Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun tonight at the music bowl.

It starts raining so heavily during the first support act that everyone on the lawn is asked to temporarily move forward to the seats.

Everyone moves, but it continues raining heavily and the water starts to pool towards the stage. Soon enough the front row has water well above ankle height.

Somehow I look away at precisely the wrong moment, but next thing I know a giant block of speakers has crashed down from the edge of the stage into the water.

Now the entire seating area has to be evacuated.

Meanwhile, everyone who hasn't been scanned in is made to line up for the next two hours while the venue decides if it can go ahead or not.

Finally 2 hours 15 minutes after the first support act had to finish mid-song, the next support act starts and the show goes on.

Hah, I figured I'd know somebody who went to Paul Kelly this evening. I wonder how many people didn't even get there because of cancelled trains and flooded roads?

Hah, I figured I'd know somebody who went to Paul Kelly this evening. I wonder how many people didn't even get there because of cancelled trains and flooded roads?

The seats appeared full, I'm not sure about the lawn because I was near the rail but I suspect it was fairly full too based on how it looked when I left. It started fairly late, just before 9:40PM so that would've helped.

Last edited:
We joked afterwards that its too bad we didn't get it on video, and as I said proper musical accompaniment by Yakkety Sax and we'd have had ourselves a potential viral video.

Damn it, oh well. I can leave it up to the imagination.
I am fine with this year's class overall, only argument would be against Janet same as I argued against Madonna...its just not rock n roll, but since clearly they will continue to induct these type artists, just rename the hall (Modern Music Hall of Fame or something).

I've given up being irritated by it, it's going to keep happening, and I doubt they're going to change the name of the hall, so so be it, I guess.

The seats appeared full, I'm not sure about the lawn because I was near the rail but I suspect it was fairly full too based on how it looked when I left. It started fairly late, just before 9:40PM so that would've helped.

Glad you were able to still see the show, that's a pretty crazy story.

You triggered a memory from when I was a kid, though:
https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategori...cle_e7067e89-4e8b-52aa-9270-d71823ca2214.html

Basically, Bill Clinton came to my small-town back in 1996 and a TON of people showed up to hear him speak. A lot of people were climbing on this speaker poll and knocked it over, before Clinton even got there. There's some other crazy shenanigans in the story as well, including someone getting trampled by a horse.

EDIT: Actually the article suggests the speaker stand just fell over on its own. I remember at the time the story was that people were climbing on it for a better view, but I was also 9-years-old at the time, so...

Been an odd year for music for me.

Same for me. I have heard a lot of stuff this year, but very little connected. There are a lot of decent albums out there but very, very few that will last in heavy rotation. Probably the weakest year in music since I began following it closely, IMO.

Same for me. I have heard a lot of stuff this year, but very little connected. There are a lot of decent albums out there but very, very few that will last in heavy rotation. Probably the weakest year in music since I began following it closely, IMO.

This is how I feel too. I've had a look at my RYM ratings and at the moment this year I've given out easily the fewest ratings higher than 3.5 for the current decade. So many albums have been a 3 or 3.5, "yeah that's fine but I'm not rushing back to hear it again" sort of experience. I have felt that in a lot of the genres and scenes I follow, the trends have consistently been away from what I like the most, but without anything new and exciting coming along to balance that out.

On the other hand, last night I stumbled upon a whole bunch of great new shoegaze and dream pop albums thanks to one random site's year-end list, stuff with which I felt an immediate connection. And Kerretta's new sludgy post-rock album is as good as I hoped. That all made for an enjoyable evening.

I feel exactly the same way.

There's some stuff I really like (Mitski, Janelle, Natalie Prass, Noname, Kacey Musgraves), but it's been a sub-par year as far as I'm concerned.

Huh. I thought it was great year and am leaving with about a dozen new favorites. Granted, I've never listened to more new albums than I did this year so maybe that's why.

For me, 2014 was the worst year of the decade so far. Piñata and Black Messiah were about it as far as masterpieces go.

W1CKfRxh.jpg

Huh. I thought it was great year and am leaving with about a dozen new favorites. Granted, I've never listened to more new albums than I did this year so maybe that's why.

For me, 2014 was the worst year of the decade so far. Piñata and Black Messiah were about it as far as masterpieces go.

I just started drafting my year-end list and it has really confirmed for me how little I've connected with 2018: it's the first time I've struggled to make a top forty since I began listening to enough albums for such an exercise (my first draft has 41 albums, 12 more to relisten, and 6 EPs; normally my drafts start with about 60-70, 20-30, and 10 respectively). Interestingly, looking through my old rankings on RYM, the actual amount of albums I've heard in a particular year doesn't seem to affect my impression too much - if anything, the years I like the most I've actually heard slightly fewer albums from, because I get more enjoyment out of each individual album that I play them more and search out other stuff less.

I wouldn't attempt to rank all the years of the 2010s, but it will take a special year to ever top 2015 for me while 2018 looks pretty certain to come at the bottom of the pack. My top two are all-timers (Death and the Maiden, Midas Fall), and my third chooses itself too (Infinite Void), but beyond that... ehh.

It doesn't help, though, that a handful of the artists I've enjoyed most this year haven't put out an album. Health's singles have been in constant rotation, for example. What surprises me is that, with the exception of the most recent single, none will be on their new album next year.

Also, music fronted by dudes has sucked this year. Going just by vocalists, my current draft top twenty has only five albums with exclusively male vocals, and two more where blokes show up on the mic at times (but with a woman on most leads).

Yeah, it could also be that it just hasn't been that good of a year for music for me. Especially compared to last year, which was all-time good for me with my top three all being classics that I'll love and listen to for many years to come (Gang of Youths, LCD, The National)

Next year will be better because Biffy Clyro is supposedly releasing 2 albums next year!

I have no opinion on this year's music as I really haven't listened to enough of it to have one, but on the question of which year this decade has been best, I think I have to go with 2016.

Radiohead and Bowie both putting out albums of that quality in the same year was something special. That alone gives 2016 the nod for me for now. Plus Esperanza's "Emily's D+Evolution", Solange's album, etc.

I think it was a strong year. Saint Vincent, Lost in the Dream, They Want My Soul, Morning Phase, I Never Learn are all excellent.

I have no opinion on this year's music as I really haven't listened to enough of it to have one, but on the question of which year this decade has been best, I think I have to go with 2016.

Radiohead and Bowie both putting out albums of that quality in the same year was something special. That alone gives 2016 the nod for me for now. Plus Esperanza's "Emily's D+Evolution", Solange's album, etc.

Biffy Clyro also released their Ellipses album in 2016.

As we approach the end of the year, what do people have as dark horse / most overlooked album? Mine would be Armand Hammer's Paraffin. Low-fi, super-literate hip hop.

As we approach the end of the year, what do people have as dark horse / most overlooked album? Mine would be Armand Hammer's Paraffin. Low-fi, super-literate hip hop.

My pick:

Found it on RYM and fell in love immediately. It's like a more electronic Grizzly Bear. There's some Animal Collective, Stereolab and Sweet Trip in there too. Definitely going to be in my top 3 for the year and I haven't seen it on a single list.

*Avantdale

And plenty of coverage down here.

sorry I checked the spelling but the computer seemed to fix it wrongly.....

really? in more of US-leaning media like Pitchfork or Stereogum, I didnt see much coverage. I saw way more press about noname (fantastic) or JID (fantastic).

I'm getting the feeling right now that every NZ music publication feels obliged to name it album of the year.

Sounds boring as shit to me so I ain't gonna listen.

My pick:

Found it on RYM and fell in love immediately. It's like a more electronic Grizzly Bear. There's some Animal Collective, Stereolab and Sweet Trip in there too. Definitely going to be in my top 3 for the year and I haven't seen it on a single list.

Cool, I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom