Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, likewise.

To be honest, the only reason I haven't been posting is because I was getting overwhelmed with how much I'd missed (I tend to read every post in this thread and the other threads I follow) and the idea of even opening the app at that point was giving me so much anxiety I tried to pretend it didn't exist, but...baby steps. I'm here now.

Anyways, just to update you all:

So, at the beginning of the year I left my job in sports to go work in the movie trailer business. It was something I'd always wanted to do, and I was getting really overwhelmed working at the place I'd been at the last two years. Made the switch and realized that I wasn't ready for a whole big upheaval in my life like that. Ended up getting really depressed, gained about 30 pounds over where I was last summer, kinda went off the rails for about two weeks somewhere in the middle of it, started seeing a therapist, realized I really really hated my new job, and wanted to go back to my old one, but felt like I'd be a huge failure if I went back. Thankfully I had a God works in mysterious ways moment, and a job I applied for back in February gave me a call back at the beginning of July and ended up hiring me on the spot. Unfortunately, they only employ part-time, so I was going to have to turn them down, when my old job (where I worked with the UFC) called me and asked me if I'd come back to work on this project they have currently going on, and we ended up working it out to where I'd come back here full-time until my new job starts in late August, and then work at both places part-time. I'll end up working more, but I'm back in a place where I'm used to, so I'm hoping over the next weeks/months my anxiety level will go back down to his basic buzzing level that I always have, instead of this very loud high strung feeling I've been having for the last 3-4 months.

So, yeah, I'm happier now, but still very stressed out. The one thing I do need, though, is consistency and friendship, so it was a mistake not to ignore my OCD and just come in here and chat with you guys. So, I'm going to at least try and fix that one.

Yeah, so...there you go.

The new Guided by Voices album is the best thing they've done since 2004.

Thanks for the tip. Picked it up a few days ago and really digging it. Their post-reunion output has been so overwhelming I felt out of the loop and had only heard about 4 of the albums. This one definitely sounds like a major release, best thing I've heard of this period as well.

The first thing that stands out is the guitars. A lot of great leads and riffs. Not aware of their current lineup but maybe a new addition? I also noticed a new vocalist who does lead on a few tracks. He's not bad.

So yeah, at 32 tracks it does taper off a little by the end, but it's surprisingly low on filler. Major recommendation for those who ever loved GBV (which should be everyone).

I wish the trend of articles with "We need to talk about..." in the title would descend back to hell.

We need to talk about Cobbler.

We never post about Peter Gabriel in here, esp now that Ashley has disappeared, but that guy rules. Red Rain ftw.

Feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel.

I've been recounting my five favorite artists/bands a lot lately, for some reason it keeps coming up and I've had to evaluate whether or not I still feel as strongly about some as I did before, but for the most part, I'd still say 100% that my top 5 is:

U2
Bruce Springsteen
The Cure
Peter Gabriel
The Killers

I only mention this to further press home the point that Peter Gabriel is just the bee's knees. Also, yes, Red Rain, ftw. But if I was pressed to do a PG top 10 it would probably be:

Games Without Frontiers
Secret World
Come Talk to Me
Don't Give Up
Biko
Secret World
Red Rain
Lay Your Hands on Me
I Don't Remember
Modern Love

*The Book of Love < If you can count that, which really, you can't.

Honorable mentions to: I Grieve, Here Comes the Flood, Mercy Street, Wallflower and San Jacinto

You listed Secret World twice. But as it's my favorite PG song I don't mind. Come Talk To Me is on my Rushmore as well, I love when those big cracking Manu Katche drums come in midway through. Us is easily my fav album of his.

You know what doesn't get talked about enough? Ovo. That is one hell of an underrated album.

:lol:. Maybe I did it on purpose. I do love that song a great deal. Well, in that case, throw I Grieve on there and add Love to Be Loved to the honorable mentions. Come Talk to Me, Love to Be Loved , the peaceful part of Digging in the Dirt and Secret World are all songs that I find to be so beautiful, I nearly cry every time I hear them. So, usually by the end of listening to Us I'm a mess.

I have actually never heard Ovo. Heard a few songs, but not the album itself. Father Son and Downside Up (especially live) are two of my favorites of PG's as well, though. Not a fan of The Tower that Ate People, though.

Thanks, likewise.

To be honest, the only reason I haven't been posting is because I was getting overwhelmed with how much I'd missed (I tend to read every post in this thread and the other threads I follow) and the idea of even opening the app at that point was giving me so much anxiety I tried to pretend it didn't exist, but...baby steps. I'm here now.

So, at the beginning of the year I left my job in sports to go work in the movie trailer business. It was something I'd always wanted to do, and I was getting really overwhelmed working at the place I'd been at the last two years. Made the switch and realized that I wasn't ready for a whole big upheaval in my life like that. Ended up getting really depressed, gained about 30 pounds over where I was last summer, kinda went off the rails for about two weeks somewhere in the middle of it, started seeing a therapist, realized I really really hated my new job, and wanted to go back to my old one, but felt like I'd be a huge failure if I went back. Thankfully I had a God works in mysterious ways moment, and a job I applied for back in February gave me a call back at the beginning of July and ended up hiring me on the spot. Unfortunately, they only employ part-time, so I was going to have to turn them down, when my old job (where I worked with the UFC) called me and asked me if I'd come back to work on this project they have currently going on, and we ended up working it out to where I'd come back here full-time until my new job starts in late August, and then work at both places part-time. I'll end up working more, but I'm back in a place where I'm used to, so I'm hoping over the next weeks/months my anxiety level will go back down to his basic buzzing level that I always have, instead of this very loud high strung feeling I've been having for the last 3-4 months.

So, yeah, I'm happier now, but still very stressed out. The one thing I do need, though, is consistency and friendship, so it was a mistake not to ignore my OCD and just come in here and chat with you guys. So, I'm going to at least try and fix that one.

Yeah, so...there you go.
Nice to see you back, if you're stressed, this place can be good comic relief to lighten the mood if only for a brief time. I mean look at the cast of chuckleheads we have here.
And seriously, we're always willing to lend an ear (eyeball) if you need to vent about life.

Yeah you gotta get ahold of Ovo, by any means necessary.
Sorry Mofo
Lot of good stuff on there.

As for powerfully moving stuff on Us, don't forget Washing Of The Water. What a vocal by PG. :sad:

Yeah you gotta get ahold of Ovo, by any means necessary.
Sorry Mofo
Lot of good stuff on there.

As for powerfully moving stuff on Us, don't forget Washing Of The Water. What a vocal by PG. :sad:

I'm assuming you've seen the Secret World live DVD, yeah? I have so much regret not being able to see *that* tour live.

Though I remember something really funny from the behind the scenes of the tree that popped up in the middle of the stage for Shaking the Tree. Apparently he was expecting like a big lush tree, and the thing was pretty small in the end. He said it was his own personal Stonehenge moment.

Thanks, likewise.

Yeah, so...there you go.

wow that's very.....intense, Ashley, i hope your situation will get better in future

Shaking the Tree was actually what was playing on pandora probably 10 min before i saw iyup's post yesterday. Is good.

Melt is the best Peter Gabriel album. His storytelling is spellbinding and Lillywhite's production is incredible, easily the most haunting and evocative work of his career. The flow of the album is great too; the first half in particular has a very cinematic feel to it.

Thanks for the tip. Picked it up a few days ago and really digging it. Their post-reunion output has been so overwhelming I felt out of the loop and had only heard about 4 of the albums. This one definitely sounds like a major release, best thing I've heard of this period as well.

The first thing that stands out is the guitars. A lot of great leads and riffs. Not aware of their current lineup but maybe a new addition? I also noticed a new vocalist who does lead on a few tracks. He's not bad.

So yeah, at 32 tracks it does taper off a little by the end, but it's surprisingly low on filler. Major recommendation for those who ever loved GBV (which should be everyone).

We need to talk about Cobbler.

Feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel.

Oh, uhm, I meant the new "NEW" GbV album "How Do You Spell Heaven" in stores Friday. I got my copy already directly from Rockathon Records.

Yeah, 4 months after putting out a double album Robert Pollard drops another album.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spin...ew-album-how-do-you-spell-heaven-stream?amp=1

The GBV double album was good, but not the triumph Pollard's solo album from last year was (IMO).
Will have to check the new album out, thanks for the heads up :up:

Blood of Eden is my favourite Peter Gabriel song, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom