Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
she ain't no missy elliott for sure, but cardi b at least has some talent, which is more than can be said for a large portion of mainstream rap artists these days. she won't be around for too long i don't think, but at least the girl has some skills.

a lot of the hate she gets is because of her being unashamed at formerly stripping to pay the bills - personally i think selling hard drugs and shooting people is a lot worse than taking your clothes off for money but nobody seems to have much of a problem celebrating the men in rap who proudly boast about those things. :shrug:

Last edited:
Saying your own name 638493857 times in a single song is a far worse thing than used to be a stripper.

I listened to two of Cardi B's songs and they were not for me, but in response to people talking about her looks, she recently said "Let me fat in peace," which is just about the best thing ever and I want it on my headstone.

Saying your own name 638493857 times in a single song is a far worse thing than used to be a stripper.

you should tell that to bad company, das EFX, big country or the 5,000 other artists that did that first before you shit on her for doing it.

Last edited:
Such is my dislike for the Melbourne Laneway venue that it was probably the only reason I didn't go this year. Solid line up. Sounded like a good day out nonetheless. It would be a good festival to do solo.

she ain't no missy elliott for sure, but cardi b at least has some talent, which is more than can be said for a large portion of mainstream rap artists these days. she won't be around for too long i don't think, but at least the girl has some skills.

a lot of the hate she gets is because of her being unashamed at formerly stripping to pay the bills - personally i think selling hard drugs and shooting people is a lot worse than taking your clothes off for money but nobody seems to have much of a problem celebrating the men in rap who proudly boast about those things. :shrug:

It’s the same reaction to CupcakKe. Her lyrics are extraordinary sexually explicit and people are like “woah this is a bit much” and it’s like but you’ve been listening to men rap the same and much worse for three decades?! [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

People are doing this? Almost makes me want to listen now.

Yep.

I never cared much for Bodak Yellow (although many I know absolutely love that song), but I reckon her pieces on Finesse with Bruno Mars are pretty neat.

Who the hell listens to a Bruno Mars song in the first place.

I remember that fuckawful song Bruno Mars did with BoB, Nothing on You or something like that, being everywhere in late 2010.

I still haven't forgiven him, and it was so utterly and irredeemably shit that I've never listened to another song he's been involved in.

you should tell that to bad company, das EFX, big country or the 5,000 other artists that did that first before you shit on her for doing it.

I thought it was stupid as fuck when one of my favorite hardcore bands did it too. :shrug:

It’s the same reaction to CupcakKe. Her lyrics are extraordinary sexually explicit and people are like “woah this is a bit much” and it’s like but you’ve been listening to men rap the same and much worse for three decades?! [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I almost never even listen to anyone rap about anything and even I know that’s a stupid criticism. I also couldn’t discern what most of the lyrics were (past her name anyway and rhyming anything you want with Yves Saint Laurent) because it was 1) on the radio and half censored and 2) she enunciates worse than Nicki Minaj.

Also, I’d never cite sexually explicit lyrics as a reason to hate on someone when I consider this one of the funniest songs I’ve ever heard
https://youtu.be/hdQitTaabHM

Last edited:
This confirms my suspicion that Tasmania is also not part of Australia

This confirms my suspicion that Tasmania is also not part of Australia

Yesterday I came across a reference to a meeting of senior bureaucrats in 1904 that was described as representing agencies from "Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand".

Even in the early days of Federation nobody believed Tasmania is part of Australia.

it's not that bad. better than Coachella.
Oh no, it's much worse. Those headliners are a joke for 2018, there are no unique gets, and I run out of artists I recognize by the halfway mark.

But the festival circuit is kind of a shadow of its former self these days anyway.

There's a band called Pigeons Playing Ping Pong? :lol:

But I love it when Americans deride as rubbish a festival lineup that would be considered a massive coup if it ever happened in Australia.

This Aussie band is generating a heap of buzz (mostly for rightly calling out Falls Festival for only booking nine female acts) but I heard this song waiting for Rolling Blackouts at Laneway and I thought it was fucking great.

First single (I think) from their second album due out March 2. I know Ax will kill me for this, because he's been on the bandwagon longer than anyone, but I really feel like Aussie music is having a renaissance of late. 2017 I had about four records by Aussies in my top 15, which is unheard of, I usually struggle to get even one. I'm really excited.

Friggin' Cobbler, Camp Cope have been attracting buzz for two years now!

To be honest, much as the members of the band are great people, I've more appreciated Camp Cope for the other bands they've organised gigs with rather than their own music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom