Random Music Thread LXIII: Cobbler is disqualified for poor effort.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass transit in Phoenix is useless. I read an article that said, with the money the city spent on our light rail that goes pretty much nowhere anyone needs to go, they could have bought all of its regular users a Prius and gas for ten years. :|

And thanks. I'm stressed about it, so I'll take all the luck I can get.

Cobbler on a Contiki tour to Cancun amuses me greatly. I really hope you're going to Coachella first.

Hoping to go to the 2014 fest myself, 2013 is all about Summersonic.

Mass transit in Phoenix is useless. I read an article that said, with the money the city spent on our light rail that goes pretty much nowhere anyone needs to go, they could have bought all of its regular users a Prius and gas for ten years. :|

And thanks. I'm stressed about it, so I'll take all the luck I can get.

I've been to Phoenix and Scottsdale a bunch, and, yeah, mass transit there seemed like an afterthought.

No thanks needed, I'm sure you'll be great and that luck will not be needed at all.

Good luck HG :)

Cobbler on a Contiki tour to Cancun amuses me greatly. I really hope you're going to Coachella first.

Hoping to go to the 2014 fest myself, 2013 is all about Summersonic.

Why? :lol: I made it through the full moon party, Cancun will be a breeze... Coachella first yes.

What a shame you're not going this year... Pitbull is playing!

I actually did some consulting work for Maricopa County and the City of Mesa a few years ago on the light rail extension into downtown Mesa.

Metro Phoenix problem is that its just too damn spread out. Its mile after mile of low density sprawl, and mass transit is hard to implement in such an area. I don't doubt they've already spend billions putting in the light rail lines, but there are just too many endless suburbs, and its just not cost effective to run light rail into areas where the ridership numbers would be low because the density can't support it. Thus an expensive, ineffective mass transit system.

So I quite enjoyed Sea Change. Having never been through a big break-up there's a lot I don't relate to on a personal level but the lyrics are great. Nigel Godrich does a great job with production, keeping it pretty grounded considering it could have been melodramatic given the subject matter. Favourite tracks were probably Sunday Sun, Golden Age, Guess I'm Doing Fine and It's All in Your Mind. It all runs together but it's still nice.

There's a lot of Nick Drake about it. Personal, melancholic lyrics, really nice music. But Round the Bend in particular made my ears prick up, because everything about it reminded me of this song by Nick Drake - the music, the vocal delivery, the pacing of the words. Very, very spooky.

Nick Drake - River Man - YouTube

There's an artist we haven't talked about in a long time, by the way. Once we've finished discussing Sea Change we can move onto Nick Drake.

Five Leaves Left :heart:
Bryter Layter :heart::heart:
Pink Moon :heart::heart::heart:

Sea Change is perhaps the best-sounding album I've ever heard. The production is masterful and the songs are uniformly great. It was the end of Fun Beck, but an excellent parting gift, nonetheless. Do return to it whenever someone inevitably fucks you over.

And I only marginally prefer Pink Moon. I should write a sentimental/long-winded post about that one soon.

I had to look up the word bogan. I found this on Wikipedia: ...for an individual who is recognised to be from an unsophisticated background or someone whose limited education, speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplifies a lack of manners and education.

It made me lol.

Axver said:
Rite of passage for bogan Australians, and apparently Cobbler too.

Pretty much.

But hey, I've already done the time-honoured Australian pastime of the early-20s boys trip to Thailand, so Contiki seems like the next logical step.

So I quite enjoyed Sea Change. Having never been through a big break-up there's a lot I don't relate to on a personal level but the lyrics are great.

Just put your hands on the wheel and let the golden age begin, bro.

I've decided to make it my mission to finally get into Beck, I'm not sure why I haven't already, as I've enjoyed everything I've heard from him and that Futurama episode is delightful. Scientology??

Yeasayer's Fragrant World was, to my surprise, pretty damn decent. Henrietta, Fingers Never Bleed and Longevity were my standouts, though all come from the first half of the album which may be a concern for future listens. Reagan's Skeleton is a fun jam. Not mind blowing, but the album's worth a bash.

As for Contiki tours, they are hardly bogan exclusive (well, I imagine the non-Asian tours are, at least). That said, I don't think I could go on one, just because I'd like to immerse myself in my destination as much as possible and would hate to be pushed around to a different country every couple of days.

U2girl's reaction to everything:

joshua-tree-album-u2-inside-cover-550x322.jpg

There's a wide array of expressions to choose from, granted.

See. You guys knew who I was talking about.

I love 80s U2 as much as any straight girl music lover. But come on. Bono can be freakin' hilarious, intentionally hilarious, even during the 80s. But they all seem to think he's dead earnest all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom