Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lover of Mine, Norway, Wild, Myth and Sparks are my favorites.

Master of None is climbing though.

Last edited:
There's a new Fischerspooner album out today, produced by Michael Stipe of all people.
Sounds good so far.

A dark horse for the Beach House pantheon is You Came to Me. Devotion is such a tremendous album.

Also Silver Soul is among their best.

Depression Cherry got hate for sounding like Beach House, which is the dumbest shit in the world. That album is fantastic.

Beach House should keep sounding like Beach House forever. Victoria is so great she could read transcripts of FYM arguments and make them sound good.

Beach House should keep sounding like Beach House forever. Victoria is so great she could read transcripts of FYM arguments and make them sound good.

I now demand a Beach House album that's literally nothing but FYM arguments, with a bonus track from the "Larry's gonna retire!" rumours horseshit thread.

"Int'l Players Anthem" is one of the greatest songs ever. How's that fucking opening verse from Three Stacks.

"I apologise if this message gets you down / then cc'd every girl that I'd see-see round town"

As if I didn’t already feel old going to this Veruca Salt show, the all-90s pre-show playlist certainly isn’t assuaging it.

Liz Phair, Guided By Voices, Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr, etc.

On the positive side, there’s no opening act and the band is set to come on at 9.

This new place The Lodge Room in Highland Park is pretty cool too, for any LA peeps thinking of coming to a show here.

Last edited:
:angry:

The band didn't actually walk out until 9:30 (despite what the sheet on the walls said), to the chagrin of my legs, but I also got to hear some Pavement (Trigger Cut) and That Dog in the meantime.

Surprisingly they played just shy of two hours, a considerably long set. They're about to embark on a tour of Australia, so this was a "warm-up show" where they were trying to figure out what to play on it. There was a lot of focus on the second album Eight Arms To Hold You, which just turned 20 last year, and we heard seven songs from it. Also was nice to hear a couple songs from their rare first EP, an unreleased track, and a couple they hadn't played since the late 90s. Band was in fine form.

Oh yeah, so they were pointing out friends or longtime fans in the audience, and were wondering who had traveled the farthest for the show. One person said South America and got a big response. Then someone close to the front said they had come from Australia, and the bassist just dryly muttered, "Uhh, we're going to be there next week." I think that maybe sums up Australia in a nutshell.

And I’m reminded
Of the time that I was blinded by the sun
It was a welcome change
From the sight of you hanging like a willow off the arm of yet another visionary
profitous, East Van
punk.

I'm thinking of joining. Do you like it? The "unlimited swaps" feature seems quite nice.

I think it's great. They have a good amount of exclusives, and their record of the month spans a lot of genres. They did an exclusive of Miles Davis' Sorcerer a few months back that was amazing.

I saw that version of Sorcerer on their website, it looked awesome. I'm sold - will subscribe for three months and see how it goes.

We're not even through February and there are already a bunch of 2018 releases that I'm really into:

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (Face to Face)
Hookworms - Microshift
MGMT - Little Dark Age
Jeff Rosenstock - POST-
U.S. Girls - In a Poem Unlimited
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Jonny Greenwood - Phantom Thread
No Age - Snares Like a Haircut
The Go! Team - Semicircle
Natalia Lafourcade - Musas Vol. 2
Various Artists - Black Panther
Shame - Songs of Praise
Kero Kero Bonito - TOTEP
Ravyn Lenae - Crush

Twin Fantasy is running away with it right now though. What a fantastic album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom