Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey LM, how's this for a Kenny setlist.......

[Every N*gger is a Star]
[Eric Bolling, Kimberly Guilfoyle & Geraldo Rivera Fox News segment]

1. DNA.
2. HUMBLE.
3. Backseat Freestyle
4. m.A.A.d city
5. King Kunta
6. Fuckin’ Problems
7. Collard Greens
8. XXX.
9. Fuck Your Ethnicity
10. untitled 05
11. These Walls
12. LUST.
13. FEEL.
14. u
15. FEAR.
16. How Much a Dollar Cost
17. The Blacker The Berry
18. Mortal Man
19. Never Catch Me

20. The Spiteful Chant
21. Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe
22. Money Trees
23. Swimming Pools (Drank)
24. PRIDE.
25. i

26. All the Stars
27. Rigamortis
28. untitled 03
29. Alright

To Pimp a Butterfly (8)
DAMN. (7)
good kid, m.A.A.d city (5)
Covers (4)
Section.80 (3)
untitled. unmastered. (2)

Feels like a good flow, hugely energetic first 20 minutes before it starts to tap into the more serious / scary side, huge conclusion to the main set, a full Mortal Man including video of the Tupac interview, then Kendrick reading the poem with the stadium cutting to darkness after the final "PAC?!" and then Never Catch Me to bring the whole theme of death full circle, with wacky visuals and strobe lighting so it feels like a natural progression rather than taped on to the end of the set. Full horn section doing The Spiteful Chant then the slew of slower megahits from GKMC followed by the guitar-led Pride which leads itself well into i, which closes the first encore. Then just a banging, really upbeat and positive second encore, with the crowd starting off Alright with the chant. reckon this would be pretty dope.

:up:

Laz, have you heard the new Stephen Malkmus yet?

Yes, I'm enjoying it. I don't know if it's any kind of leap forward from Jagbags in terms of overall consistency or number of great tracks. It's a little more polished, and closer to Mirror Traffic in that regard.

I'm also not getting Middle America as some kind of new SM classic. Not even close.

Standouts for me at the moment are Kite (sadly the only real guitar solo on the album), Shiggy, Bike Lane, Future Suite, and Difficulties/Let Them Eat Vowels.

Kim Gordon can't sing country.

If I had to:

1. Real Emotional Trash
2. Pig Lib

3. S/T
4. Wig Out At Jagbags

5. Sparkle Hard
6. Mirror Traffic/Face the Truth

Keep in mind I still consider those last two to be good albums.

Last edited:
I would adore that Kendrick set, Cobbs, but the long run of tracks from Untitled 5 to How Much a Dollar Cost would bore the fuck out of most audiences. Huge momentum killer there, as great as those songs are. I think part of the issue is that there are too many bangers too early; Humble and Maad City could be used to boost energy later in the set. Rigamortis seems like a great encore opener, so I would shift that up a bit. Otherwise, definitely looks good. I love the idea of Kendrick doing Never Catch Me.

Also, Sparkle Hard is much better than Jagbags IMO.

I am disappointed in Laz's opinion. Sparkle Hard is probably my favorite thing Malkmus has done since Pavement.

I would adore that Kendrick set, Cobbs, but the long run of tracks from Untitled 5 to How Much a Dollar Cost would bore the fuck out of most audiences. Huge momentum killer there, as great as those songs are. I think part of the issue is that there are too many bangers too early; Humble and Maad City could be used to boost energy later in the set. Rigamortis seems like a great encore opener, so I would shift that up a bit. Otherwise, definitely looks good. I love the idea of Kendrick doing Never Catch Me.

Yeah that's my main concern with it too :( but I mean surely it would still be captivating for the big music fans? Or do you think the vibe goes down too much?

I mean Outkast were doing Storyellin / Aquemini / SpottieOttie which is kind of similarish...

Gosh Em (my partner) is a wonder. She bought me the super uber mega deluxe JT box set for my birthday. She even went through this forum to find the thread about it in EYKIW and see what I'd said about it before she bought it :love:

Christ I'm surprised she's still with you after wading into this cesspit.

giphy.gif

"Why do they keep saying 'Friggin Cobbler' and 'Donko'?"

omg THE coolest thing has happened. so I'm in Sufjan Stevens Feelsposting, a popular group for people who love the Suf. HIS BROTHER MARZUKI JOINED THE GROUP AND HE POSTS AND HE COMMENTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom