Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely hip hop is broad and diverse enough to warrant its own hall of fame rather than getting co-opted/subsumed within the rock hall.

Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and Run-DMC are there because of their hard rock samples and concerted efforts to bridge the two genres, but I'm honestly not sure what 2Pac contributed to rock music. Considering how many tremendous, deeply important rock artists still haven't come close to being inducted, I think we can hold off on reaching for golden age rap for now.

I discovered this album on a whim, but it's one of the better folk-ish records I've heard in a while.

The term "Rock n Roll", what does it mean anymore? It's changed and evolved since its inception so many times.

If it were to stick to some strict definition would any band that debuted in the last few years even be eligible 25 years from now, or would the HOF just die?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So, if I get tickets tomorrow morning, I might get to see Kanye for the first time on New Year's Eve in Brooklyn. :drool:

Kendrick has gotten just as good as Kanye at stage command tbh and his live backing is a blast to watch.

Kanye will always have a better stage setup though.

Kendrick is ~probably~ better, especially because of the full band, but can't quite replicate the blood rush that is a Kanye gig.

Kendrick was absolutely incredible when I saw him this summer. But from what I've read, Kanye's Pablo Tour has been outstanding. I like the concept of the suspended stage.

I can't talk myself into a Roger Waters cheap seat. I've felt like shit for 2 1/2 months, so the idea of committing to Staples, even next June, is a little daunting,

Will I be sorry? Will there be tickets left?

And Travis, I dug the hell out of Requiem. Didn't hear all that much Dungen in it, but I dug it all the same.

And Travis, I dug the hell out of Requiem. Didn't hear all that much Dungen in it, but I dug it all the same.

The reason I made the comparison is because both bands started off with heavier psych rock albums before taking a turn towards more gentle psychedelic folk. Requiem is their Skit I Allt.

Which would make World Music their Ta Det Lugnt. And that's really damn high praise coming from me.

The reason I made the comparison is because both bands started off with heavier psych rock albums before taking a turn towards more gentle psychedelic folk. Requiem is their Skit I Allt.

Which would make World Music their Ta Det Lugnt. And that's really damn high praise coming from me.

Ah. I get it now.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Surely hip hop is broad and diverse enough to warrant its own hall of fame rather than getting co-opted/subsumed within the rock hall.

This.

The term "Rock n Roll", what does it mean anymore? It's changed and evolved since its inception so many times.

If it were to stick to some strict definition would any band that debuted in the last few years even be eligible 25 years from now, or would the HOF just die?

It's a hall of fame. If the genre has pretty much ceased to be, then don't force it to continue existing past a certain point. It's a great museum as it is. If you force entries, you're just cheapening the entire thing.

Tonight was yet another reminder that I don't listen to Tumbleweed Connection often enough. What an album.

Has Duran Duran's "The Chauffeur" been sampled? There's some dope beats going on in this song.

The Chauffeur (1982)
was sampled in
Systems Overload by The Criminal Minds (1991)
Drive By by Duran Duran (1995)
A Taste of Armageddon by The Criminal Minds (1990)

They sampled themselves? That's kind of sad, really.

Why? If it is a good sample, used creatively, then what's wrong with sampling yourself?
Just based on my hearing artists like Prince, Primal Scream (Loaded!) and De La Soul (who just released a full album with samples they first created themselves) have done this before too.

Well, to be perfectly honest it's not as if I listen to much sample-based music, or artists who use samples heavily, but I thought the whole point was to use somebody else's music in creative and new ways and that using yourself would be viewed as self-indulgent.

Drive By was on a covers album Thank You and i think it was supposed to be a clever "Hey we are also covering ourselves".

The follow up to their 90's comeback The Wedding Album, Thank You was very very very poorly received.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom