Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a couple of years since I've been here, but when I found out about Walter Becker's death I had a weird urge to post here. I discovered Steely Dan though this forum (on a Desert Island playlist, I think) and have been a fan ever since. Really sad news. RIP.

Hey, IWB, my PM box is full and my Premium Membership didn't reupdate, you aren't around, are you?

I'm not quite the fan Laz is, I've got three other records and while they're all really good none have clicked with me as soundly as Aja. But then I suspect Laz probably doesn't have one of their albums in his all-time top five.

Aja really just is that good. I'm blown away whenever I listen to it. Everything about it is just so satisfying.

Countdown to Ecstasy is hovering right around that mark and is definitely in my Top 10.

Get the rest of the albums, there isn't a bad one in the bunch. Even the post-reunion ones.

Yep, just start at the beginning of their discography and work down. It's all incredibly enjoyable.

Aja is such an aural feast. But other than that, I think my favourite might be Katy Lied. Bad Sneakers just slays me. And Gold Teeth II is otherworldly.

Pretty certain now that I'm going to get tickets to one of the area shows, just need to figure out who all is coming. Will be wrapping Fagen in bubble wrap.

Eta - but Countdown to Ecstasy, though. It's like choosing a favourite child.

Last edited:
RateYourMusic has each of the 1972-1977 albums rated between 3.83 and 3.90. That's some fucking consistency right there.

Gaucho takes a hit though, which is a little unfair. That's a great album too.

I only know Steely Dan because of their connection to Larry Carlton in the 70s. i might check them out this time.

Aja is such an aural feast. But other than that, I think my favourite might be Katy Lied. Bad Sneakers just slays me. And Gold Teeth II is otherworldly.

Pretty certain now that I'm going to get tickets to one of the area shows, just need to figure out who all is coming. Will be wrapping Fagen in bubble wrap.

Eta - but Countdown to Ecstasy, though. It's like choosing a favourite child.

Katy Lied was my favorite for a while, but I think Ecstasy is a little more consistent to the end. Pearl Of the Quarter/King of the Road definitely tops Any World That I'm Welcome To/Throw Back The Little Ones.

RateYourMusic has each of the 1972-1977 albums rated between 3.83 and 3.90. That's some fucking consistency right there.

Gaucho takes a hit though, which is a little unfair. That's a great album too.

I love Gaucho but Glamour Profession is probably my least-favorite Dan song. And it's over 7 minutes long.

So the new LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear, and War on Drugs albums are shaping up to be my favorite albums of the year. I'm hoping I'll like the new National album as well.

I'm not really getting into the Grizzly Bear album. It's something that I should love but it's not clicking yet. Morning Sound is pretty good though.

Has there been any talk on the new QOTSA by the way? It's not as good as Like Clockwork but it's still strong. The best part of the album is in the beginning: when the groove kicks in Feet Don't Fail Me. So good.

Villains is excellent. I agree that the opening of Feet Don't Fail Me is great. I really like The Way You Used To Do as well. Head Like A Haunted House is a monstrous tune as well.

It's a nice change of pace after the more downbeat Like Clockwork, though I love that album too.

I'm not a huge fan of Tool, but it would be nice if Maynard would put the catalog on Apple Music. Every now and then I do get a craving to listen to Aenima at work.

The first half is a mixed bag, but the second half is great and justifies the four year wait. QOTSA always delivers.

The new Pains of Being Pure at Heart album sounds like what would happen if Los Campesinos and Stars lobotomized each other and then decided to collaborate on an album.

lots of albums from big artists, like LCD Soundsystem or War on Drugs haven't really wow-ed me; could be that I'm just being debbie downer or hater, i don't know. but it seems like expectations were bit high for these albums. however i did like new Tara Melos album tho.

It's striking how hard Pains of Being Pure at Heart have fallen off. The first album and EPs/singles from that era are so far ahead of the middle-of-the-road stuff they're putting out now.

I haven't been here too often lately, but I wanted to stop by to say how fucking incredible this year has been in music for me. Not sure how many of you are, like me, in your mid-30s. But for someone who spent my 20s in the aughts and had many of my formative music experiences in that decade, it's just insane how much incredible music I am getting from basically all my heroes. Many of them had no right to be putting out music that is this good so many years after their debuts (not looking at you, Arcade Fire).

I now have very good to incredible 2017 albums from Broken Social Scene, LCD Soundsystems, Spoon, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Feist, Dirty Projectors, The National (haven't heard this one yet), and soon from St. Vincent and Beck (yeah, he's more of a 90s artist, but Sea Change and Modern Guilt dominated my twenties). This just makes me so happy.

Thanks, music.

I found it really disappointing.

.... but I'm apparently the only onr who liked the latest alt-J album, so what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom