Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8.8 and BNM for the new Kamasi Washington. If they're saying it's better than The Epic, I am definitely intrigued.

I got through most of it last night (it’s nearly as long as The Epic) and it’s wonderful. Live vocals, quite funky at times, look forward to buying it.

I'm not all that into this kind of shiznit, and even I thought it was quite enjoyable. Also, if you go to a Starbucks any time soon, you'll likely hear this album.

So listened to Quadrophenia for the first time in a while.

It has been one of my top five albums for nearly a decade now I reckon. And it still is. I was thrilled to listen and realise that I still know all the words by heart. Absolutely, without any shred of doubt, The Who's high watermark. Some of the repetition can get a little much, but obviously it's all part of the theme/story.

The second disc is almost complete and utter perfection. I'm not sure there's many, if any, better 40-minute collections of music than side two of Quadrophenia. 5:15, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy, The Rock and Love Reign O'er Me would be my favourite five songs on the album. Just absolutely fucking thrilling.

I know we've got a few other lovers here, so shout out!

Well it's definitely better than Tommy. As for being their best, I'd probably still go with Who's Next, which just has a stronger collection of great, memorable tunes. I really admire the ambition (musically and lyrically) of Quadrophenia though.

The second disc is almost complete and utter perfection. I'm not sure there's many, if any, better 40-minute collections of music than side two of Quadrophenia. 5:15, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy, The Rock and Love Reign O'er Me would be my favourite five songs on the album. Just absolutely fucking thrilling.

Yes to all this.

I miss the early Mack_Again days when you posted stuff other than this cynical, self-described "shit posting."

We were all so much more innocent then. Sorry we broke you, Mack.

im not saying he's bad, but somehow all kinds of alt-rock oriented publications which never talked about jazz all that much suddenly started talking about him and praising him like second coming of Coltrane or something. again, I'm not saying he is a bad musician, its just that I believe the hype is just too much

So listened to Quadrophenia for the first time in a while.

It has been one of my top five albums for nearly a decade now I reckon. And it still is. I was thrilled to listen and realise that I still know all the words by heart. Absolutely, without any shred of doubt, The Who's high watermark. Some of the repetition can get a little much, but obviously it's all part of the theme/story.

One of my all time favorite albums.

I'm not sure there's many, if any, better 40-minute collections of music than side two of Quadrophenia. 5:15, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy, The Rock and Love Reign O'er Me would be my favourite five songs on the album. Just absolutely fucking thrilling.

That would be sides 3 & 4 of Quadrophenia.

Well it's definitely better than Tommy. As for being their best, I'd probably still go with Who's Next, which just has a stronger collection of great, memorable tunes. I really admire the ambition (musically and lyrically) of Quadrophenia though.

This. It's one of the best albums ever. But I do like Quadrophenia as well.

praising him like second coming of Coltrane or something.

Cause he is.

Dude is a massive talent, breath of fresh air in the genre, and breaking ground all the time. He absolutely deserves to be praised as highly as he is. We can't live in the past and act like another Jazz great will ever emerge.

I don't necessarily think he's breaking any ground in the fusion/spiritual jazz scene that the Coltranes helped carve out, but he's damn good at it and always delivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom