Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at FYF Fest was one of the best days of music I've ever experienced. Maybe the single best. The Cap'n Jazz reunion could have been a cash in, but Mike Kinsella seemed unleashed compared to some of the recent American Football stuff. These bands must be a necessary release for him, just in different directions. I doubt he pays frisbee with a tambourine at American Football shows. Instant top 10 performance for me, even though I somewhat regret only coming perilously close to moshing. I really should have gone all the way with it.

I was a person or two back from the rail to see Built to Spill play Keep It Like a Secret. What can I even say to that? Of course it was perfect. Excellent musicians playing one of my favorite albums of all time. I could listen to live Carry the Zero once a week and never get tired of it.

I also got to see one of A Tribe Called Quest's last shows. Fresh off one of the best rap albums of the decade, they didn't even need to dip into their classics, but this show reinvigorated my love for Excursions and Buggin Out (which featured Raphael Saadiq playing the iconic bass part; yes, I did lose my shit). They did this insane fake out and did a three song encore even though they weren't headlining. What a way to go out.

The headliner was actually Frank Ocean. A certain breed of Frank fans would have hated this show because it was so sedate and featured only one Channel Orange track, but I found it to be one of the most beautiful and intimate performances I've ever witnessed, a perfect complement to the material. He had it set up to where he was essentially playing on a b stage with a small band, but you could see everything on a series of large, effects-laden screens. The speakers were rigged up in what seemed to be quadrophonic sound, so the music wrapped you as you listened, pulling you in further. His voice sounded incredible. He played most of Blonde. This was a very special gig that I feel grateful to have been to.

That's not even mentioning how good Mitski was. Go see her if you can. Her music is great and she's super humble. The only disappointment was that I had to skip Erykah Badu's set because she went out at least 20 minutes late. That sucked. Maybe some other time. Everything else was so fantastic that I won't let Erykah's crew ruin it for me.

@Martha: I also finally got to see Jonathan Richman. He's a riot. Really a great, charming act to get my day started. Not much Modern Lovers stuff, but I was more than happy with what I got instead, which was a bunch of really funny new material. He has this really stoic drummer with him and Jonathan seemed determined to make him laugh at any cost.

How he introduces a drum solo: "Hey, let's see what Tommy's up to!"

How he introduces a guitar solo: "Wow, look! A guitar solo out of the blue!"

Such a fun day.

Oh man, I'm really jealous of that. Would die to see A Tribe Called Quest. And I'm always happy to hear of people loving live music :) there's really nothing else like it. I've got Sigur Ros and LCD in consecutive nights this week.

And UiU, that was really sad. I wonder what it was for him that convinced him to do it. Wonder if it was akin to Chris Cornell, and he just got super wasted one night and unfortunately succumbed.

Thanks, Utah, for posting that. He sounds like someone who has done a lot of work to process and understand his trauma from a neutral perspective, but depression can always come back and drag you right back into a hopeless place. I hope he rests in peace and that his family is okay.

Cobbler, I was just seeing the Sigur Rós photos from Splendour in the Grass and wondered if any of the interference Aussies are going to see them soon. If you've never seen them, prepare yourself. They are operating on another planet!

I was a person or two back from the rail to see Built to Spill play Keep It Like a Secret. What can I even say to that? Of course it was perfect. Excellent musicians playing one of my favorite albums of all time. I could listen to live Carry the Zero once a week and never get tired of it.

I'd rather hear Perfect From Now On played in full, personally.

wow I'm even more excited about my MItski show after reading LemMel's post
It's worth it for Happy alone.

I'd rather hear Perfect From Now On played in full, personally.

The gap between those two is narrowing for me. Randy Described Eternity is definitely Rushmore material.

I also have a weakness for There's Nothing Wrong With Love and would pay an untold amount of money to hear them attempt Preview.

Cobbler, I was just seeing the Sigur Rós photos from Splendour in the Grass and wondered if any of the interference Aussies are going to see them soon. If you've never seen them, prepare yourself. They are operating on another planet!

I've seen them once before, in a gorgeous setting in my home town in 2012 or 2013, and it was mindblowing. Very excited. :up:

They better be good. For some reason I bought tickets to their Sydney show even though I don't listen to them very much, and it turns out the Hordern Pavilion is a fucking pain in the arse to get to. It's going to be a bit of a trek from Wollongong.

:lol:

Fantastic album. The middle section from "The Captain" to "Live With You" is particularly great - "Please Stay" and "Light Them on Fire" have been standout songs in her live set for ages. When I first saw her at Laneway 2016, it was "Light Them on Fire" that really got my attention.

And, of course, "Girlie Bits" is the sarcastic feminist anthem that Aussie rock has needed for some time.

The Captain blew me away, for sure. Also really liked Walk/Talk.

PSA: Oblique Strategies is available on Eno's website. I just bought a set, cost $80 fucking Australian dollars, but worth it, because they are very rarely available.

Has anyone listened to the new Lana Del Rey?

I'm actually liking it more than expected. It might be her best album so far. It's overlong of course, but not as blatant as her previous albums.

Haha I don't know, it's something friends and I have done for years now when we text each other and I guess the habit has spilled over to THE BLUE CRACK.

Has anyone listened to the new Lana Del Rey?

I'm actually liking it more than expected. It might be her best album so far. It's overlong of course, but not as blatant as her previous albums.

Really dug it. I'm not sure I like it better than Ultraviolence but it's a good comeback from the tepid Honeymoon.

And yes, probably a few songs too long but I actually found the second half to be stronger so it wasn't a slog to get through. Those duets with Stevie Nicks and Sean Ono Lennon are both great and I have to agree with Pitchfork that the last track, Get Free is the best thing on there. In fact, it might be her finest song to date.

I agree that this is a nice bounce back from Honeymoon, which mostly just puts me to sleep.

I prefer the songs where it's just her to the collaborations. Early favorites are 13 Beaches, Cherry, and Heroin.

I'm also down with finally hearing some political songs from her. I saw where she said she didn't care if it caused her to lose fans. I respect that she took her music there, even if it's a big departure from her earlier stuff.

2 Joni albums is not enough, and Hejira all the way down in the 120s below Britney Spears, Spice Girls, etc is shameful coming from NPR.

No Billie Holiday in the list is a inexcusable. PJ Harvey is way too low as well. Bjork should have more than one album. Fiona Apple is way too low (and should have more than one album). And there are several albums from the last 10-15 years that could be represented.

The only Lana album that isn't a snooze for me is Ultraviolence, including the new one. Same old shit, now with more rattling hi hats.

Turning The Tables: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women : NPR

There are some ridiculous choices in this list (like in all lists), but I like the concept.

Obviously all lists like this are subjective, but I've got some problems with this. Lemonade at #5 while A Seat At The Table is all the way up at #134 is ridiculous to me. I've always said ASATT was better and I'm starting to feel like Lemonade is quickly becoming one of the most overrated records of all time.

I'm not all that familiar with Missy Elliot's work, but I just can't imagine her album is the fourth greatest ever by a woman.

Also, I'm surprised there's no Sarah McLachlan. I know some of you aren't fans, but Fumbling Towards Ecstasy and Surfacing are great records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom