Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually liked a lot of Thank You :reject:

Thank You, Perfect Day, and Lay Lady Lay are all really good.

White Lines was good.

And as bizarre as it is; I appreciated their take on 911 is a Joke.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

On the subject of sampling oneself, didn't Trent Reznor sample himself, within the same album.

Pretty Hate Machine? I can't recall the exact songs right now.

The new Flaming Lips single from the upcoming album is super underwhelming.

So I'm slow on discovering this guy, but man this last year I've been listening to him a lot. Iron's post reminded me of him.

Anyone like Phosphorescent? Do yourself a favor and check out Song for Zula and Ride On.

If I had continued on and really pursued music as a career, this is probably the closest thing to the sound and mood I wanted to create.

Coincidentally, the only band I can think of off the top of my head who has sampled themselves is from New Zealand. The Naked and Famous.

Ha, have they? I don't think I've noticed.

Their new album is... very generic. Basically what you'd get if you wrote a programme to spit out songs based on their first two albums.

Ha, have they? I don't think I've noticed.

Their new album is... very generic. Basically what you'd get if you wrote a programme to spit out songs based on their first two albums.

This is just off the top of my head, so I might be wrong. I doubt it's a formal 'sample' per say, but listen to the end of Girls Like You and then listen to Grow Old. Judging the content, my understanding is that they're intentionally referencing their own material.

I haven't listened to their new album, but I didn't like the lead single at all. I'll have to give it a go soon, since I do love their other two albums. But just based upon the lead single, I already got a "generic" and downright boring vibe from it.

So I saw Kanye on Wednesday in Seattle and it was an amazing show, but he only played an hour and a half? What the hell? Does anyone else feel that established artists playing a headlining show should play at least 2 hours?

Also, he said there's not gonna be a Watch the Throne 2 because of some "Tidal/Apple bullshit."

Apparently he had a fallout with Jay-Z, but I haven't looked into it any further.

And I agree that established artists should play at least 2 hours, especially for the prices they are charging nowadays. 90 minutes is too short.

Kanye played two hours on the Yeezus tour, or maybe more like 110 minutes. Surprised to hear he's only doing 90 now.

Apparently he had a fallout with Jay-Z, but I haven't looked into it any further.

He said that Jay-Z's kids and his kids don't play together anymore and that if Jay wanted to know how Kim was doing after she was robbed, he should stop by the house, not just call. He interrupted 3 songs to rant about Jay and "Tidal Apple bullshit" at the show I was at.

He also had the beat going for N***as in Paris and then went "stop, stop, stop" and then played Can't Tell Me Nothing instead.

This is just off the top of my head, so I might be wrong. I doubt it's a formal 'sample' per say, but listen to the end of Girls Like You and then listen to Grow Old. Judging the content, my understanding is that they're intentionally referencing their own material.

I haven't listened to their new album, but I didn't like the lead single at all. I'll have to give it a go soon, since I do love their other two albums. But just based upon the lead single, I already got a "generic" and downright boring vibe from it.

Just listened to them back to back and I see what you mean. Hadn't even really noticed that before!

I can't help but feel that the new album is a watered down version of Passive Me, Aggressive You.

I really liked the first two TNAFs but I agree that the latest seems a bit lacklustre and self-derivative on first impressions. I like the synthy stuff with soaring vocals more than the luke-warm punk. The autotune at the end of Losing Our Control makes me think I'm listening to The Weeknd.

Last Forever and The Runners initially stand out, nothing else excites me atm.

There's 10 of us left and there's, like, max three of us who are interested in Daft Punk. I'm one of them and I saw the news and my reaction was "cool!"

He said that Jay-Z's kids and his kids don't play together anymore and that if Jay wanted to know how Kim was doing after she was robbed, he should stop by the house, not just call. He interrupted 3 songs to rant about Jay and "Tidal Apple bullshit" at the show I was at.

He also had the beat going for N***as in Paris and then went "stop, stop, stop" and then played Can't Tell Me Nothing instead.

This just made me really randomly sad. Like... I feel like two of my childhood friends had a falling out and I'm sitting there watching both of them all like, 'don't do thiiiiisss'.

you've summoned me. sars.

Has Duran Duran's "The Chauffeur" been sampled? There's some dope beats going on in this song.
agreed. it's awesome. it's a really underrated track (i mean not within the duran duran community, but in the music community as a whole).

They sampled themselves? That's kind of sad, really.
it's kind of a misnomer. it's not really a sample as a sort of re-imagining, i'd say. they're two totally different songs. the only things the two have in common is one line (it's sung by a different person so it's not even actually sampled) and i don't even really think any of the music is sampled. i'd say more like the mood or atmosphere is sampled, which sounds pretentious but i just mean like it's on a covers album, it's the only track on there written by them, but it's sorta inspired by one of their own songs.

I actually liked a lot of Thank You :reject:

Thank You, Perfect Day, and Lay Lady Lay are all really good.

White Lines was good.

And as bizarre as it is; I appreciated their take on 911 is a Joke.
agreed on all counts. white lines is great and continues to be great live. 911 is a joke cops way too much flak as being the worst (or one of the worst) songs ever. it was a great punching bag in the mid-to-late 90s. yes it's not their best, i'm not going to pretend it's perfection. but there are far worse songs that were released around that time (like even considered to be crap critically), but critics liked giving duran duran crap in the 80s and 90s, and once they covered a rap song then they REALLY liked giving them crap.

whether you like the band or not, you can't say they haven't taken risks.

That first half of Preoccupations album ?So up my alley.

It's gorgeous.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

There's 10 of us left and there's, like, max three of us who are interested in Daft Punk. I'm one of them and I saw the news and my reaction was "cool!"

I would like them to release one more album before they go on tour, though. Not sure why, but

Can't remember if I mentioned this but I saw Future Islands a few weeks back and their lead singer is one of the best live performers I've ever seen.

Can't remember if I mentioned this but I saw Future Islands a few weeks back and their lead singer is one of the best live performers I've ever seen.

He's also got one of the downright sexiest voices in recording. I've been dying to see them, and if I could choose to have anyone's voice... that right there is the perfect singing voice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom