Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God Bless her and her family. She is a great singer. The Cranberries were an awesome band. I got to see them live in 2002. Joe O'Herlihy was doing the sound for them on that tour.

It should be noted that she either solely wrote or co-wrote all the band’s songs. Some of their best, including Zombie, Waltzing Back, Daffodil Lament, Dreaming My Dreams are hers alone.

What a talent.

Definitely a bummer, I listened to them a ton in the mid ‘90’s. Felt like everyone I knew in high school owned their first two albums.

Very sad ☹️ When I was a kid, her beautiful voice felt like it was dominating TripleM, the local (and very masculine) rock station in Melbourne. But The Cranberries almost took over that station in 95-96. Salvation, Free to Decide, Zombie, Linger, Ode to my Family were all on regular airplay. It takes a very special voice to be able to do that.

I have the Stars compilation that was released about 15 years ago. O'Riordan was such a talent. Such a stunning, soothing vocalist, who could also belt out a rocker.

Awful news. :( She was terrific and her first two albums (with The Cranberries) are classics.

Very sad to hear about Dolores O'Riordan. My favorite Cranberries song is Ridiculous Thoughts, but she wrote so many great ones.

I remember reading a long time ago that anxiety made her take a step back from performing and engaging with the music business. The fact that she was willing to take care of herself when so many people will do anything for their fame made me respect her even more.

I recommend digging into dub and dancehall by the likes of Horace Andy because these scenes have had such a strong influence on the last 10 years of music and much of the best stuff is very good. Roots reggae/dub/dancehall aren't great LP genres and are often best represented by compilations except in the case of absolute legends and some one-off standouts, but they're worth exploring nonetheless.

I'm in Wellington at the moment and The Cranberries are one of those bands I associate with weekends with my dad in this city as a child. He was still keeping up with new music then, and "Zombie" was inescapable - in the cars, cafes, attractions that he took me to. Can't believe O'Riordan was just 46.

How was it?! I was half tempted

Always adored Up the Down Escalator. Only listened to the album once but never persevered. Should have

It was excellent. They killed it, and did basically all of my favourites; Mad Jack and The Fan and the Bellows were my only favourites that they didn't do, and I had no idea Singing Rule Britannia (While the Walls Close In) was so popular. Starting with Don't Fall, complete with the sample, was perfect. There was a big shouting contest at the start of the encore between those who wanted Swamp Thing and those, like me, who wanted Nostalgia, and in the end we got both, which was great because I love Swamp Thing too.

Tomorrow night I get to see Neil and Liam Finn play a tiny hall in my little hometown north of Wellington, on my birthday. Crazy timing. Glad I could be in New Zealand this week.

I think they originally went by "Chameleons UK" in the states if memory serves.

Edit: Or I may be thinking of Charlatans UK.

#alsotoolazytogoogle.

You're right. I'm mixed up. I can't recall the reason for why they were touring with vox at the end of the name. There was one though, because I remember looking it up.

You're both right - both The Chameleons and The Charlatans put UK at the end of their name when in the US. ChameleonsVox is used because it's just Mark Burgess, none of the other original members (which, by emphasising him as the vocalist, undersells the fact that his bass is also really important to their sound). I think these are the first gigs under the old Chameleons moniker since about 2008 or 2009; I suppose the Aussie promoter thought it'd sell better and talked Burgess into it.

Ah, The Charlatans, now that's a band who deserve a bit of love. Few bands have made the keyboard sound so good in my opinion.

You're both right - both The Chameleons and The Charlatans put UK at the end of their name when in the US. ChameleonsVox is used because it's just Mark Burgess, none of the other original members (which, by emphasising him as the vocalist, undersells the fact that his bass is also really important to their sound). I think these are the first gigs under the old Chameleons moniker since about 2008 or 2009; I suppose the Aussie promoter thought it'd sell better and talked Burgess into it.

“ChameleonsVox”, looks like someone is paying homage to Bono!!!!1!!1!

“ChameleonsVox”, looks like someone is paying homage to Bono!!!!1!!1!

A band of talented lizards playing U2 covers

6850bf1fb52003a324834eab71ae2c5a.jpg

highlight of the show is Satellite of Love

It's like the "eat this entire spoonful of cinnamon " challenge from a few years back, except 800 times dumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom