Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Cigarettes After Sex's album a lot, but they would be a snoozer in an arena.

Same here. I can't imagine they'd be good in concert, but I love to put on their album after getting home from work and starting to cook.

OMG

A band with the dreadful name Cigarettes After Sex is putting us to sleep right now at the Forum.

If you watched towels drying on the line in the back yard, you'd have a more emotional engaging experience. You'd hear a bigger variety of sounds as well.

Holy fuck these guys are boring.

Aren’t they opening for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds? What an odd combo.

I play one of their songs at the end of yoga class to get everyone super chill and relaxed. Can’t imagine seeing them live.
The idea of Martha sitting through a set of this, based on your description, is cracking me up. I don't ever want to hear their music now so I can always have this mental image.

He's touring here again early next year... but it's "conversations with" and a few songs on piano. I am of course still going but I'd stab a child to see TBS again on this tour.

The idea of Martha sitting through a set of this, based on your description, is cracking me up. I don't ever want to hear their music now so I can always have this mental image.

I think it’s just as hilarious to think about if you do know how their music sounds!

Aren’t they opening for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds? What an odd combo.

I wouldn't say that necessarily, since e.g. one of their songs (Each Time You Fall in Love) is very similar to Song for Bob, a beautiful Cave/Ellis track from the amazing The Assassination of Jesse James soundtrack. They're just more akin to the quiet, somber side of Cave's music.

Someone explain to me why I'm seeing the words 'Greta Van Fleet' everywhere.

They got savaged in a P4k review today.

I think they’re Led Zeppelin tryhards, but maybe I’m being rude. Tried listening to their new album, skipped my way through it.

Brothers Jake and Sam Kiszka, on guitar and bass, are both wearing hippie costumes they 3D-printed off the internet. The singer, the wretched and caterwauling third brother, Josh, is in dangly feather earrings and vinyl pants, like he was dressed by a problematic Santa Fe palm-reader with a gift certificate to Chico’s.

:applaud:

Dang, that review. I've only heard a snippet at most of one of the band's songs thus far, so I have no comment on their music one way or another, but that review seems to be pretty well in line with some of the criticism I've read about them elsewhere.

I did get a kick out of this description of one of their songs in the review, though:

Hilariously, Greta Van Fleet combine them into one on “The Cold Wind,” where the narrator (who is dying) begs his “sweet mama” to take the family ox (I guess) to town to sell it, when, mid-ox-transaction, this happens: “The Yankee peddler bargains with you on his way/Whoa sweet mama’s gotten herself a new dress.”

...an ox?

i think people are giving this band a little too much shit this early. yeah they sound like led zeppelin, but they're literally brand new, and loads of the artists we respect and admire here started out aping the sound of their influences before finding their own sound. they're clearly decently-talented musicians. yes the singer sounds just like robert plant, but it's not like he's copying plant's voice to sound like him, that's the guy's natural singing voice.

and gvf is certainly not in jet territory yet, literally playing the music of classic rock hits with different lyrics on top. it remains to be seen whether they'll be a band with decent material that is heavily influenced by led zeppelin, or if they'll just become another led zep copy like wolfmother was. but i think it's too soon to say either way.

for the record ive think what i have heard so far has been decently okay, but nothing spectacular, so it's not like i'm a big fan or anything.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.the...1964-record-for-most-us-top-10-hits-in-a-year

also wtf is this bullshit? how does having one feature verse on someone else's track count as it being "your" song for chart purposes? and that one verse on another artists song holds the exact same weight as an entire self-written and performed song? that makes no sense. fuck this. drake absolutely did not break the beatles record. ghostwriter using motherfucker.

The Pitchfork review of the GVF album did a good job of reminding me how awesome The Darkness was as a band. I need to find their power metal cover of Street Spirit.

Got my hands on a copy of the Best of New Order and found out that I already knew the songs "True Faith" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" but never knew they were by New Order. Both songs are brilliant. This is good.

I don't even really like Greta Van Fleet that much but I really hate Pitchfork. They're parading their 1.6 review of Greta Van Fleet like Donald Trump parades his racism.

By the way, Bilmuri is a phenomenal band. But warning, *gasp* their music has guitars!

The Greta Van Fleet album is passable Zeppelin worship that I'll never listen to again. I'd give it a 5.5-6.0 or something like that.

The Pitchfork review is hilarious and I'm glad they're willing to skewer things again, even if the album isn't especially bad. Most of their reviews lately have featured gutless 6.0-7.5 ratings that are just innocuous enough to prevent them from losing out on future interviews.

I don't hate Greta Van Fleet themselves, I just hate their dad-rocker fans who just can't accept that it's not 70s anymore and music has changed a lot since then

Greta Van Fleet is that band I’ve heard a handful of times, thought “this is not one of the 5 Zeppelin songs they play on the radio it must be someone trying to sound like them,” laughed remembering the video of that person interviewing Mike Patton when he started going off on Wolfmother, and then promptly forget they exist. They’re nowhere near the first or last band to wish they were Zeppelin, only the most recent I guess. Hell, Jack White went through his own phase of that with the Racontuers.

Sure they suck, but I’ve been forced to listen to the radio this week at work because the immature, spoiled girl I’m working with throws a temper tantrum any time I put on anything that isn’t the most generic pseudohipster station. I can think of a few bands that suck a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom