Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to apologize for what music you like or don't. I wasn't a Linkin Park fan, just had a general awareness of them, liked a few songs enough to listen when they came on the radio.
Also knew about Bennington being Weiland's replacement for a few years with Stone Temple Pilots.
Still as you said, a very sad story.

I didn't know Chester was from Phoenix until today, and people are pretty upset here. My friend at the yoga studio knows some of Chester's family/children. She was concerned that some of them were finding out about his death through the press.

I played some LP songs before class at the request of my yoga students. Surreal to watch people sit and meditate to a song like Crawling. I was never a huge fan, but I did always like the track Faint.

Yup. Peoria Centennial grad, or at least student. Not sure if he dropped out. I used to work with a guy who was sorta-friends with him. Brought in the yearbook one day.

I used to tell a friend they were "the Backstreet Boys of Metal". The other day, I heard a promo on Sirius/XM where Chester said "we were like the Backstreet Boys of Metal." I almost drove off the road.

You must've heard this at some point in the past 15 years on the radio or out and about somewhere...

Oh, okay - I recognize the opening. A lot of those bands around that time all blur together in my mind, so I didn't realize that was LP.

Yup. Peoria Centennial grad, or at least student. Not sure if he dropped out. I used to work with a guy who was sorta-friends with him. Brought in the yearbook one day.
Never knew he was a Centennial student. All info about him mentions him starting out at Washington H.S. before having to transfer to Greenway.

Never knew he was a Centennial student. All info about him mentions him starting out at Washington H.S. before having to transfer to Greenway.

Maybe the Centennial part may have came when he was really messed up and shipped to his mom, who put him on lockdown? I have never heard reference to Washington or Greenway, but they are all in the same general area, so maybe he was at all of them?

Here's an article that references Centennial

http://https://ktar.com/story/16633...phoenix-native-chester-bennington-kills-self/

Last edited:
Honestly one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life.

You're not missing anything.

I just feel lucky I had Nine Inch Nails as an aggression support band in my teens instead of the Nu Metal that millennials succumbed to.

I fucking love nu metal (though I hate that term and refuse to call it that). It's rap-rock and rap-metal, nothing else. Linkin Park and their rap-metal pals P.O.D. basically saved my life.

On a personal level, this is so awful, you don't want anyone to get to the point where they feel like ending it all is the only option, and I feel terrible for his family and friends. It's just very, very sad.

On a musical level though, I don't feel the sense of loss I felt when Cornell passed, or when Bowie passed. I always felt that nu-metal, or whatever you want to call it, was the worst thing to happen to mainstream rock music. Mainstream rock music essentially ceased existing after nu-metal faded away. I never, ever liked it, and thought much of it was artistically bankrupt.

Having said that, I also always felt that there multiple tiers within the nu-metal thing. You have those who I found truly offensive - like Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, future senator Kid Rock, etc. And then you had another group, which included Linkin Park, and also Korn, and some others, that, while I still didn't care that much for them, were still like Mozart compared to the first group, and were worth checking out at they very least.

I certainly remember some of those Metora singles from the summer of 03.

In any case, it's just an extremely tragic thing. R.I.P.

Yoga friend mentioned Greenway HS to me as well.

I listened to some LP yesterday afternoon. My most vivid memories of them involve my sister and I mimicking/mocking their rapper. Like others have said, that's the part of their music I could never take seriously.

Last edited:
Honestly one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life.

You're not missing anything.

I just feel lucky I had Nine Inch Nails as an aggression support band in my teens instead of the Nu Metal that millennials succumbed to.
Haha. I was afraid I was going to be the only one to traverse this particular road. I like you, laz.

I find both bands pretty intolerable, but I've never really found angsty shit appealing. Achtung Baby, OK Computer, Disintegration, In Utero, Exile in Guyville, that's about as far as I go.

Still, I feel horrible for his family, friends and fans. Unbelievably awful situation.

I saw Linkin Park open for Metallica back in '03 or '04 (whenever the St. Anger tour was). They were one of three openers. The others being Limp Bizkit and some other band that started with D that used to be popular but for the life of me I can't remember (and can't be bothered to care to - I think they wore masks?). All I remember was that Linkin Park was the best opener by a country mile, though that wasn't saying much cause my impression of Limp Bizkit and the other band was that they were fucking awful.

I saw Linkin Park open for Metallica back in '03 or '04 (whenever the St. Anger tour was). They were one of three openers. The others being Limp Bizkit and some other band that started with D that used to be popular but for the life of me I can't remember (and can't be bothered to care to - I think they wore masks?). All I remember was that Linkin Park was the best opener by a country mile, though that wasn't saying much cause my impression of Limp Bizkit and the other band was that they were fucking awful.

That was probably Slipknot.

All of you do yourselves a favour and buy A Suitable Girl by Aussie girl Ali Barter. I'm sure Ax will back me up, unless he's only a fan of her earlier work, which wouldn't surprise me, being the traitorous Wollongong scum that he is.

So sad to here about Chester. Like seemingly everyone of my generation, they were one of the bands on my first iPod, along with the Billy Talents of this world. I saw them live in 2011 and it was great fun jumping and singing along to their hits even though I wasn't a fan anymore by that point.

Am I the only one who thinks he looked a lot like Pop-era Bono?

All of you do yourselves a favour and buy A Suitable Girl by Aussie girl Ali Barter. I'm sure Ax will back me up, unless he's only a fan of her earlier work, which wouldn't surprise me, being the traitorous Wollongong scum that he is.

:lol:

Fantastic album. The middle section from "The Captain" to "Live With You" is particularly great - "Please Stay" and "Light Them on Fire" have been standout songs in her live set for ages. When I first saw her at Laneway 2016, it was "Light Them on Fire" that really got my attention.

And, of course, "Girlie Bits" is the sarcastic feminist anthem that Aussie rock has needed for some time.

I think Deaftone is actually doing better than Limp Biskit and other nu metal bands. i haven't listened to their album that came out last year but reviews were good

I haven't liked anything Lana Del Rey has put out since her debut. Oh well. Happy to just like that one.

very sad to hear of anyone getting to such a desperate point in their life, i've been damn close to that place myself. may the man rest in peace.

but calling linkin park's music "garbage" is a grievous insult to landfills all around the world. i hate what that whole nu metal phase did to mainstream rock.

Last edited:
Calling Linkin Park anything other than a pop band hasn't been a valid categorization for years. They still sucked as a pop band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom