Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Travis can even attest to me laughing in disbelief when I saw Fosters in LA.

you guys really need to get some new material other than "foster's lol" for every time someone mentions australia.

The new Eleanor Fried Burger album, Rebound, is quite nice. I find it really hard to rate her albums as she is so consistent. In Rebound, the songs are perhaps less immediate than in her earlier efforts, other than the Everything/In Between Stars duo. The so-called change towards an 80s pop influence pointed out by critics (and Eleanor herself when I saw her a few months ago) is somewhat overrated. Other that some tangential sounds and influences here and there, there is no major departure. It is a shame that she remains so invisible from the critical eye - even her 8.1 Pitchfork review seems to have gone unnoticed.

Note sure if anyone other than u2popmofo is still following her.

The new Eleanor Fried Burger album, Rebound, is quite nice. I find it really hard to rate her albums as she is so consistent. In Rebound, the songs are perhaps less immediate than in her earlier efforts, other than the Everything/In Between Stars duo. The so-called change towards an 80s pop influence pointed out by critics (and Eleanor herself when I saw her a few months ago) is somewhat overrated. Other that some tangential sounds and influences here and there, there is no major departure. It is a shame that she remains so invisible from the critical eye - even her 8.1 Pitchfork review seems to have gone unnoticed.

Note sure if anyone other than u2popmofo is still following her.

:up:

Imperor likes it too.

that joke got real tired around 1986, but you do you.

:up:

Though I kinda think the Australians deserve it. They keep making the same sheep jokes about New Zealand, despite the fact that hasn't been relevant for about the same length of time.

now that i work with a dozen aussies it's clear that there are about 1000 funnier and easier things to mock those weirdos over that are real things you do and not lazy 40 year old "prawns on the barbie" cliches and "mis-quote from crocodile dundee with a fake accent" kind of stuff over and over. baby-eating dingoes however are always acceptable.

if we want to make fun of australians let's mock the fact that the stupidest looking birds on the planet beat them in a modern war where australia had machine guns and airplanes, not that the beer equivalent of outback steakhouse sucks.

Last edited:
Should've just let Western Australia secede when they tried. Would've been too easy to claim it back. If they couldn't beat some emus they wouldn't have beaten an invading Australian army either.

Should've just let Western Australia secede when they tried. Would've been too easy to claim it back. If they couldn't beat some emus they wouldn't have beaten an invading Australian army either.

I was not aware of this "emu war" but it has immediately become one of my favorite historical anecdotes.

Fun fact about Australia: we averted a deep recession after the 2008 crash, as then prime minister Kevin Rudd set the entire population in full time employment on a make-work scheme to build his giant mile-high prime ministerial pyramid and library in the outback.

Some call it a white elephant, but it is bigger than the pyramids of Giza.

Shame about the white ants that Julia Gillard released on site though.

Tony Abbott has a bold proposal to replace it with a mile-high coal mound.

Barnaby's son will be placed in charge. Jobs for the boys yieewwww.

Do you think Barnaby eats weatherboard and iron for breakfast

What the hell is up with the RYM score for the new CHVRCHES album? Thing is super fun, and in the exact same vein as their first two albums. Can't understand what would warrant such a hugely negative response.

Agreed, someone even compared it to the new Shawn Mendes album. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom