't seem worth the effort of hauling that many clams from a fishmongerer to a concert venue. You think they'd prefer to take currency in exchange for their music, not mollusks. Australians are weird.

So here is what I threw together for the "People's List" over at Pitchfork, for anyone who might be interested:

1. Radiohead: In Rainbows
2. Bjork: Homogenic
3. Radiohead: Kid A
4. The National: Alligator
5. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Raising Sand
6. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
7. Radiohead: OK Computer
8. The White Stripes: De Stijl
9. Arcade Fire: Funeral
10. The National: High Violet

11. Feist: Let It Die
12. Radiohead: Hail to the Thief
13. U2: Pop
14. LCD Soundsystem: Sound of Silver
15. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: No More Shall We Part
16. Depeche Mode: Playing the Angel
17. Antony & The Johnsons: I Am a Bird Now
18. Sufjan Stevens: Seven Swans
19. Tom Waits: Mule Variations
20. Iron & Wine: The Shepherd’s Dog

21. Hercules & Love Affair: Hercules & Love Affair
22. Burial: Untrue
23. The National: Boxer
24. Modest Mouse: The Lonesome Crowded West
25. Radiohead: The King of Limbs
26. R.E.M.: New Adventures in Hi-Fi
27. Morrissey: You Are the Quarry
28: The White Stripes: White Blood Cells
29. Portishead: Third
30. Bat for Lashes: Two Suns

31. St. Vincent: Strange Mercy
32. Beach House: Teen Dream
33. Bruce Springsteen: Magic
34. The Horrors: Primary Colours
35. Robert Plant: Dreamland
36. Cut Copy: In Ghost Colours
37. Los Campesinos!: We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
38. The Who: Endless Wire
39. Sigur Ros: Agaetis Byrjun
40. Grizzly Bear: Yellow House

41. Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
42. Antony & The Johnsons: The Crying Light
43. Deerhunter: Halcyon Digest
44. Ryan Adams: Love Is Hell
45. Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
46. David Bowie: Heathen
47: The Walkmen: Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone
48. Interpol: Turn on the Bright Lights
49. Tim Hecker: Ravedeath, 1972
50. Elton John: Songs from the West Coast

Ranking them was incredibly difficult. I would say that any entries after #20 or so are basically interchangeable.

Looks good, lots of albums that would definitely be on a list of mine. Yeah, I think I'd cry trying to rank my favorite albums. I hate the idea of "I like this one more than this one" for some reason. I feel like I enjoy different albums or types of music for complete different reasons, so they shouldn't be graded on the same scales. Something like that. I just hate ranking things I guess.

I hate the idea of "I like this one more than this one" for some reason. I feel like I enjoy different albums or types of music for complete different reasons, so they shouldn't be graded on the same scales. Something like that. I just hate ranking things I guess.

Yeah, the whole thing is a bit of a futile exercise at its core. I tried to rank them based on innovation, consistency of vision, strength of songs, and general atmosphere, all the while understanding how incredibly vague all those criteria are. I feel pretty assured about my top ten, but, like I said, after that the order could be drastically altered on any given day.

u2popmofo said:
Looks good, lots of albums that would definitely be on a list of mine. Yeah, I think I'd cry trying to rank my favorite albums. I hate the idea of "I like this one more than this one" for some reason. I feel like I enjoy different albums or types of music for complete different reasons, so they shouldn't be graded on the same scales. Something like that. I just hate ranking things I guess.

Part of you dies whenever the list thread is bumped, doesn't it?

I created the thread idea in Bang and Clatter, so no. I have no problem with lists. I just don't like ranking things, it takes everything I like about music and turns it into douchery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom