Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent a long-ass response about DAMN, so I won't do it here (I love the album and would at the very least place it over S80, which has not aged well for me), but I will say that Kendrick's current tour is a weird Frankenstein of a few different tours that probably wouldn't flow that well. I mean, he's touring a soundtrack and TDE as a whole. It's only somewhat about him at this point.

I'd likely have enjoyed it a lot more if I felt a thematic flow to it.

I just came up with a bank of Kendrick tracks to make a setlist from and I've got 44 songs on there haha fuck. Gonna make a setlist a little later this arvo.

S80 is an odd one. Because on the one hand you can really hear the difference in quality between that and gkmc just in terms of guests he could get on there and it just feels a little immature at times, but then on the other hand I think, pound-for-pound, it might have the best collection of beats of any Kendrick record.

Earlier today.

37052663_10156293945390734_8357123909740396544_n.jpg

Stipe looks like an art teacher.

I don't often get hip-hop tracks stuck in my head, but there are several from Damn that will. That combined with the more micro-level lyricism, reflecting an internal journey and series of conflicts, are the selling points for me. I don't know how to write articulately about hip-hop so I'll just leave it at that.

The one time I listened to Section 80 my thought was that the jump in quality from it to Good Kid is among the most dramatic of any artist between debut and sophomore albums.

I don't often get hip-hop tracks stuck in my head, but there are several from Damn that will. That combined with the more micro-level lyricism, reflecting an internal journey and series of conflicts, are the selling points for me. I don't know how to write articulately about hip-hop so I'll just leave it at that.

The one time I listened to Section 80 my thought was that the jump in quality from it to Good Kid is among the most dramatic of any artist between debut and sophomore albums.

If you cut Section 80 down to this track listing it would be a classic:

1. Fuck Your Ethnicity
2. Hol Up
3. ADHD
4. Ronald Reagan Era
5. Poe Mans Dream
6. Keisha's Song
7. Rigamortus
8. Kush & Corinthians
9. Ab Soul's Outro
10. HiiiPower

Everything I left out is meh or outright poor to Kendrick standards. Those tracks are pretty much all worse than anything on DAMN. But the highs are incredible.

If you cut Section 80 down to this track listing it would be a classic:

1. Fuck Your Ethnicity
2. Hol Up
3. ADHD
4. Ronald Reagan Era
5. Poe Mans Dream
6. Keisha's Song
7. Rigamortus
8. Kush & Corinthians
9. Ab Soul's Outro
10. HiiiPower

Everything I left out is meh or outright poor to Kendrick standards. Those tracks are pretty much all worse than anything on DAMN. But the highs are incredible.

i agree with this cut of section 80 except i would keep blow my high. i dig the late-90s vibe of that track.

i skipped the TDE tour when it came here because it was the exact same setlist (other than a few covers being changed and king's dead being done instead of pride). literally right down to doing the "crowd raps verse 2 of humble while kendrick pretends to be amazed that they know the words" bit. it wasn't the best setlist but it was my first time seeing him live and i had a blast. when they announced the tour i figured of course i'd get a ticket because i'd get to see some other kendrick songs. but there's no variety in his own material, and i couldn't care less to hear kendrick do one verse of a rich the kid song i've never heard before instead of one verse of mask off.

that and the other thing that really irritated me about this tour when i heard about it was that they do no collaborations besides jay rock coming out to do his verse on money trees. i don't expect them to do say wassup or something that old but how badass would it be for the final number of the show to have all four black hippy members come out and do vice city? or even for schoolboy q to come out and do the "yawk yawk yawk yawk" bit on m.a.a.d. city live? kendrick doing collard greens with schoolboy during q's set? all of these would have been worth the price of admission alone, and none of this happened.

after i found out about all this on reddit i ended up not buying a ticket, and since the semi-outdoor amphitheatre is only about a 10 minute walk away from my house, my girlfriend and i took a walk down and sat just outside the grounds with a couple joints and beers and listened to all of jay rock's and schoolboy q's sets for free, at a nice secluded spot on a lakeside hill under a tree by the fence where the sound carries out perfectly. that's my new spot this summer for listening to shows i don't care about enough to pay for :up:

Last edited:
Oh man, really? That's very disappointing and quite surprising. Why get them all in the same place and then not feature on each other's tracks?

Couple more things that have come to mind in this discussion. 1) LM, obviously you're a huge fan now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you a big skeptic of Kendrick after GKMC came out? I distinctly remember you knocking his "alien" vocals and the content of Backseat Freestyle (although this might mostly have been Ashley laughing at the ridiculousness of it :lol: ), and I was defending both. I could definitely be wrong, have the wrong person, but that's how I remember it.

2) The reason I don't hold GKMC up to be quite the classic a lot of others do is because it extends beyond its natural ending. Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst is incredible and the record should end there. It does itself a great disservice by going on for another 15 or so minutes. Real is okay but inessential and Compton is enjoyable but doesn't remotely fit the vibe. My CD version also has another three tracks which are apparently not part of the album proper but they don't add anything either. You cut GKMC off after Dying of Thirst and it's not a 10/10, because Poetic Justice (fuck, Drake really just does ruin everything) and good kid don't do a huge amount for me, but fuck me dead it's very close to perfect and all ties up well thematically.

I had issues with Kendrick's vocals for a minute, but NOT the content of Backseat Freestyle. I thought that shit was hilarious, always have.

I've heard the complaints about GKMC going on too long, and while Sing About Me is my favorite song of the entire decade (you can quote me on this next year), I think Real has a lot of good things to say and simply it wears out its welcome with a poor hook and protracted outro. It's not a waste of time thematically. In fact, some of the best lines of the album are embedded in there.

Compton I straight up love and feel works as a song to play over, say, a film's end credits. It's so fun and Just Blaze kills that beat. Is it necessary? No. You could end the album with either of the two previous tracks and it would work fine, but Compton is a great high to go out on.

Last edited:
I think the dude is about the smartest artist out there today. Now I reckon I've liked less than 1% of songs he's put out or been featured on. Off the top of my head there's Passionfruit (on which he is replaceable, the beat is the winner), Fuckin' Problems (best verse of the three) and Hold On We're Going Home. I guess maybe you can include The Real Her (but only because it has a Three Stacks verse). I think he's actively made really good songs worse - Rihanna has lost out on two separate occasions (What's My Name, Work). I don't hear anything in his vocals that makes him anything close to as good a Frank Ocean or an Abel Tesfaye. Fuck, even Usher and Craig David did better, for a longer period of time, what Drake does.

But I think he's fucking smart as fuck. No one in music markets themselves better than Drake does. No one remotely understands memes or internet culture like Drake does. He reads trends before they happen and he puts out extremely popular songs - in the down time in between other big artists' releases - that capture the zeitgeist and become megahits. And in those songs he plays a relatively small part. Take Hotline Bling. He teased it and promoted it through social media like Instagram and Snapchat. The artwork ripped off a meme that was popular at the time. The video was choreographed in a way that it could be meme'd itself (I still see memes ref'ing that video at least once a week). And then the song itself is just a masterclass in what he does well - it's a poppy, inoffensive song that is accessible to the masses and also contains enough hooks in the video and the lyrics and the promotion of it that it could be latched onto for pop culture purposes.

So whilst I've never really liked him, I think he's a fucking genius in what he does and I respect the hell out of him.

the drake stans in toronto are basically intolerable because they don't listen to anything else and think that drake is the greatest torontonian ever and the sole reason why anybody has ever heard of this city. to me drake is nothing more than the background street music i hear bumping out of a thousand car windows, but i have to respect how good he is at putting himself on the cutting edge of trends again and again.

That question of mine sounded snarky but I didn’t mean it as such. I think the only song I know off the top of my head that even features Drake is Work.

Drake is generally smart, but no genius would get tangled up with Pusha T the way he did. What an idiot for getting baited like that.

Da Art of Storytellin, pt 1 has been my favourite hip-hop song for nearly a decade, but How Much a Dollar Cost makes a serious case. The haunting lead-in from Hood Politics, the LoveDragon beat that sounds like Pyramid Song, the sheer amount of instrumentation on the track, James Fauntleroy's watery adlibs that break up the verses, Ronald Isley's heartbreaking coda... and then just the journey that Kendrick goes on in the song, constantly fighting between arrogant selfishness and a reminder of the ghostly intangible. I don't believe in god, far less do I believe that god could embody a homeless South African man to teach a rich man a lesson, and yet I still can't listen to the song without the hairs on my neck standing up as Kendrick reaches the final lines. Simply incredible.

Yep, that's a great one.

Momma has gone from being one of my least favorite tracks on TPAB to being one of the most comforting and replayable. That beat is what happiness sounds like. I also love the knowing, self-deprecating lyrical content and that wild turn the outro takes.

The PF review of the new Dirty Proj has me pretty hopeful. We can argue whether it’s desperate or not for Longstreth to reference the Bitte Orca color scheme and design on its album cover, but I ain’t mad about going back in that sonic direction.

Yep, that's a great one.

Momma has gone from being one of my least favorite tracks on TPAB to being one of the most comforting and replayable. That beat is what happiness sounds like. I also love the knowing, self-deprecating lyrical content and that wild turn the outro takes.

Yeah I really love Momma as well. I'm not sure how you ever didn't love it!

I've been on a Kendrick kick since the gig and the conclusion I've come away with is that if I were to try and redo my top 10 albums or whatever, this record would absolutely be in there. It speaks to me on so many fucking levels. The production is phenomenal. I've seen it catch some heat from more... shall we say 'elementary' hip-hop fans because it's all jazzy rather than phat beats, but it's just so up my fucking alley, from the rabid funk of Wesley's Theory to the jazz fusion of For Free to the free-form supporting role jazz of the 'skits' like the end of Mortal Man. It has a very cohesive theme that is still easily grasped by someone who has had the privilege of growing up white and middle-class in Australia. Kendrick is rarely boastful, and when he is, it's either earned or it's a more meta examination of his status as a superstar when looking back on what he's come from. The samples are top-notch - Every N*gger is a Star, All for Myself to name a couple - the production combined with the full-band sound lend the record a liveliness that I'm not sure any other hip-hop album I've ever heard can compare to. It is willing to deepdive into themes that have been traditionally shunned by hip-hop - see u and i. It takes the fucking incredible single version of i, makes it a live performance and cuts it off halfway through for a message. What other album promotes itself with a massive single and then completely changes that single on the actual album?

How Much a Dollar Cost, The Blacker The Berry and Mortal Man all fill me with huge emotion. Just this morning I was walking into the office as the final few minutes of Mortal Man wound up. You have that incredible 'conversation' between Tupac and Kendrick, and then Kendrick reads his friend's poem - which, due to some new stuff I'm doing in my life, has resonated with me on a new, deeper level. The caterpillar who wants to be a butterfly, but is hamstrung by a culture and ideological and social norms that state a black man is weak if he becomes the butterfly, who is in touch with his emotions, and so pimps the butterfly for his own benefit and poisons it from the inside out. It's beautiful, heartbreaking stuff. And then as he's reading that you've got head-spinning, swirling horns that swell and swell until they reach the crescendo as Kendrick asks, with ever more increasing alarm and panic, for Pac. It fucking made me cry at 9am on a Tuesday morning right in the middle of the city.

It's just so fucking good. So good. A masterpiece in every sense of the word. One of only four records I can think of this decade that I'd give a 10/10.

Thank you guys for getting me to relisten to Portishead for the first time in ages. I forgot how much I enjoy their music, and relaized just how woefully unfamiliar with most of it I am.

Gosh Em (my partner) is a wonder. She bought me the super uber mega deluxe JT box set for my birthday. She even went through this forum to find the thread about it in EYKIW and see what I'd said about it before she bought it :love:

Gosh Em (my partner) is a wonder. She bought me the super uber mega deluxe JT box set for my birthday. She even went through this forum to find the thread about it in EYKIW and see what I'd said about it before she bought it :love:

:up:

Laz, have you heard the new Stephen Malkmus yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom