Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas everyone!

I invested in two Play Ones during Black Friday. Was thinking of getting a Play 5 but there was no discount on that one. :lol:

Ban Christmas music.

Also, happy Boxing Day, I hope you are comfy in front of the Test cricket with good food and cold froffies. Love that there are Boxing Day Tests on both sides of the Tasman again.

Should've put on the Hagley Test, mate. 14 wickets. Tim Southee hit 68 with the bat and picked up 3 with the ball!

Seriously though, Darlene Love's version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) is the greatest Christmas song of all time. I don't think anything can realistically top its passionate vocal, its melancholy lyricism, and its vintage wall of sound production. Absolute masterpiece.

I'll never understand the hate for Wonderful Christmastime.

It probably has something to do with the fact that it's from that much-maligned, super-duper-commercial post-Wings pre-Beatles Anthology period of Macca's career that people dislike.

I like it though. It's catchy.

Greatest Christmas song ever is certainly hyperbole though.

And Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays everyone!

Well, this is interesting. According to Chris Vrenna, Axl Rose wanted Chinese Democracy to sound like the Passengers album.

“Can you imagine a Guns N’ Roses record with [guitarist] Robin Finck and me and Moby producing? And Axl really wanted it to have an electronic element. He kept referencing the Passengers album that U2 did [‘Original Soundtracks 1,’ a 1995 collaborative effort of U2 and Brian Eno released under the pseudonym of Passengers] – ‘It’s wonderful. It’s so good.’ That and Nine Inch Nails.”

Sons of the silent age
Pace their rooms like a cell's dimensions
Rise for a year or two then make war
Search through their one-inch thoughts
Then decide it couldn't be done

I love how weird and paranoid Bowie's lyrics were during that time.

Thanks for hesitating
You'll never know the real story
Just a couple of dreams
You get up and sleep
You can buy God
It's Monday
Slither down the greasy pipe
So far so good, no one saw you
Hobble over any freeway
You will be like your dreams tonight

Last edited:
I like This Is Happening, but if I had to do a top 10 combining both albums then maybe I'd include only two out of Dance Yrself Clean, I Can Change and Home. They're not in the same league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom