Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Childish Gambino song This is America is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time

FYF Fest has been canceled this year due to low ticket sales. Excuse me for a moment while I gloat, but seriously, get fucked, fest. After all of the scandal, even with new showrunners, to have the audacity to charge MORE for the fest for one less day was hilarious. It was more expensive for a single-day to FYF than a single day to Lollapalooza.

Get.

Fucked.

I'd like to clarify something in my earlier post: If you are someone who really wanted to go to FYF or had tickets, I legitimately do feel bad for you. You did nothing wrong and this sucks. I hope that the shows they are planning to schedule will involve a great many of the bands that were going to be at FYF and will work out that you can still have a great time. My ire was solely aimed at the show-runners.

Pissed off because I loved that lineup and was waiting to get aftermarket tickets for cheap. Just give me a standalone MBV show and I'll get over it.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs played such a great show last night and now I'm sitting here blasting Show Your Bones. Falling in love with this band all over again. Please get back together and make new music (that's better than Mosquito).

Yeah, stand-alone MBV show is my big hope, as well, obviously.

That Yeah Yeah Yeahs/LCD Soundsystem show was probably the best double-billing I've ever seen. Travis asked me if I could think of a better one, and I've been trying to come up with anything comparable since last night. The best I can do is Muse/U2 in Dallas on the 360 tour. That was really good, too. Beck/U2 as well. Nothing else sticks out in my memory, though.

The only time I saw LCD was when they opened for Arcade Fire in 2007, so I may have you beat there.

It was for Sound of Silver so you probably got a better set list with them.

Another double bill contender for me would be Blur and Pulp in 1994, or Bob Dylan and Van Morrison circa 1996 if memory serves.

ETA: Gotta throw Radiohead and Spiritualized on there during the OK Computer tour.

I’ll stop now.

Last edited:
I didn't like LCD before This Is Happening, outside of two or three songs, so I got basically the perfect setlist last night. It's my second time seeing them, and they were great both times, don't get me wrong. All of their stuff translates live.

And damn those double-billings are awesome, Laz.

Ah, I thought of one: Kendrick Lamar on the GKMC tour opening for Kanye on the Yeezus tour. I still can't believe that happened.

Ah, I thought of one: Kendrick Lamar on the GKMC tour opening for Kanye on the Yeezus tour. I still can't believe that happened.

Forgot about that. I wish I had liked him more before TPAB, because I definitely slept through his entire set and really did not appreciate how awesome it was that we were seeing that.

That Kendrick/Kanye double bill was so good. My friend and I went to see Kendrick and considered Kanye the bonus part of the show.

Also adding my approval to the new DJ Koze album. It reminds me of something I used to listen to as a kid, but I have no idea what. Super good though, especially on my best pair of headphones.

Have you previously murdered me for my hot take on How to Make Gravy?

Well if you haven't, now's your chance: Paul Kelly has plenty of great songs, but How to Make Gravy is not one of them.

To Her Door remains my favourite Paul Kelly song, followed closely by Maralinga. Oh shit, and also Give In To My Love. That's three. And admittedly, none of them are How To Make Gravy (which is fine and stuff, just not a favourite).

To Her Door, Leaps & Bounds, Deeper Water, and Before Too Long comprise my Paul Kelly Rushmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom