Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Too bad, but honestly the CD selection at the nearest Best Buy has gotten so pathetically small, it isn't even worth going in there anymore. CDs have been steadily losing shelf space at my local Target as well.

They've all got plenty of those Funko Pop! figurines, though.

I pretty much have to drive to Seattle to find a store with a decent CD selection, so it's much easier to just order from Amazon.

Also, FLACz.

It's sad, but thinking of my own buying habits, it's been mostly vinyl or streaming for a while. I don't know when the shift really happened for me, as I had consistently bought CDs until recently.

The debut by the Black Crowes really holds up. Such a great album. And because of its retro sound, doesn’t feel dated as an early 90s release. If you’re into the Faces/golden era Stones I don’t know how you could dislike it.

This, Matthew Sweet’s Girlfriend, and The Jayhawks’ Hollywood Town Hall are the best roots albums of the decade, please discuss.

There is no discussion needed, because this is truth.

:love:

Actually, there should be an asterisk there for The Commitments soundtrack. They weren’t a “real” band because they were all cast for the fictional film, but they did all actually play and sing on all the tracks. It’s a hell of a covers album.

That honestly may be the only Black Crowes album I have ever heard from start to finish. It is a classic, though.

Their follow-up, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, is just as good and arguably better. It’s more groove-based, expansive, with female backing vocals, horns, etc. You may still prefer the rawness of the debut but it’s well-worth checking out in full.

Actually, there should be an asterisk there for The Commitments soundtrack. They weren’t a “real” band because they were all cast for the fictional film, but they did all actually play and sing on all the tracks. It’s a hell of a covers album.

OMG YES! I still have that CD and the DVD. One of my all-time favorites. That singer was great - and was super young when they filmed.

Also in the film: one of the Corrs women playing Jimmy's sister, Maria Doyle Kennedy as one of the backup singers (she is now literally in EVERYTHING), and Glen Hansard playing Outspan.

Did not know about Hansard in that film!

Also, one of the other female singers in the band, Bronagh Gallagher, plays a Republic pilot in The Phantom Menace, and if I’m not mistaken has the first line in the film.

Hi all. So management at work are being arseholes and I am in need of heavy music by women, it's the only thing keeping me sane at the moment. I started with Grot by St Vincent, then moved on to Strange Hellos by Torres, then remembered Abyss by Chelsea Wolfe and that is really hitting the fucking spot.

They've all got plenty of those Funko Pop! figurines, though.

I've no idea what the shit these are associated with or why I've suddenly seen them mentioned multiple times online in recent weeks, but when I first saw the name I assumed it was some kind of shitty sugary alcoholic drink that underage kids drink. Would've been better if it was.

Hi all. So management at work are being arseholes and I am in need of heavy music by women, it's the only thing keeping me sane at the moment. I started with Grot by St Vincent, then moved on to Strange Hellos by Torres, then remembered Abyss by Chelsea Wolfe and that is really hitting the fucking spot.

Myrkur is probably too heavy for you, but hey if you want choral-influenced black metal then go nuts, either album. She's got heaps of shit from the metal community too for not being "tr00 kvlt", and for having previously been involved in non-metal projects, but why the fuck some "poser" would make this music I don't know. Chelsea appears on a couple of her tracks from last year.

And don't forget about Cable Ties!

I don't think Laz will mind me stealing his thunder here:

Code Orange, you fool

:love:

l.

Best soundtrack ever.

I had this on cassette and played it lots and lots. Amazing stuff.

For anyone unfamiliar:

The director is Alan Parker, who also did some notable film musical work with Pink Floyd: The Wall and Fame. They recorded live sound when the band performed the songs on camera, so what you see on the screen is what was being played. The lead singer was only 18 when this was shot, if memory serves. And I also think they're all Irish.

Watched The Commitments last year when I was looking for something to watch on Netflix. Definitely gets the job done, great music, entertaining flick. Haven't seen any Alan Parker outside of that one and The Wall.

Last edited:
Try some Marriages.

Shit, why didn't I think of this. Marriages own. My phone is kindly not showing which song you posted, but Binge and Love, Texas are basically perfect.

Also, The War on Drugs were waaaayyyyy better tonight at their headline show than they were at Laneway.

If I could rewind to about 6 minutes ago, back to a simpler, more pleasant time where I didn’t know who Cardi B was that would be great.

If I could rewind to about 6 minutes ago, back to a simpler, more pleasant time where I didn’t know who Cardi B was that would be great.

I still have not encountered Carbi B to any extent greater than a few mentions on here and RYM, both of which suggest Pitchfork must like her a lot, but that some people on RYM think she's some kind of flash in the pan.

I am entirely uninterested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom