Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P4k always shits on Alt-J, and it's the rare thing we agree on these days. They have never been an especially good band and they're definitely not improving.

P4k always shits on Alt-J, and it's the rare thing we agree on these days. They have never been an especially good band and they're definitely not improving.

Huh. If any band strikes me as Pitchfork-core, at least on the basis of their first unlistenable piece of shit (I have had no desire to listen to anything since), it's Alt-J.

That album struck me as Radiohead for people who drink Bud Lite.

Huh. If any band strikes me as Pitchfork-core, at least on the basis of their first unlistenable piece of shit (I have had no desire to listen to anything since), it's Alt-J.

That album struck me as Radiohead for people who drink Bud Lite.

That description is perfect tbh. P4k's reviews:

An Awesome Wave: 4.8/10
This Is All Yours: 4/10
Relaxer: 4.5/10

Their new album is actually worse than their last one. It really sounds like they stopped caring, and not in a good way. More like an ...And Star Power kind of way.

Just listen to this poorly arranged pile of shit, if you can:

So yeah... That's clearly the worst song on the album. Listen to this if you acutally want to here one of the best songs of the year so far.

The album is a slight disappointment as the tracks they released up front are also the best ones. But it's still pretty good. And Pitchfork's hate for the band is hilarious.

That description is perfect tbh. P4k's reviews:

An Awesome Wave: 4.8/10
This Is All Yours: 4/10
Relaxer: 4.5/10

Their new album is actually worse than their last one. It really sounds like they stopped caring, and not in a good way. More like an ...And Star Power kind of way.

Just listen to this poorly arranged pile of shit, if you can:

wow this song is horrifying

You're all totally wrong. The album is good; I said so in my review. (I will concede that the Hit Me Like That Snare song is not great.)

Next up: reviewing Fleet Foxes. I look forward to you all being wrong about that one, too.

Hey, I'm right at least! There's nothing that frustrates me more on this forum than the unwarranted Alt-J hate. :lol:

I've never listened to alt-J but those two songs sound like they're by completely different bands.
That's part of why the album is so bad. They tried to do what Angel Olsen did with her album and split the album into more upbeat and more downbeat halves, but only the slower half is listenable. Plus, both halves are so short that they just feel like underdeveloped EPs that don't add up to anything.

I think I like Ryan Adams Prisoner B Sides album more than the Prisoner album.

Same here. Prisoner, at times, sounds a bit too '80s generic rock to me. (Same flaw the Strand Of Oaks album Hard Love has). Though the album does have some gems (Tightrope!). But the B-sides album does sound stronger than the 'proper' album.
That said, I am looking forward to finally seeing Ryan Adams live in August. :)

That's part of why the album is so bad. They tried to do what Angel Olsen did with her album and split the album into more upbeat and more downbeat halves, but only the slower half is listenable. Plus, both halves are so short that they just feel like underdeveloped EPs that don't add up to anything.
It reminds me a bit of The King of Limbs in that sense. The running time is even basically the same.

Elvis Costello's album with Burt Bacharach is fucking awesome.

Two geniuses that work better together than I had expected.

My new semi-hot coworker wants me to send him newish and new music, so tonight's band is TV on the Radio. Lover's Day is the song I want send him because it's so good, but it's really inappropriate.

We may go with something else.

Wilco Sell Pencil Set Engraved With Album Titles | Pitchfork

:rolleyes:

I don't know what's lamer, this merch or the fact that Pitchfork considered it worthy of a news item post.

But why did they use a picture of John C Reilly from Kong: Skull Island

TVOTR Rushmore:

I Was a Lover / DLZ / Blues From Down Here / Second Song

I Was a Lover/Wolf Like Me/A Method/Halfway Home

TVOTR is one of those situations where one album has grown to be by far my favorite, whereas the others have kind of sunk into the background. This is beginning to happen with Arcade Fire as well (I never listen to Neon Bible or Reflektor anymore), but The Suburbs is still a favorite album of mine so it doesn't quite apply yet.

Last edited:
2017 has been such a strange year for music so far. I've discovered a lot of great new artists, plus a few artists that I wouldn't normally expect greatness from really stepped their game up.

If we were to do our B&C year-end countdown right now, my list would look like this (click on the album title for a track from it):

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
Jay Som - Everybody Works
Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Sampha - Process
(Sandy) Alex G - Rocket
tricot - 3
Slowdive - Slowdive
Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
Beach Fossils - Somersault
Suiyoubi no Campanella - Superman
Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness
Idles - Brutalism
Ryan Adams - Prisoner
Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now

A lot of really good indie rock, which is a nice change of pace from the past few years. But yeah, mostly it's the unfamiliar faces that are drawing me in lately. Spoon, Mac Demarco, Los Camp, etc. did their thing but not enough to rank way up there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom