Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey cobbler, listen to Speedy Ortiz and Waxahatchee, two women-led contemporary indie bands who are pretty vocal about women empowerment issues. Similarly, Neko Case's new album is a good one if your are looking for women's perspectives.

The albums I've listened to mostly this year (and last, I would say) are by women: Janelle Monae, Natalie Prass, Eleanor Friedberger, Speedy Ortiz, Courtney Barnett (which I don't like as much as her previous record), US Girls, Beach House, Frankie Cosmos. I'm sure I'm missing a few. In any case, it's been a great 2-3 years for women artists in my view.

Waxahatchee is a cool Philly artist, regularly pops up at different shows around here. She was just on stage with Snail Mail at the show I saw a few weeks back.

More thoughts on Homogenic, Cobbler?

I thoroughly enjoyed my first listen through. It's kind of weird to compare it to Debut given I've only heard that album twice but it seemed even more up my alley. And unlike Debut I couldn't identify any flat spots. Better singing, better beats, more cohesive mood. I'm now gonna try and track down a vinyl copy of Homogenic.

Hey cobbler, listen to Speedy Ortiz and Waxahatchee, two women-led contemporary indie bands who are pretty vocal about women empowerment issues. Similarly, Neko Case's new album is a good one if your are looking for women's perspectives.

The albums I've listened to mostly this year (and last, I would say) are by women: Janelle Monae, Natalie Prass, Eleanor Friedberger, Speedy Ortiz, Courtney Barnett (which I don't like as much as her previous record), US Girls, Beach House, Frankie Cosmos. I'm sure I'm missing a few. In any case, it's been a great 2-3 years for women artists in my view.

I quite like Waxahatchee, yeah. I've never listened to Speedy Ortiz, will give that a shot. I follow Neko Case on Twitter and she seems great, so will try her out too.

It has been - I'd add Ali Barter and Kardajala Kirridarra and Jen Cloher to that list. I don't much dig the Courtney Barnett record sadly. But Gump, please listen to Jen Cloher's most recent, I think it's self-titled. It's fucking fantastic.

Axver:

tenor.gif

Just picked up Homogenic on vinyl and it has lyrics which is dope but didn't have a download card!!! Cost me like $30+. Anyone got one they'd care to share with me lol

Movin' to the country;
Gonna eat a lot of peaches.
Movin' to the country;
Gonna eat me a lot of peaches.

So I’m at a work party with an open bar and a drunk girl just gave me a cigarette under the condition that I would sing Defying Gravity with her. I will never understand why drunk IWB insists on singing the most lyrically complicated songs I know, but I want you all to know that I kill My Shot from Hamilton, regardless of alcohol consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom