Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a big fan of Antony & The Johnsons but then never listened to the new project. I should probably rectify that.

Listening to the album now and absolutely fucking punching myself in the head for not listening to it last year. Absolutely tremendous. And great to see more visibility for trans artists.

Yeah I was a big fan of that one last year but never went back to it as often as I should. The lyrics were pretty weak in spots but the production and vocal conviction made up for it.

Well anyways people really should check out the run of I Am a Bird Now / The Crying Light / Swanlights. Harrowing but also strangely uplifting stuff.

I know that last ANOHNI album was produced by Daniel Lopatin and tho I'm a huge fan of Daniel, i really haven't checked the album out...

Well anyways people really should check out the run of I Am a Bird Now / The Crying Light / Swanlights. Harrowing but also strangely uplifting stuff.

Yeah, they are all great. The Crying Light is my favorite of the bunch, and one of the better albums released that year (2009).

A yoga student of mine asked me to take an Antony song off of a yoga mix and I essentially told him to fuck off.

Of all the artists that get lumped into the "chamber pop" category, I think Antony/Anohni is the one that really embodies it. The term actually makes sense when listening to her.

Crying Light is incredible.

Also randomly the album I listen to most while playing Mario 64...

I need to dust that game off. I never completed it but Breath of the Wild has re-inspired my love for sprawling games. Plus I'm not a dumb shit anymore.

heard on the radio on the way home:

"...and the westbound 401 is slow through mississauga road. now here's a timely track to cheer you up! haw haw haw!"

*when the levee breaks*

:|

I want to know why so many websites think it's perfectly fine to include blatant spoilers in headlines and thumbnails. I swear to fuck I know 99% of this season's Game of Thrones from these cursory looks at headlines.

It's just this one show where it seems like spoiling it has turned onto a game. I don't get it.

For someone who has never seen an episode of GoT, I know a LOT about what happens, characters, Jon Snow's ass, etc. It's tough to avoid.

You have no idea.

C/P from Facebook:

This morning I find myself pondering a truly troubling quandary: how does one properly tell the tale of Yestival 2017?

For me, the story starts a little something like this...

Before we can start properly, allow me to set the scene. It starts with me, missing out on almost any sleep, sacrificing myself to the Got in order to be able to use the internet, for it is dark and full of spoilers. As a result, I was running on two hours sleep and a nap on the couch at work by the time I remembered I was supposed to attend a progressive rock concert that evening. Dismayed, I realized I was doomed to fall asleep during the show. I resigned myself to this fate. At 6:00 pm I was on the train, but with no idea the direction that evening was fated to take.

I could have taken it as a sign of ill portent that I ended up on a train with a broken sound system, that told me I was at my destination a stop early. I waited for Travis at that train station for 25 minutes before I realized I was at the wrong stop, causing us to be about 10 minutes late for Carl Palmer's set. That was to be the last bad moment of the day, until we got back home. The first thing that happened was that the show apparently sold very poorly. So our loge tickets on the upper level of the Microsoft Theater were upgraded to the center level of the ground level. They were far-ish back, but a great view, and we could hardly complain about our comped tickets.

Carl Palmer is, if you don't already know, the last surviving member of ELP (Emerson, Lake and Palmer. He's Palmer, in case you were wondering). He played about 4 or 5 songs, only two of which we were able to see. I was pretty sad, because he was the person I was there to see, and the little bit of his set I saw told me I was definitely missing out... On something insanely cringey. Palmer is the drummer from ELP, so I don't know how he handled vocals the rest of the night, but when we got there, he was just starting "Lucky Man" where he was joined by Todd Rundgren, who sang vocals. This was amazing, but I found myself noticing the video screens nearly immediately. This was because the corny prog video they were trying to show during the song kept getting interrupted by someone MOVING A MOUSE and making the timeline of the video pop up in the screens. For Palmer's final song, this video was then replaced by what can only be described as a video montage his 5 year old grandson must have made him. Palmer was playing this incredible drum solo, and I was doubled over laughing at windows movie maker transitions of a photo clip show from ELP's long history..... Where every picture zoomed in on Palmer's location in the photo. It can't be described, it was just hilarious. And of course the whole time the movie player timeline kept popping up on screen.

And just like that, it was over. Time for Todd Rundgren. At this point I made my Facebook status last night. Also my phone died.

There's no way to describe how insane Rundgren's set was. I'm not even going to try. He almost exclusively played new music. And that music is some kind of Meat Loaf - Erasure hybrid, backed by this 69 year old man, prancing around on stage, dancers behind him straight out of a David Lynch movie. I heard some of Utopia's music for the first time, and I was basically in awe the entire time... Discovering another band that was basically made for me is always fun. It was, as I said, beyond proper description.

Travis and I then went out to the concourse to get a drink, etc. We began to head back to our seats when Travis says, "I'm not ready to sit down yet, let's go back out," and we do. We're standing out in the concourse, just having a fun conversation about the evening so far, and anticipating the final act, Yes. It was just a nice night and we were both so happy. When suddenly, a man walked over to us and said, "you've been upgraded", and shoved a bunch of stuff into my hands and left, disappearing into the night. I looked down to see two tickets for 3rd row center, two meet and greet passes and a sheet of paper explaining how to use our pass, and how to recover our pictures the next day.

Travis looks at me like, "is this real?" and I'm like, "only one way to find out..."

Which is how we ended up watching Yes from about 5 feet away, and then met the band afterwards. I'm still waiting for the picture, but suffice it to say, that was one of the craziest nights of my life and Travis was able to meet one of his 5 favorite guitarists of all time.

Worth every second. Oh, and I never fell asleep, obviously.

And in case you were wondering, the bad thing that happened was, when we got home we discovered we were in the midst of a brown out, but that took care of itself long after I had passed out.

The end...?

But you guys can have the bonus version of the story, which I didn't want to put on Facebook, and that is:
Re-read it knowing that I popped an edible right before Carl Palmer.

Pretty cool.
Was the upgrade guy just somebody who only wanted to see Rundgren but bought the package and handed it off and left before Yes I wonder.

Pretty cool.
Was the upgrade guy just somebody who only wanted to see Rundgren but bought the package and handed it off and left before Yes I wonder.

I'm assuming he had an emergency or something. Maybe he and whoever he was there with were having a fight? I don't know, he seemed like he was in a great mood, so I'm not sure.

Either way, the Meet and Greet also came with other Yes stuff, like a lithograph, t-shirt and tote bag and he didn't give me those things, so he must've at least been a fan of the band enough to want to keep all of that.

So so strange.

A tad strange. Probably some emergency like you guess, maybe a text from the babysitter that her fee went from $30 to $50 when she added the pizza ordering fee and the rummaging through the closet fee. (or a text that the kid was sick).

Either way worked out well for you & Travis.
I've seen some odd things at shows such as my first Elevation show (Boston 1 the night before the infamous hole in the heart sit down protest) a group of about a dozen were front and center on the rail for PJ Harvey, and all marched out of the heart together chanting something like "we gotta go" (don't really recall the chant) opening up the most prime spot in the building for others for U2. It got me a tad closer as a result so I was fine with it. (went from about 10 feet in front of Edge to about 6 feet in front of him when everyone shuffled to fill in the void, great view of the Angry Edge guitar smash at the end of Gone).

Was listening to The Soft Bulletin yesterday. Still not my favourite Lips record (that's Embryonic) but fuck it's an amazing record. The production is breathtaking at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom