Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate how sometimes I get really high on records and then I just forget about them for ages. Listening to TLOP right now and family it remains fucking stellar. Kanye is a fucking king.

God you know this place has truly become a graveyard when the big music news hasn’t been posted and it’s close to 7pm Eastern time.

Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham

The truly shocking thing isn’t Buckingham’s departure, but that fact that Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are taking his place in F-Mac. Like I don’t know whether to be intrigued or depressed. Finn has his own considerable legacy and shouldn’t be reduced to this, even if it means making new music with some talented collaborators.

I just found out. It's massive news. I cannot fucking believe it. I cannot wrap my head around it. It's so odd that it really just feels like a late April fools. I can't even think about the music side of it yet, it's just so, so, so strange

I mean are they going to have Finn singing his parts or just omit all the songs where he sings lead from the set?

Either way...hard pass.

Lindsey's been replaced by two, not just Finn but Mike Campbell from Tom Petty's band, too. I don't know the Heartbreakers, does Campbell sing?

Also, he just did an album with Christine McVie... so unless they had a major falling out, it's even more weird, because she remains in the band. So unless there was some friction with Mick or Stevie?

Lindsey's also got a harder edge than Finn, so it doesn't even really seem to be the right fit. Finn is perfect for all the power pop numbers, like Little Lies, but stuff like The Chain, Tusk...

It's just so strange.

Finn is perfect for all the power pop numbers, like Little Lies, but stuff like The Chain, Tusk...

I could maybe see Finn doing some good stuff with "The Chain", perhaps. He does have a few rockers in his musical history, so...

(I would totally listen to his version of "Little Lies" now, though, so thank you for putting that thought in my head.)

Anywho. Yeah. Wow. This is very strange news indeed. Good choice of musicians in and of themselves, but yeah, it'll be very interesting to see if and how they fit in with the band's general sound.

Yeah I mean not to rag on Neil, who I love, and I'm sure he'd do a wicked job on guitar cos he's that good. But he's just such a different vocalist to Lindsey.

Fucking hell Neil.

At a time when he's been so busy pumping out new music as well. I was starting to think he might even get Crowded House together for another spin! Guess that's not happening any time soon.

Fucking hell Neil.

At a time when he's been so busy pumping out new music as well. I was starting to think he might even get Crowded House together for another spin! Guess that's not happening any time soon.
Yeah I left the Neil and Liam gig just wishing I was at a full Crowded House show rather than a watered down preview.

Have tickets already been sold? If so, the band owes its paying customers more of an explanation than "Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution". Even if tickets haven't already been sold, it's still a total evasion.

Some places say it was over a disagreement about the tour, but that's very vague. I can't imagine what disagreement would be so big that they(they? Is it a band decision or does Mick have the power to call the shots?) felt he needed to go.

Have tickets already been sold? If so, the band owes its paying customers more of an explanation than "Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution". Even if tickets haven't already been sold, it's still a total evasion.

Some places say it was over a disagreement about the tour, but that's very vague. I can't imagine what disagreement would be so big that they(they? Is it a band decision or does Mick have the power to call the shots?) felt he needed to go.

I got the impression from the last tour that he's like the crazy uncle they throw a bone (what other reason is there for them to all just stand there as he does a 10-minute drum solo) but I guess he's still got more pulling power.

I don't think there's an actual tour yet.

Right.
There's been talk since last year that they were doing a final tour this year, there was an article a couple months ago that hinted toward rehearsals starting around now, but no tour dates or anything have been announced.

I don't think there's an actual tour yet.

Right.
There's been talk since last year that they were doing a final tour this year, there was an article a couple months ago that hinted toward rehearsals starting around now, but no tour dates or anything have been announced.
this article says there is an upcoming tour in june, including a quote from the band that mentions a seemingly imminent tour as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/09/lindsey-buckingham-fleetwood-mac-tour

:shrug: weird situation either way.

Last edited:
In this day and age can't imagine a tour starting in June when its already April 10 and they haven't announced any dates or sold any tickets as yet.

As someone who has never seen the Mac live, when all signs are pointing to this outing being their last as a band, I can only think “They couldn’t just keep the chain intact for one more tour?”. The fact that there hasn’t been any specifics (other than possible disagreements) is killing me as well.

One of Australia's biggest festivals just dropped its lineup: https://www.splendourinthegrass.com/

Another reminder of how shit Australian festivals are. There are some quite good local acts on the bill, but if you've paid even the slightest bit of attention you could have already seen them play a headline set easily. Practically every good local act on there, I've seen live in the past year. The internationals are bloody thin on the ground, and for me the only one of any interest is Chvrches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom