Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
426926_1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Only looking at the hair I thought you posted the pic of Lee Ranaldo

I'm making a 12 song playlist where I take (what I think) are the best songs from both Use Your Illusion albums by Guns N' Roses and I'm reminded of how awesome the song Civil War is. But also remembering how bloated the albums are. But back in 1991/92 when I was 14 listening to these albums on my disc-man every night before falling asleep I thought this was some epic stuff.

While there is definitely a fair amount of filler, it is to their credit that I've never ever been able to whittle it down to a single disc. The only solution I found was to axe November Rain completely and pretend it was a standalone single in favor of keeping the superior epic Estranged.

I have my custom playlist "Fuse Your Illusion" (CLEVER!) at home, will post later. I do remember that it opens with Double Talkin' Jive going right into You Could Be Mine. Right Next Door To Hell is a weak intro.

It's a varied album, definitely. Bluesy, punk rockish, ballad heavy, somewhat experimental, straight up rock, and then the covers. I tried opening with You Could Be Mine but it feels like a later in the album song.

I'm making a 12 song playlist where I take (what I think) are the best songs from both Use Your Illusion albums by Guns N' Roses and I'm reminded of how awesome the song Civil War is. But also remembering how bloated the albums are. But back in 1991/92 when I was 14 listening to these albums on my disc-man every night before falling asleep I thought this was some epic stuff.

Let's see how your list would compare to mine if I did the same:
(thrown together quickly)

1. Double Talkin' Jive
2. Dust N Bones
3. Pretty Tied Up
4. Don't Cry (original)
5. Civil War
6. Live and Let Die
7. Estranged
8. Right Next Door to Hell
9. Don't Damn Me
10. You Could Be Mine
11. Coma
12. Back Off Bitch

Almost through the Lorde album now. "Melodrama" really is a perfect title, as it takes you back to all the heightened emotions of being a twenty-something - in an affecting rather than a cliched way. Supercut is probably the best example of that.

I see Goldfrapp is coming in September. Should I go? I feel like I want to go, but the G&T I had when I got home from work was stronger than I intended.

Edit: Oops, never mind. I'll be in San Diego for U2.

Goldfrapp is opening for New Order at the Hollywood Bowl this summer. While NO is one of my all-time fav bands, I told myself I wouldn't see them minus Peter Hook. But being able to see an artist at the Bowl tends to make me reconsider. Plus the tix are as low as $33.

Let's see how your list would compare to mine if I did the same:
(thrown together quickly)

1. Double Talkin' Jive
2. Dust N Bones
3. Pretty Tied Up
4. Don't Cry (original)
5. Civil War
6. Live and Let Die
7. Estranged
8. Right Next Door to Hell
9. Don't Damn Me
10. You Could Be Mine
11. Coma
12. Back Off Bitch

Didn't read this till after I posted the list above.

Yeah, I think the refrain in Double Talkin' Jive of "no more patience" is a great reference to the last thing they had released. And it just comes rumbling right out of the gate.

Anyway, here's what I've been listening to for a long time:

FUSE YOUR ILLUSION
1. Double Talkin' Jive
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Yesterdays
4. Don't Cry
5. 14 Years
6. Breakdown
7. Locomotive
(if there was a side split it would be here)
8. Civil War
9. Dust 'n' Bones
10. Perfect Crime
11. Bad Obsession
12. You Ain't The First
13. So Fine
14. Estranged
15. My World

TRT: 76 min

I'm a big fan of Izzy Stradlin' so I included everything he took lead vocals on and most of what he wrote or co-wrote. I also love Duff's contribution; So Fine is a nice change of pace for the band. I tend to shy away from the generic rockers but a couple remained. Locomotive is probably my favorite thing on here with that out-of-this-world final piano-driven section. Also love the groove of Breakdown.

As I said, I didn't leave room for November Rain as I've never been a huge fan, and while Coma has some cool stuff in it, I didn't have an extra 10 minutes for that either. And there's nothing from the second half of USI1, which I find extremely weak.

For all the reasons I love this forum... it has made me focus far too strongly on records that come out in the year you're in. And it's impossible to hear and appreciate them all. And then once the year ends, so many records, every year, I end up ignoring because it's not that year anymore, like they're irrelevant... I've really got to break that habit. Listening to Malibu by Anderson Paak now and it's fucking kicking my ass. It's so good. But there's this pang of like 'oh it doesn't matter because it's not a 2017 album so it's not relevant'.

Dunno if anyone else is like this, but it shits me.

Listening to Malibu by Anderson Paak now and it's fucking kicking my ass. It's so good. But there's this pang of like 'oh it doesn't matter because it's not a 2017 album so it's not relevant'.

Welcome to the club. I love love love that album, still one of my favorite of 2016 (it feels older than that, maybe because it's a January release). If you ever get a chance to see him live, go for it. He's incredible, specially when drumming. Heart Don't Stand a Chance is a classic.

For all the reasons I love this forum... it has made me focus far too strongly on records that come out in the year you're in. And it's impossible to hear and appreciate them all. And then once the year ends, so many records, every year, I end up ignoring because it's not that year anymore, like they're irrelevant... I've really got to break that habit. Listening to Malibu by Anderson Paak now and it's fucking kicking my ass. It's so good. But there's this pang of like 'oh it doesn't matter because it's not a 2017 album so it's not relevant'.

I used to be that way. Then I decided life was too short to listen to new music instead of listening to good music. I'm listening to Currents by Tame Impala and it's better than anything I've heard that's come out this year.

I have that issue with albums from the previous year for whatever reason, but not anything older than that.

Malibu is fantastic. It's remarkable that it didn't get lost in the shuffle with the likes of Blackstar, A Moon Shaped Pool, Blonde, Untitled Unmastered, The Life of Pablo, Wildflower, Teens of Denial, We Got It From Here and Atrocity Exhibition, but it really held its own in one of my favorite music years.

Have a lot of trouble deciding whether Malibu or A Seat at the Table is the best album of 16.

I went to Iron Maiden on Friday. They played like 5 songs I was familiar with, and a ton of new songs. They were loud. And old. Still fun.

This band opened, I liked them way more than I should.

ghost is hilarious. they'll be here in july, i've been debating going.

Oh, Ghost are still playing? Last I heard there was a legal feud between the frontman and his "nameless ghouls".

Oh, Ghost are still playing? Last I heard there was a legal feud between the frontman and his "nameless ghouls".

well i think Papa Emeritus considers Ghost to be a solo project rather than a band so i guess he replaced all the members for this tour to carry on? I know they're in a lawsuit and he's fighting against former members, tho.

How good is the chorus of Perfect Places? It's probably my favorite song on Melodrama.

I want to buy the new PURPLE RAIN deluxe edition. Did anybody do this? I don't think I've heard much of what is on the second disc.

I gave The xx a lot of shit recently, but now that I finally am listening to I See You, it's a lot better than I expected. It doesn't help that they chose probably the two worst songs on the album as singles.

I want to buy the new PURPLE RAIN deluxe edition. Did anybody do this? I don't think I've heard much of what is on the second disc.

I got it, but haven't listened to it yet. But hell, 3 CDs and a DVD, and I paid maybe $25? U2, take fucking note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom