Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured AOTY would look something like

Adele - 25
David Bowie - Blackstar
Beyonce - Lemonade
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Drake - Views

What we got instead was just odd. I heard that Bieber record and while it's an improvement, it's not much of an album.

I wouldn't call Backstar very accessible, then again Kid A got the AOTY nomination. Let's just be glad it was recognized at all. And I'd say there's a very good chance he wins the Alternative Album award.

Nice to see Rihanna getting a good number of noms, too bad the one for Record of the Year is one of the album's weakest tracks (Work), and another weaker one nominated for Best R&B performance (Needed Me). At least Kiss It Better was recognized; it's probably her best chance to win. I imagine she'll lose in every category she's competing with Beyonce, unfortunately.

And fuck Drake.

Last edited:
I firmly believe that the committee should be putting their efforts into finding a cross-section music that appeals to casual listeners and dedicated music listeners. As such, Anti really should have been there over Bieber. Lemonade fits that mold. Blonde sold nearly 300k copies first week and is a consensus AOTY contender among major publications. Blackstar and A Moon Shaped Pool sold well and were enormous critical favorites by artists with huge fanbases. The Life of Pablo was one of the most talked about albums of the year and received better reviews than Adele, Drake or Bieber.

Picking a bunch of single vehicles that no one listened to all the way through and then tacking Sturgill Simpson on the end for the sake of credibility is inconsistent at best and insulting at worst.

But it's the Grammys, so I guess I shouldn't expect anything else.

Last edited:
I don't care. It's something to criticize for 5 minutes.

I haven't actually watched the telecast in ages.

Despite how garbage the whole thing is, it's still nice to see bands like the Arcade Fire and Daft Punk win AOTY, something that would have been unthinkable before 2000.

I firmly believe that the committee should be putting their efforts into finding a cross-section music that appeals to casual listeners and dedicated music listeners. As such, Anti really should have been there over Bieber. Lemonade fits that mold. Blonde sold nearly 300k copies first week and is a consensus AOTY contender among major publications. Blackstar and A Moon Shaped Pool sold well and were enormous critical favorites by artists with huge fanbases. The Life of Pablo was one of the most talked about albums of the year and received better reviews than Adele, Drake or Bieber.

Blonde is indeed the biggest shocker considering how Ocean had already established himself and how good the reviews were.

Just read an article about Spotify and Apple Music regarding the revenue they bring in. Got me thinking, why isn't Google Music doing better? I think it's by far the best streaming service out there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using U2 Interference mobile app

I've been wondering that as well. I use it and think it's great. They don't really promote it though.

I've been wondering that as well. I use it and think it's great. They don't really promote it though.

Yeah, that might be it.

This whole "Made by Google" thing might bring it back to the forefront though. I switched to the Pixel XL because I was so unhappy with iOS 10 and wow did I miss Google Music. So much smoother than Apple Music and I hate Spotify's UI.

Blonde is indeed the biggest shocker considering how Ocean had already established himself and how good the reviews were.

Ocean actually removed himself from consideration, didn't he? I heard he didn't submit Blonde to the Academy for any Grammys.

Just read an article about Spotify and Apple Music regarding the revenue they bring in. Got me thinking, why isn't Google Music doing better? I think it's by far the best streaming service out there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using U2 Interference mobile app

It is easily my favorite since I lost Grooveshark. I think the reason may have something to do with less advertising, plus this:

What Streaming Music Services Pay — Information is Beautiful

Folks, are we doing a best of 2016 thread this year? I need to get new music recommendations!

Where's PFan when you need him?

Why did no one tell me there is a new, really good Alcest album out? This is a nice surprise.

Folks, are we doing a best of 2016 thread this year? I need to get new music recommendations!

Where's PFan when you need him?

I was just thinking about this as well. Each year, I look forward to what everyone here considers their favorites.

Elfa, point well taken. Let's just think of this as a quiet celebration of the bright spots in an otherwise horrible year.

Ok, let's see if PFan comes back by the weekend, otherwise I'll set up a thread.

Why did no one tell me there is a new, really good Alcest album out? This is a nice surprise.

Mate, pay more attention to me! I know it's not worth it 9 times out of 10, but there's that one time my opinion isn't shit.

I'd say it's not as good as Souvenirs or Shelter, the band's two perfect albums, but better than Les Voyages and Ecailles de Lune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom