Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:( So sorry to hear that, Tourist. No one should have to go through that. I can't imagine how you must feel. So sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear the news, tourist. I now remember the time when my mother had miscarriage in 2001, which was her darkest time; evidentially she got OCD soon after and I don't think she has recovered fully from that. But there is always a light end of the tunnel, tourist. In my mom's case, I think it was when my baby brother was born 4 years ago.

Hey guys. I know I don't post here often. And I know some of you don't like me as a person on the internet. Filters and whatnot.

I am probably going to go away from posting for a long while.

I didn't say that 2016 could piss off like most have. Not until Wednesday at noon when I got a call from my wife. Our baby boy, who was six months along in the womb, had passed away. We got to see him and for that we are thankful. Our beautiful little Archie is gone. My heart is just so incredibly heavy. These have been the darkest two days in my life. They will probably be the darkest two days I ever experience.

Anyway, I'm sorry for interrupting the random music talk with something so incredibly heavy. Thoughts and prayers for peace and healing would be appreciated.

That sucks man.

Last edited:
What I hope is that you and your wife can give it another go and have a beautiful, healthy child. And I'm sure he or she will be a kick ass electric guitar player. In the family tradition.

Hey guys. I know I don't post here often. And I know some of you don't like me as a person on the internet. Filters and whatnot.

I didn't say that 2016 could piss off like most have. Not until Wednesday at noon when I got a call from my wife. Our baby boy, who was six months along in the womb, had passed away. We got to see him and for that we are thankful. Our beautiful little Archie is gone. My heart is just so incredibly heavy. These have been the darkest two days in my life. They will probably be the darkest two days I ever experience.

Anyway, I'm sorry for interrupting the random music talk with something so incredibly heavy. Thoughts and prayers for peace and healing would be appreciated.

So sorry Tourist :(

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The most irritating thing about avalanches, to me, is when the snow covers you and you can't breathe and ultimate panic sets in.

I'm so sorry for your loss Tourist. My deepest condolences to you and your wife.

I know it's one of those bands only i care about in here, but Micky Fitz from the Business died a few days ago, keeping in them theme of everyone dies in 2016.

So Childish Gambino, who I've never been big on because I was sad he prioritised a mediocre, hella overrated rap career over comedic acting, has just released a fucking great pure funk album. There's no rapping. It's legit straight funk. So shocked.

I wrote a rather lengthy review of it on RYM. The album is...good! Much, much better than his garbage attempts at "outsider" hip hop. I can leave it on and have a great time with it purely as a fan of funk.

That said, it's streets behind the funk classics (Maggot Brain, There's a Riot Goin' On, Innervisions, etc.) and the finest examples of funk and neo-soul that this decade has had to offer (New Amerykah Part Two, Black Messiah, To Pimp a Butterfly). It kind of feels like karaoke in spots as it lacks a strong musical fingerprint, and after a solid year of thoughtful, inspired television writing, Glover's lyrics feel pat to me throughout, like they're stand-ins for something better that he never got around to.

But...no struggle bars! Y U LYIN GIRL??? Y U MUFASA???

Last edited:
Oh I don't think anyone's claiming it's anywhere near the level of those records. It's just good fun!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

California is the only song on there that I actively dislike. The music is cute, but he's doing too much with the vocals. Otherwise, it's a smooth ride.

My hope for the album is that Gambino fans backtrack about 40 years and investigate some of Glover's influences if they haven't already. He has great taste.

I'm only one for hyperbole when it comes to recently-leaked albums, but that is the worst list of Grammy nominees I've ever seen.

I'm only one for hyperbole when it comes to recently-leaked albums, but that is the worst list of Grammy nominees I've ever seen.

Yeah, album of the year is absurd. Zoomerang already mentioned in the RH thread about how AMSP didn't get a nod.

But also, no Blackstar? After they went out of their way to have a tribute to Bowie at the last grammys?

Solange and Angel Olsen's records are probably better than any of the nominees imo too.

Also, this is probably just me since this forum isn't that high on them, but I'd take the new Chili Peppers' record The Getaway over any of the nominees as well.

I'm not really a Kanye fan, but I know a bunch of you would think Pablo should be there too.

Yeah, album of the year is absurd. Zoomerang already mentioned in the RH thread about how AMSP didn't get a nod.

But also, no Blackstar? After they went out of their way to have a tribute to Bowie at the last grammys?

Solange and Angel Olsen's records are probably better than any of the nominees imo too.

Also, this is probably just me since this forum isn't that high on them, but I'd take the new Chili Peppers' record The Getaway over any of the nominees as well.

I'm not really a Kanye fan, but I know a bunch of you would think Pablo should be there too.

I figured AOTY would look something like

Adele - 25
David Bowie - Blackstar
Beyonce - Lemonade
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Drake - Views

What we got instead was just odd. I heard that Bieber record and while it's an improvement, it's not much of an album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom