Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going with my gut and not overthinking...my Madonna top ten:

Oh Father
The Power of Goodbye
Burning Up
Love Don’t Live Here Anymore
Bedtime Story
Rescue Me
Something to Remember
Skin
Live to Tell
Everybody

it finally got me to listen to Like a Virgin
holy shit, how had you not listened to it sooner? maybe it's just since i went through a huge madonna phase for about a year when i was 11, though i think i had the cassette when i was even younger than that.

the last album of hers i even bought was bedtime stories, though i haven't listened to anything but the title track in over 20 years (oof) so i can't say whether or not it still holds up.

live to tell is probably my favourite song of hers. i couldn't possibly do a top 10, if only because i feel i'd have to go and listen to every song to be fair. but i'd put rain, papa don't preach, cherish, love don't live here anymore, and maybe bedtime story in such a list. i do actually like her more uptempo stuff, even though this list doesn't seem like it.

New Smashing Pumpkins album title: 'Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun'
Silvery Sometimes is decent. And Solara was damn good live.

Looking forward to hearing the rest. As long as Billy has Jimmy Chamberlin with him, results are usually good.

I don't think I've ever listened to anything the Pumpkins and/or Corgan have done post-Machina. Am I missing anything?

I like exactly two songs: 1979 and Tonight Tonight. They're both great and all other signs point to me not needing anymore in my life. The bloke is a fuckwit.

I like exactly two songs: 1979 and Tonight Tonight. They're both great and all other signs point to me not needing anymore in my life. The bloke is a fuckwit.

Well, there's certainly more than that to like from their 90s output.

Today is a generational touchstone. Disarm is also good.

Ava Adore, Eye, Tear, Perfect from the Adore era.

Stand Inside Your Love is classic too.

I don't think I've ever listened to anything the Pumpkins and/or Corgan have done post-Machina. Am I missing anything?

I really loved the Zwan album. Other than one overlong track, most of the songs are pretty direct with catchy melodies.

Have you ever heard Siamese Dream straight through? Legitimately one of the decade's best albums.

I have owned a copy of Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness for about twenty-two years, and it's got its moments. They were a bit much for me, but the sheer volume of material is bound to throw up some gems.

Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans, is one good pick from that era.

That said, I'm not sure what the point of (The) Smashing Pumpkins is at this stage.

Siamese Dream is an absolutely essential 90s album. Don't let Corgan being a twit keep you from enjoying that masterpiece.

There's decent stuff sprinkled in throughout, but as a whole there's a major step down from the Gish-Machina run. I actually like Oceania quite a bit.

And Cobbler sounds like some tween pop music fan with that take on the Pumpkins' catalog.

I’m partial to Mayonaise myself. Can’t believe there are people here who haven’t heard or given Siamese Dream a chance. I consider it a 90s classic from start to finish.

I’m partial to Mayonaise myself. Can’t believe there are people here who haven’t heard or given Siamese Dream a chance. I consider it a 90s classic from start to finish.

Mayonaise is the band's best song by a pretty comfortable margin. I'll bet it wins most polls on their fans' version of Interference.

Just saw David Byrne last night. What an incredibly inventive, unique and fun show. Nice mix of solo material and Talking Heads songs. There were only a couple of slow moments. But he really used the empty stage and his musicians to his full advantage.

I swear we've had this conversation before: Cobbler saying he only knows two Smashing Pumpkins songs, and everyone else telling him to listen to Siamese Dream.

Last edited:
I have owned a copy of Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness for about twenty-two years, and it's got its moments. They were a bit much for me, but the sheer volume of material is bound to throw up some gems.

Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans, is one good pick from that era.

That said, I'm not sure what the point of (The) Smashing Pumpkins is at this stage.

For a long while I couldn't stand The Smashing Pumpkins for more than 1 or 2 songs at a time. I recognized the songs were great, but couldn't really stand Billy Corgan's voice for any longer than a couple of songs in a row. Only a few years ago I slowly started to dig a bit deeper in their albums. Also because I got some of the singles from the Mellon Collie... era as there were so many B-sides on them. And some of them were pretty good too.
Anyhow, Siamese Dream is a very good album. As is Mellon Collie... though as noted above it is a bit too much. But it certainly has its share of great songs on the 2 CDs.

Don’t know if anyone else is into them, but this new album by The Wombats should easily make my top ten of the year. Fun and consistent from start to finish.

For a long while I couldn't stand The Smashing Pumpkins for more than 1 or 2 songs at a time. I recognized the songs were great, but couldn't really stand Billy Corgan's voice for any longer than a couple of songs in a row. Only a few years ago I slowly started to dig a bit deeper in their albums. Also because I got some of the singles from the Mellon Collie... era as there were so many B-sides on them. And some of them were pretty good too.
Anyhow, Siamese Dream is a very good album. As is Mellon Collie... though as noted above it is a bit too much. But it certainly has its share of great songs on the 2 CDs.

Never been a big fan of Billy Corgan as a singer (he puts me in mind of the old quip about Thom Yorke being an 'unhappy child watching a fireworks display', only for reals).

That said, there was some interesting stuff buried in the deep cuts of Mellon Collie. There's one countryish track just after 1979 where he's almost doing a Mick Jagger impression. Also I did like it when he screamed. Which he did a lot. On that album.

Don’t know if anyone else is into them, but this new album by The Wombats should easily make my top ten of the year. Fun and consistent from start to finish.

I've given it a whirl a few times, but had a hard time getting much out of anything other than Lemon to a Knife Fight. Maybe I need to persist. This Modern Glitch, I often go back to.

They seem to always do festivals in Oz, I reckon I've seen them 3 times without going out of my way to see them.

Does it have that Turn song on it? They were playing that on the radio here a few months ago just about every 20 minutes.

i managed to trick a hot babe into agreeing to marry me :d

IMG_20180909_184035_885.jpg
Congrats, Dave! I look forward to receiving my invitation, and will be disappointed if it's not all in lowercase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom